Cool redwood video from 1947

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty amazing. Can't imagine climbing a tree that large in diameter and height and then topping it with an axe.

pretty amazing. Can't imagine climbing a tree that large in diameter and height and then topping it with an axe.

Holy chopping a giant redwood down with an ax Batman!!!!! Don't you wish you could go back in time and show up on site with a ported 880/3120 or some other monster saw? Cool video thread starter, thanks for posting. Anybody here want to put down the saw and do it old school?

Holy chopping a giant redwood down with an ax Batman!!!!! Don't you wish you could go back in time and show up on site with a ported 880/3120 or some other monster saw? Cool video thread starter, thanks for posting. Anybody here want to put down the saw and do it old school?

Seriously..I think I feel like a bada** when I run my 460 for 10 hours cannot imagine swinging an axe for that kind of time. I feel like I need to go fell a tree with an axe tomorrow haha.

Nice video...
I have been to the states a few years ago on a roadtrip i CA. I have seen both the Coast Redwood ad SF and the Giant Sequoia in Sierra Nevada. The most beautiful trees I have ever seen!!!

Thanks for not cutting down them all:clap:

It is said that 96% of the Old Growth Redwoods have been harvested. I believe that number is wrong, not that it matters much now.
That old film was made in Humboldt County, probably Pacific Lumber lands, some did seem familiar to me, the mill was PL's Mill "B" in Scotia. I was born across the street from it in the mid 1950s. My Father was a sawfiler working over the headrig, my Grandfather was the Production Superintendent and a few other family members were scattered around the company. I worked the woods, but because of family pressure I got stuck on landings doing an old man's job. I got around that by getting hired on as a faller's second saw, a job that I lucked into and was set-up by my other Grandfather.

Us kids, dog and cat, Scotia 1959.

kids.jpg

I grew up thinking that air was always filled with smoke and ash, that time was measured with steam whistles, that nearly overwhelming machinery noise was normal. My brother and I went all over the mill, following Grampa or playing in the Filing-room, with our little matching orange hardhats. yep, we were mill brats.

It is said that 96% of the Old Growth Redwoods have been harvested. I believe that number is wrong, not that it matters much now.
That old film was made in Humboldt County, probably Pacific Lumber lands, some did seem familiar to me, the mill was PL's Mill "B" in Scotia. I was born across the street from it in the mid 1950s. My Father was a sawfiler working over the headrig, my Grandfather was the Production Superintendent and a few other family members were scattered around the company. I worked the woods, but because of family pressure I got stuck on landings doing an old man's job. I got around that by getting hired on as a faller's second saw, a job that I lucked into and was set-up by my other Grandfather.

Us kids, dog and cat, Scotia 1959.

kids.jpg

I grew up thinking that air was always filled with smoke and ash, that time was measured with steam whistles, that nearly overwhelming machinery noise was normal. My brother and I went all over the mill, following Grampa or playing in the Filing-room, with our little matching orange hardhats. yep, we were mill brats.

You got that book written, yet?

That's definitely when "men were men."
Not having grown around any of that, I always look at the large logging operations in awe.

I wonder what the OSHA folks think when they see a film clip of the old logging operations?

I am not a lazy man, but I am sure glad that we are still not working like that. God Bless them guy's.

Back