Redback 18", 120V Lithium, Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I carry an MS 211 w a 16" in my DaKine Builder's pack and have already tested my new 550 XP which also fits fine and is only a little heavier. 18" bar does extend closer to my helmet.

you want this, the top handle saw we are working on. Weight will be about 5 lbs.
(can I 'like' that more than once?)

I'm looking for a quiet trail clearing option, to carry on a dirt bike or in a backpack.
But 16.3 lbs!!??
I'd like to see a direct comparison to the Husq rear handle. The largest battery Stihl prob not an option w max rec bar length of 14".
There will always be trade-offs. Longer bars need larger power heads. Larger power heads need larger batteries. Etc.

As far as size, you can always use a smaller A041 mount bar on this saw. With the tool-less chain tensioning, it is also fairly easy to carry the bar and chain separately from the power head to fit more easily in a backpack, and to mount it as needed.

Redback, as well as several other companies, also offer 40V (58V, 80V) saws that are lighter in weight, and have less cutting power, but may meet your needs. You also need to add in the weight of spare batteries if you choose a smaller saw with shorter run times, or the hassle of carrying liquid fuel if choosing a gas saw.

Lots of choices. A battery saw can be a good option for trail maintenance, due to low noise, convenience, no fuel leaks, etc.

Philbert

8* this morning, I set the saw outside a little bit ago. Going to try and use it in 2hrs and see if it works.

8* this morning, I set the saw outside a little bit ago. Going to try and use it in 2hrs and see if it works.
Why don't you keep the saw and battery inside, then take it out into the cold weather to see how it works?

Cold weather will always decrease battery performance, and the lack of heat from combustion will make oil flow difficult. But if you keep the saw warm, in your building or truck, then take it out into cold weather, your performance will be different. I keep my batteries warm (beverage cooler used in reverse), and thin the oil for colder weather use. Even gas saws may need adjustments (carb and cold weather shutters) for efficient cold weather use.

Philbert

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Not sure what you are asking. The saw is in the shop, and I was going to set it out for a while to see how it would work (if it will at all) I ended up forgetting to set it out, I'll do it tomorrow if I remember.

My saws stay outside all day, no trouble, so this is a "test" to see if the battery saw can work just as well as a gas saw in reasonable conditions. It got up to about 15* today, so nothing extreme. Supposed to be around the same temp tomorrow.

The same battery system is being used on ice augers I'm told. Dunno about anyone else, but I go ice fishing in the winter.

Yea I am guessing you don't want an 18" chainsaw in your back pack.... you want this, the top handle saw we are working on. Weight will be about 5 lbs.

DHT,

I just figured out you're also in CO and took a look at your web site but didn't see any chainsaws. Will this be the first and can say any more about what to expect and when it's available?

Thx,

Jon

Yet more apologies, reading the above linked thread I see that the 16.3 lb weight includes bar and chain and battery pack, which would seem to be pretty competitive w say my 550 including the same plus gas.

Not sure what you are asking. The saw is in the shop, and I was going to set it out for a while to see how it would work (if it will at all) I ended up forgetting to set it out, I'll do it tomorrow if I remember.

My saws stay outside all day, no trouble, so this is a "test" to see if the battery saw can work just as well as a gas saw in reasonable conditions. It got up to about 15* today, so nothing extreme. Supposed to be around the same temp tomorrow.

The same battery system is being used on ice augers I'm told. Dunno about anyone else, but I go ice fishing in the winter.

Did you ever get it to work in the cold? Or is it a no go?

Did you ever get it to work in the cold? Or is it a no go?

The saw itself works in the cold, but the battery loses power as it gets cold. I'm not a battery expert, but this seems to be a problem with lithium batteries in general.

My phone is really frail with cold. Yesterday it wouldn't even take a charge while I delivered wood, saying it was too cold. Wasn't THAT cold in the truck!

Great review, you covered a lot of different situations with the saw. But in the end I will keep my Echo with it's lighter weight and larger capacity battery.

@Philbert How does the Redback compare to the Oregon CS300 with regards to run time and power?
The 120V saw has more power than the 40V saw.

Run time is trickier as each saw has a range of batteries: Oregon up to 6.0 Ah (at 40V), and Redback up to 3.0Ah (at 120V). The larger capacity batteries still weigh pretty much the same (increases are apparently due to improved cell technology), but cost more, so you almost have to do a $/Ah comparison.

Philbert

Run time is trickier as each saw has a range of batteries: Oregon up to 6.0 Ah (at 40V), and Redback up to 3.0Ah (at 120V).

Does the Oregon with the 6Ah run 2x or longer when compared to the Redback with the 3Ah?

I have not compared the saws like that. Again, different voltages. W= AxV. So the 6Ah, 40V battery would be close in capacity to the 2Ah, 120V battery. But you also have to consider motor efficiency, etc.

Philbert

Assuming brushless motor efficiencies are the same and chain/bar length are equal so that the chain drag is the same.....run time will be directly proportional to the amount of Watt hrs of energy in the battery. So 6 amp hr * 40v = 240 watt hrs. And 3 amp hr * 120v = 360 watt hrs. So the redback should last about 50% longer than the oregon saw.

Back