Cooking on your wood stove top!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often have a big pot of water on my stove.

Makes excellent HOT water to pour into the dish basin to soak dirty dishes!

Growing up we kept a pot of water on the stove, but on top of a grate so it didn't sit directly on the stove in case it boiled out.

This weeks cooking: Just Ducky: October Nor'Easter Memorial Corn Chowder

that looks pretty good! Anybody fry eggs on their woodstove? Seems like a smaller fire might be appropriate for eggs?

I find it takes longer to fry on the stove at normal operating temperatures then on the electric stove set to high. But it does work fine.

I do have a cast iron frying pan I'll try soon (have to get it seasoned first), but I reckon that'll take a while to heat up before I can crack an egg into it...I like a hot pan when frying eggs so they get a crispy outside :)

Might try and find a flat bottomed dutch oven this winter to play with on top.

What about the issue of the dust/filth layer that tends to build on a woodstove as if it's dust magnetic? Is the secret to cover everything, or just eat the grime and be hardcore?

Left-over BK double cheeseburger(s) from last night's plowing marathon. Take them out of the cold truck--- 5 min on the shop stove (in the wax paper), flip & let sit for another 5---- BETTER than they are right off the counter/drive through window.

Left-over BK double cheeseburger(s) from last night's plowing marathon. Take them out of the cold truck--- 5 min on the shop stove (in the wax paper), flip & let sit for another 5---- BETTER than they are right off the counter/drive through window.

I don't think any of the fast food companys cook their food enough either. With taco bell being the worst. The last couple times i went to 'Bell the food was roughly 75 degrees. No thanks.

At camp, we always keep a couple of kettles on the top level of the old Elmira. We'll cook stews, soups on top as well. I made a grate attached to a metal handle approx. 42" long that we can barbeque steaks and chops on over the hot embers. I used to have a vice attached to a big stump. I'd put the meat on the grate then secure the handle in the vice to hold it over the coals. I could move the stump around to get the meat positioned just right then sit back and watch it cook. Wife didn't like the vice/stump set up. Said it didn't go with the decor? Women????

Gas range gets no use from Sept through May. Stovetop cooks everything from grilled cheese to exotic sautees. Cookstove oven bakes all from pies to whole chickens to English muffin pizzas.

Twice a year we get notices from the propane company that they're threatening to cut off supply. We only need 3 fill ups a year for the 40 gal. tank, mostly for hot water.

Wood heat warms the home and fills our tummies!!!

Get your own tank,,,and tell them to kiss a rock...Get one of the tanks,,that used to be,,in the back of pickups,,that had a propane conversion. Most of those,,were 80 gal wet. Just make sure the build tag is still on the tank..or the propane co wont fill it. You may have to purchase, and put a vapor valve on it. Most of those tanks,,have the port for the vapor. The conversion used liquid.

At camp, we always keep a couple of kettles on the top level of the old Elmira. We'll cook stews, soups on top as well. I made a grate attached to a metal handle approx. 42" long that we can barbeque steaks and chops on over the hot embers. I used to have a vice attached to a big stump. I'd put the meat on the grate then secure the handle in the vice to hold it over the coals. I could move the stump around to get the meat positioned just right then sit back and watch it cook. Wife didn't like the vice/stump set up. Said it didn't go with the decor? Women????

They have no sense of outdoorsness!!!!!!

They have no sense of outdoorsness!!!!!!

Some don't. That's for sure. Especially the "designer" type who have to keep things ever so tastily decorated. Over the years I've watched the camp go from a walk-in-with-your-boot-on place to a freaking shrine to all things feminine. It's not a camp anymore. It's just another place to piss money away on expensive junk.

I laid the law down when the wife started "organizing" my garage. That's ass-kicking territory right there......

Stay - the - f*** - OUT!!!

Some don't. That's for sure. Especially the "designer" type who have to keep things ever so tastily decorated. Over the years I've watched the camp go from a walk-in-with-your-boot-on place to a freaking shrine to all things feminine. It's not a camp anymore. It's just another place to piss money away on expensive junk.

I laid the law down when the wife started "organizing" my garage. That's ass-kicking territory right there......

Murder victims waiting to happen, some of them. Because "organizing" always ends up meaning "throwing or giving items away that have high monetary value."

We have a OWB at home and a wood stove at the cabin. We always keep a pot of hot water on the stove. During hunting season we like to make a big pot of stew and let that simmer during the day. The wife like to let the stove go down to hot coals and we'll do hot dogs over the hot coals.

Another suggestion on the woodstove baked potatoes. I lightly coat the skin of the baking potato with vegtable oil and then roll them in coarse salt, like ice cream salt. I wrap them in foil and put in the stove. The salt coating on the skin makes them like the ones you get in high dollar eateries if you do it right.

Steve

====

How's that working out for ya????

====

How's that working out for ya????

Pretty good actually.

Every couple year or so when the last tongue lashing wears off, she needs a bit of a refresher. However, as you're well aware, they will NEVER give up. Never...... Hence, unwavering vigilance to protect the man cave where ever it may be.

Stove top cooking

An old friend and good cook, referred to his kitchen having a microwave, and his Fisher Baby Bear in the flue of the old cookstove, his macrowave. He would put a sheet metal box on top to bake.

An old friend and good cook, referred to his kitchen having a microwave, and his Fisher Baby Bear in the flue of the old cookstove, his macrowave. He would put a sheet metal box on top to bake.

You know, a sheet metal box maybe the size of a toaster oven is a damn good idea. Damn good. I have a toaster oven from the 80's somebody gave me years ago. It's big, it's made of steel, and i'll be damned if i'm not thinking of gutting every flammable and electronic part from it and seeing what the shell& rack will do on top of my woodstove. Great idea.:clap:

Bricks

You know, a sheet metal box maybe the size of a toaster oven is a damn good idea. Damn good. I have a toaster oven from the 80's somebody gave me years ago. It's big, it's made of steel, and i'll be damned if i'm not thinking of gutting every flammable and electronic part from it and seeing what the shell& rack will do on top of my woodstove. Great idea.:clap:

I used to stack up bricks on top of mine to make a box, then slide something in there to bake, then stack bricks in front of the opening for a door. The top is a flat piece of sheet metal with bricks on top of that, the sheet metal is just to hold them up there.

GF here hates to use the wood heater to cook on, claims it is slow and stupid and will ruin her pans.

So I wait until she is away visiting relatives and cook on it then. I cook everything I eat on the woodstove. We have an electric stove/oven and...it's an electric! It ain't natcheral! When she is gone it is grill time outside in the summer or on the woodstove in the winter. I don't even turn that electric thing on.

Get your own tank,,,and tell them to kiss a rock...Get one of the tanks,,that used to be,,in the back of pickups,,that had a propane conversion. Most of those,,were 80 gal wet. Just make sure the build tag is still on the tank..or the propane co wont fill it. You may have to purchase, and put a vapor valve on it. Most of those tanks,,have the port for the vapor. The conversion used liquid.

timely comment thx as our water tank now leaks. Electric makes more sense since gas needs are limited to seasonal cooking, Willing to tell my gas vendor to pound sand since the $30 rangee (retail $1000) can be switched for a $100 unit to run electric for the few months we need to supplement wood, If Gasco wont support our needs, wood heat gives us the flx to tellem to pound sand

There are woodstove stove top ovens. Antique ones run about 12"x12"x12". Google it: antique stove top oven

There's a couple on e-bay right now.

Shari

Latest posts

Back