Cool pic from above ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY climber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am VERY new to climbing ... only got all this gear in the last 2 months .
But all I have to say is ... this is pretty exciting for a newbie !:clap:
I chose this as a challenging alternative to paying someone to remove my 5 trees in my backyard .
They are all Fir trees ranging 65' to 80' tall .
I have had a chainsaw for years ... but have only ever used it for bucking up firewood . Most of that was already on the ground ... windfalls ect.
I have spent the last few months learning from ; watching videos / reading forums / reading the Tree Climber's Companion / and watching a few episodes of Heli-Loggers :blush:
I spent about a grand at TREESTUFF.com on climbing gear / rigging rope / whoopie sling ect.
On my first 15 or so "learning climbs" I only ever carried a 14" Corona handsaw .
Now that I have built up some confidence , and bought Labonville "full wrap" saw chaps ...
I am now wielding my brand new ms200t ! !
WOW ! ! What a production improvement improvement , and effort saver that is .
I currently have all 5 trees limbed up to around 55' where they were once all topped around 15 years ago .
Very soon I will be re-topping the twin tops they have developed .
Then chunking them down to the ground .
No pressure just a few hours each day off I get , weather permitting .
FWIW I am 40 years old and for many years I worked for a contractor / builder . We preformed a few massive re-models and built several houses with high roofs , so working at height , while operating power tools was not a new concept to me . I currently work at a Paper Mill where we have an elaborate safety training program including rigging training / fall protection ect. OK , enuf of my introductory rambling ... nice to meet you all ... here is my favorite pic from today.
treewallshrunk2.jpg

Last edited:
Other than the new look of the fence I would have to say ..nice job . I just hope this post doesnt encourage to many DIYers to try it . IDK if U got any prices from a pro but I know you dropped some cash on that gear . Mit have been enough to pay for the job. But of course you still have the gear. Gotta luv that 200T!!

I would be interested to hear how you plan your cuts along with pictures. Might end up saving more than just your pride if it has the potential to turn out wrong.
Steve W.

Fence

The fence damage was from entirely natural causes ... wind storm ... 2 winters ago .

I used to have 6 trees ... and yes ... I always double tie in (one steel core) before I ever start the saw .

I know the basic notch 1/3 ... back cut just slightly high ... create a hinge ... theory . but even then ... I am only dropping like 12' christmas tree tops ... and I will still have my ground guy (19 year old nephew ) gently tug on a rope to help direct fall .

Thanks for the input ... it all helps .

Nice view. Just be safe. A 12' cristmas tree top is still going to ruin your day if it ends up in your lap. :cheers:

Cut those nubs flush lil brother.......they can hang ropes when lowering limbs.

practice good habits whether you need to or not.:cheers:

good job, pesky fences do tend to get in the way.........:D

I agree.

lmao @ pesky fences. I would imagine 5 trees 65-80ft at 500 a tree. Might be breaking even, but then you still have all the cool ####.

Be safe

I realize that I didn't really "save" any money doing this ...
I love tools ... the smell/sound of 2-cycle gas burning ...
I took this on as a personal challenge ... an accomplishment to be proud of .
I have worked with dangerous powertools / heavy equip. my whole adult life .
Using proper PPE and following proper work practices , I have done alot and only ever gotten a few stiches / bumps bruises .

Those nubs sticking out of the tree were from my hand saw practice several days ago ... I already cut them off on my way down yesterday .
When that pic was taken I had only run my new 200t about 30 seconds total ... and I was excited to get a few branches up higher ...

Here's another "pic from above" ...

Yard3.jpg

The fence damage was from entirely natural causes ... wind storm ... 2 winters ago .

I used to have 6 trees ... and yes ... I always double tie in (one steel core) before I ever start the saw .

I know the basic notch 1/3 ... back cut just slightly high ... create a hinge ... theory . but even then ... I am only dropping like 12' christmas tree tops ... and I will still have my ground guy (19 year old nephew ) gently tug on a rope to help direct fall .

Thanks for the input ... it all helps .

Well in that case looks like a good job then. Nice work

I realize that I didn't really "save" any money doing this ...
I love tools ... the smell/sound of 2-cycle gas burning ...
I took this on as a personal challenge ... an accomplishment to be proud of .
I have worked with dangerous powertools / heavy equip. my whole adult life .
Using proper PPE and following proper work practices , I have done alot and only ever gotten a few stiches / bumps bruises .

Those nubs sticking out of the tree were from my hand saw practice several days ago ... I already cut them off on my way down yesterday .
When that pic was taken I had only run my new 200t about 30 seconds total ... and I was excited to get a few branches up higher ...

Here's another "pic from above" ...

Yard3.jpg

Cool pic . Next time up ,if it;s the same time of day ,you should try to get a pic of your shadow silhouette[hanging from climbline] on your rooftop.
Would make for a cool ass pic.

BTW am I the only one who saw this pic and thought how much fun it would be to throw a log chunk onto the trampoline[if nothing was in the way ,of course]and bounce it into a pile.

Come to think of it,,,,,I do have some good size trees in my back yard ,and the kids did get a new trampoline for Xmas............................Nah,,,,,I'd better not.

I currently have all 5 trees limbed up to around 55' where they were once all topped around 15 years ago .
Very soon I will be re-topping the twin tops they have developed .

DIY,

If you haven't figured it out already, getting up into those newly regrown tops is where this project can get a little sketchy. What you've often got is a top or tops attached only as strong, or even less strong, as a branch attachment.

By all means, examine those attachments with a critical eye, if the bark between the new top and the old trunk is furrowed up, or if the new top is "levered" you may need more precautionary techniques than just good PPE.

So many variables on how Doug Firs grow new tops...hard to go into here.

One technique: If you have one with a top you've already climbed and can trust next to one that is questionable, keep it as your lifeline tie-in-point while you work the creaky one(s), keep slack out of your line while you do so.

Another: Bind the sketchy tops together above you as you go.

So far so good, DIY! But if you run into anything you think you CAN'T trust, call in a pro, or at least bring it here with some pics...

RedlineIt

BTW am I the only one who saw this pic and thought how much fun it would be to throw a log chunk onto the trampoline[if nothing was in the way ,of course]and bounce it into a pile.

Naw, I thought about it too, but wasn't gonna say anthing - didn't want any negative rep ya know.:)

I'm more worried now about the shed underneath, that wasn't in the first pic. Hope your ropes in good shape, pulley locked in and your nephew fully briefed on the plan.

Looks like you got the firepit going for when you come down. Work safe and enjoy the view.

Hey DIY..just wanna say I understand COMPLETELY bout the money part . Sometimes it's just not bout the cash . What U r doing is a challenge...and its lets face it.....ITS TOTALLY COOL. An just for good measure....be careful. But you know that. And Oh ya...did u buy the boots for the job also?? what kind r they?

I have no intention to climb on the new twin tops ... I intend to reach up a few feet past the crotch to tie on a rope ... then to make my cut just a couple inches up from the "elbow" where these tops straighten back out . I am no artist ... but here is a rude sketch of what I have in mind ... including a groundie pull rope just higher than I can show on that sketch . The tops are 6"-8" where I plan to cut them .
toppingsplittop2.jpg

Last edited:
Back