cops on the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Krause

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
today we were side trimming a large elm for the neighbor's view of the lake. my partner sold the job and asked the customer how her relation's were with her neighbor, so we could use his drivway for access. she said it was ok, and since we had worked out of his driveway a few months ago we figured it was ok. well i guess he was pretty upset about us being there when he drove up. after the chipper was shut down i could hear some swearing and yelling. so he called the cops. he told us to get off the property. we asked twice if we could finish cleaning our mess, but he refussed. so i guess we're going to get a nice letter from his lawyer and a bill for the rest of the clean up. the cop thought he was being an ass and said he didn't have any no trespassing signs so there wasn't much he could do. but i bet we'll have to get a lawyer. anyone have any run-ins with the law?

today we were side trimming a large elm for the neighbor's view of the lake. my partner sold the job and asked the customer how her relation's were with her neighbor, so we could use his drivway for access. she said it was ok, and since we had worked out of his driveway a few months ago we figured it was ok. well i guess he was pretty upset about us being there when he drove up. after the chipper was shut down i could hear some swearing and yelling. so he called the cops. he told us to get off the property. we asked twice if we could finish cleaning our mess, but he refussed. so i guess we're going to get a nice letter from his lawyer and a bill for the rest of the clean up. the cop thought he was being an ass and said he didn't have any no trespassing signs so there wasn't much he could do. but i bet we'll have to get a lawyer. anyone have any run-ins with the law?
Well that stinks but he
allowed access earlier and that should be in your favor and I would have
to agree with the officer unless you had damaged his property or his wife
seen one of you wizzing in the yard! He probably had a bad hair day and
people can be so stupid and thoughtless but you probably should have contacted the neighbor yourself and learn from it I hope it works out ok!

you should get the OK to access someones prop. from them in writing !! i just hope for your sake that the person cools off before he charges you for the cost of removing every single mark and speck of saw dust from his prop.

Well that stinks but he
allowed access earlier and that should be in your favor and I would have
to agree with the officer unless you had damaged his property or his wife
seen one of you wizzing in the yard! He probably had a bad hair day and
people can be so stupid and thoughtless but you probably should have contacted the neighbor yourself and learn from it I hope it works out ok!

we will double check next time we come into that situation. i wonder how much someone is going to charge to rake and blow off the driveway?

He prolly just had a bad day at work, give him some time to cool down, everything will most likely be OK, no lawyers required.

One of the line items on my bid sheets states that the authorizing agent assumes responsibility for local permitting, accuracy of boundary lines, and abutter permission or notification. Although often as not I don’t get a signature anyway, go figure.

He prolly just had a bad day at work, give him some time to cool down, everything will most likely be OK, no lawyers required.

One of the line items on my bid sheets states that the authorizing agent assumes responsibility for local permitting, accuracy of boundary lines, and abutter permission or notification. Although often as not I don’t get a signature anyway, go figure.

sounds like a good idea. next time i order some proposal forms i'll see about getting some disclaimers put in there, although i rarely have them signed anyway.

Back