Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not an expert on the batteries or electronics. I have to go somewhat by brand reputation, by use and feel, and by the experiences reported by others on sites like this.

It would be nice if places like Batteries+ (just as an example) would rebuild Li-Ion cells, because the batteries are one of the most expensive components of these saws, and some of these companies will not be around in 4 or 5 years when we start needing replacements! I know that lithium cells can be more tricky to deal with, due to their nasty tendency to catch fire when damaged, exposed to air, little things like that.

Philbert

I hope nobody "rebuilds" Li-ion cells in battery packs. The only thing to do is to replace the cells, and there are shops doing that now. I have an email in to one of them trying to find out which cells Ryobi is using, and how well they perform. There are a lot of lousy 18650's out there, but I'm hoping Ryobi is using decent cells.

Just saw ads for DeWalt 40 volt string trimmers, hedge trimmers, and leaf blowers. Due out in 2015.

Philbert

Ha! Remember a few years back, and 99% of the guys here said no one would ever buy those electric toys..and you and I and a few others said, just watch, these new batteries and motors are game changers? These companies all knew that, and now all of them are coming out with some serious battery powered tools.

We are *this* close to a battery saw that will run a 20 inch bar with some authority, you can smell it coming now.

If the DeWalt 40 volt OPE uses the same battery packs as their construction tools, that will be really attractive for some users, and a strong competitive advantage with contractors. Homeowners may be less concerned if their drill uses a different battery pack than their weed whip, because they are probably different voltages as well.

(Now I just need a 40 volt chainsaw grinder to tie a few of these threads together . . . )

Philbert

I've been using cordless tools most of my life; lived off the grid for a long time in AK. The first thing I used was a Makita screwgun (9V?). The first cordless tool I had that could usably run a circ saw was the 18 volt L-ion Makita, and that hasn't been availabe for all that long. There will always be a range of voltages, IMO, because it makes no sense to use a 40V battery in a screwgun. The L-ion batteries have a lot more energy density (per mass) than their antecedents, but the higher capacity 40 volt battery packs are getting up into the 3-4 lb range now, too big and heavy for a lot of tools. A small or medium capacity 18V, like my Makita, still works well in a screwgun, and still has enough oomph for light circ saw usage. What I want, and it seems like the current tools are just about there, is a 10 or 11 lb chainsaw (with battery and 12-14 inch bar and chain) that will give reasonable cutting time and speed for limbing and very light bucking. If we're not there yet we're pretty close. This tech has really taken off lately, it's great!

What I want, and it seems like the current tools are just about there, is a 10 or 11 lb chainsaw (with battery and 12-14 inch bar and chain) that will give reasonable cutting time and speed for limbing and very light bucking.

I think that several of the current 36 - 40 volt tools are within a pound or so of that spec.

Philbert

I think that several of the current 36 - 40 volt tools meet that spec.

Philbert

I know if I use all three batts on my oregon, I can easily fill up the tractor tote box. One battery will give me at least a couple wheelbarrows full. And the new model coming with way more power/effiency and the near double size batts..well, you can extrapolate from that.

I know if I use all three batts on my oregon, I can easily fill up the tractor tote box. One battery will give me at least a couple wheelbarrows full. And the new model coming with way more power/effiency and the near double size batts..well, you can extrapolate from that.

I'm real interested to see the forthcoming brushless Oregon saw. Does the auto-sharpening tool on the Oregon actually do an acceptable job?

Th
Very nice carvings!

Philbert
Thanks dude:)
.....as far as the weight of these batteries goes, I use the stihl battery belt so that extra 3 or 4 lbs is on my hip. Especially when I know I'm using the saws for an hour or 2 straight. It's so nice carving with a 6 lb saw!! I think these batteries are gonna have to be on a belt/backpack once larger battery saws are developed.....or the saw are going to be in the 20lb range probably?

It's listed as the same weight with the 2.4 Ah battery, so these aren't real measurements.
I don't fully understand battery technology. When they told me that the 4.0 amp hour battery weighed the same as the 2.4 amp hour battery, it did not make sense to me either. But I weighed them on a postal scale and they are within a half an ounce of each other (2 lbs, 11 oz).

If I could wait, I would want to hold out for the brushless model, due to their claim of 40% more power.

.....as far as the weight of these batteries goes, I use the stihl battery belt so that extra 3 or 4 lbs is on my hip.
That certainly makes sense for your carving work, where you need dexterity and a light touch. For traditional cutting and limbing, the weight of a saw can be an asset, up to a point, if the saw is well balanced.

STIHL makes a backback for extended use (36V, 24.75 Ah/891 Wh, 15.7 lbs).
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/battery-accessories/batteries/ar900/

Husqvarna Battery Backpack (36V, 14.4 Ah/520 WH, 15.6 lbs)
http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/landsca...with-the-new-professional-backpack-batteries/
http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/landsca.../battery-series-accessories/bli520x/#features

Personally, I would prefer to stop and swap out a smaller, lighter battery now and then, and maybe to let the other one(s) recharge. But I am sure that there are applications where this backpack makes sense (especially if adapted to a 36 volt skateboard!).

Philbert

Thanks dude:)
.....as far as the weight of these batteries goes, I use the stihl battery belt so that extra 3 or 4 lbs is on my hip. Especially when I know I'm using the saws for an hour or 2 straight. It's so nice carving with a 6 lb saw!! I think these batteries are gonna have to be on a belt/backpack once larger battery saws are developed.....or the saw are going to be in the 20lb range probably?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the cord from the battery pack to the saw get in the way?

I don't fully understand battery technology. When they told me that the 4.0 amp hour battery weighed the same as the 2.4 amp hour battery, it did not make sense to me either. But I weighed them on a postal scale and they are within a half an ounce of each other (2 lbs, 11 oz).

Weird. It might be that the 2.4 Ah battery is using cheaper 18650's (2400 mAh) and the 4 Ah pack is using the very best (3600 mAh to the best of my knowledge) 18650 cells. I don't even know for sure if they are using 18650's, can anyone confirm?

Interesting. I see the current model is listed at $449 with the big battery and charger. It's listed as 12 lb with the big battery, though, more than I want. Heh. It's listed as the same weight with the 2.4 Ah battery, so these aren't real measurements.

The powersharp works really well. As soon as they have it out for .325 and full 3/8ths, I am going for it on my other saws. I'll pay the money. And I am cheap/frugal, heck I be po! Cuts great actually. It is one reason they can get a premium price for it, their whole idea for the marketing spiel is "no hassles".

Everything about it is designed to be grab, go cut. No intermediate BS, no mix to go bad, no yank starting, no dull chain, no airfilter to get plugged up, no scored cylinders, no engine flooded, no plugged vent, no yankyankyankyankyancussyankyank, etc., no nuthin, just a tool that can sit and go immediately into action. The battery placement makes for a very nice balance, and the overall weight isn't bad, the feel in your hands is like running a small gasser with better balance. The thermal overload protects the saw and battery from user abuse, you simply can't push it to a harmful level, it shuts down if you try. It does use bar oil, my experience using tractor supply grade oil is at least three full batteries per tank, very miserly, but good enough to keep the chain wet.

The powersharp works really well. As soon as they have it out for .325 and full 3/8ths, I am going for it on my other saws. I'll pay the money. And I am cheap/frugal, heck I be po! Cuts great actually. It is one reason they can get a premium price for it, their whole idea for the marketing spiel is "no hassles".

Everything about it is designed to be grab, go cut. No intermediate BS, no mix to go bad, no yank starting, no dull chain, no airfilter to get plugged up, no scored cylinders, no engine flooded, no plugged vent, no yankyankyankyankyancussyankyank, etc., no nuthin, just a tool that can sit and go immediately into action. The battery placement makes for a very nice balance, and the overall weight isn't bad, the feel in your hands is like running a small gasser with better balance. The thermal overload protects the saw and battery from user abuse, you simply can't push it to a harmful level, it shuts down if you try. It does use bar oil, my experience using tractor supply grade oil is at least three full batteries per tank, very miserly, but good enough to keep the chain wet.

That sounds pretty great! Thanks.

Back