converting tractor 3 pt hitch woodsplitter to gas,trailer woor splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
converting tractor mounted 3 pt hitch wood splitter

I have a homemade splitter that is tractor hydraulic driven (slow) with a backhoe cylinder and made like a tank that i want to put an axle,hitch,pump,reservoir ,and engine on.It is mounted on a 2 ft I beam and has a remote already mounted to the unt. It worked well in 1977 but the faster gas models were not around then and i want the mobility without having to move the 85 hp tractor to my wood cutting locations.Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.I have a torch and welder and have been read the tractor has 6 gpm pump inside and i would like to almost triple that.Which gas engine would pull a 22 gpm 2 stage pump and where can a salvageable pump be found,industrial trash compactor/dumpster etc?Thanks for all and any ideas.:msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
12+ HP will run a 22 GPM 2 stage pump. 2 stage pumps are pretty much unique to wood splitters, most every other application I've seen uses single stage pumps, but you'll be looking at 35+hp to run a 22GPM single stage pump.

Regardless, I'd probably spring for a new pump and save by scrounging on the steel, axles, even the motor, a used pump that gives up the ghost after a couple hours can easily turn into more money than buying new in the first place.

Good luck with the project, and if I were doing it, I'd look for a torsion axle for a little suspension if you're going to be roading it much.

You realize we're gonna want to see some pics right? :msp_biggrin:

I built mine for my tractor,but was putting a lot of hours on tractor,so I put a axle from a mini van and a 18hp engine,forgot what 2 stage pump I used I can still carry it with tractor.

I built mine for my tractor,but was putting a lot of hours on tractor,so I put a axle from a mini van and a 18hp engine,forgot what 2 stage pump I used I can still carry it with tractor.

I like the fact you're splitting where you dropped the tree! Less handling the better!

267752d1355592512-spliter-001-jpg

Latest posts

Back