Wood stove repair/rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave ensign

Trapshooter
Reaction score
Anybody ever put a new inner top in a Consolidated Dutchwest Model FA224, FA264, or FA288. Looks to be a bit of a job but my 35 year old stove needs some TLC during the off season come spring.

I've got the same issue with a Sierra 8000 TEC. Still serviceable, no cracks on the outer stove steel but the baffle/combustor plate and bypass have some cracks and bending. If it gets worse I won't be able to use the cumbustor efficiently. Not an easy fix.

Greenie,

I have been able to get away with RUTTLAND cement available at TSC but I need to fix this issue. I like to know how somebody did with the replacement, these stoves weigh a ton and the bolts are hidden, few, far between, and parts are not cheap. Somebody out there has done this, need them to speak up. I love my stove and hope I can save it. Durchwest changed the inner top and I think that was because the early design was a problem.

Dave

Greenie,

I have been able to get away with RUTTLAND cement available at TSC but I need to fix this issue. I like to know how somebody did with the replacement, these stoves weigh a ton and the bolts are hidden, few, far between, and parts are not cheap. Somebody out there has done this, need them to speak up. I love my stove and hope I can save it. Durchwest changed the inner top and I think that was because the early design was a problem.

Dave

Anybody ever put a new inner top in a Consolidated Dutchwest Model FA224, FA264, or FA288. Looks to be a bit of a job but my 35 year old stove needs some TLC during the off season come spring.
You might want to head over to ********** forum, lots of woodstove knowledge there.

Ok, looks like my reply was censored. What I was trying to say has a Hearth followed by a dot followed by a com…. Guess I broke the rule

I did mine last year on a 2461 ,20 year old stove. Not sure if they are similar or not. Wasn't a big deal. Stripped it down, chiseled the cement, then electric wire brush to the mating surfaces. Generous Rutland cement with an extra set of hands on reassembly.
Maybe 4 hours total, parts readily available, but be sure to get OEM rather than chicom knock offs.

Dave,

Which particular model do you have? I have the 264, and will be stripping mine down this spring as well for a rebuild.

You might want to head over to ********** forum, lots of woodstove knowledge there.
Furnace cement isn't going to repair my stove - the existing plate will need to be cut out and a new plate fabricated and welded in place. The forum you suggested was hidden by asterisks' .....

Back