36 Volt and 40 Volt Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they look snazzy. You gonna do it, for a review? You gonna haul your buttinski into a baby tree? Pics/vids!

Was BSing with the local husky wrench today, showed him on youtoober where the husky top handle batt saw vids where, we watched one. Told him the marketing angle is to tree service guys so they could start at 7 am in low noise residential areas, switch to the gassers at 9.

They are stocking the oregon batt saw now, and he said he is gonna buy it! Gonna shoot it to his granny GF for a saw on her little homestead, something she can grab and cut with, the odd branch in the yard, etc.

Told the Home Depot guy that if I rented that saw for $11 an hour, I would want a second battery, even if I had to pay a little more. I don't want to pay for charging time.

They only had one battery.

Philbert

Told the Home Depot guy that if I rented that saw for $11 an hour, I would want a second battery, even if I had to pay a little more. I don't want to pay for charging time.

They only had one battery.

Philbert

Which size batt was it?

This is their 36 volt battery. They also sell an adaptor that lets you use 2 of their 18 volt batteries if you are already invested in that line of tools.

I believe that it uses 3/8, low pro, narrow kerf, .043 gauge chain (Oregon Type 90).

Philbert

Just checked, 2.2 AMH.

I just lately got the Husqvarna top handle one, t536li or something close to that. No sooner than I get it home, did get a black friday discount I see they lowered the price from $470 to $400 on the website and guess what they figured mine at.

I put two pictures, the second one is how much firewood I could harvest from a logging left over place going from fully charged 4 lights steady to one light blinking which is discharged by the manual but still cuts. I can't say I notice it loosing power along the way.

They act like it is pro level. I put it with the clutch or sprocket cover removed next to a 338. Note they use the preferred method of one bar nut with the threads between two pins, well they cheated and the front pin is a plastic lump. The forces to clamp the bar go through the plastic clutch cover, the metal insert is up a bit so it won't make a mark on the bar like some brand x however the thickness of the plastic the threaded stud goes through is less than the thickness of the magnesium of the 338.

These things may be more safe than a gasoline chainsaw as I think it throws a circuit breaker in a kickback situation. I have at this point only used up three battery charges. The chain brake works wonderful and also turns off power to the motor. It needs the start button held for a second and it shuts off it seems in about a minute if unused so it may not really be any quicker into action than the 338 in real use. It is variable speed, kind a bit of strange hesitation as the trigger starts getting pulled, not sure if they all are going to be that way. The low speed perhaps is just how far along the variable speed it goes. Works pretty good on economy mode/low chain speed or whatever you want to call it when you push the second button which is instant and the second little light comes on.

It does have a parts sheet though the armature and what turns the oil pump and perhaps more is left out. The oil pick up is fixed not on a tube that is influenced by gravity. One oil filling according to the manual is good for three charges according to the manual. I have a 1/4 8 tooth sprocket on order. I have a good supply of 0.050 gauge 1/4 chain but it is likely one could adapt the 0.043 Stihl stuff, bar and chain that some on here like on the ms150. The bar mount is a095 small husky. The stock bar is made in USA at least the wrapper for the one I got says that.

My idea is to not scare the dog off when I am cutting pricker bushes, piling them on a tractor attachment and hauling them away. The dog has at times left when a gasoline chainsaw is started. I read the manual and it says not to use it to cut bushes. 338 and 536tli side by side clutch covers off.JPG What.one.charge.will.do.JPG

Thanks for the detailed report. I look for additional comments as you have a chance to use it more!

I think that the slight hesitation has to do with the brushless motor - have noticed this with some other tools.

How many Amp-hours was the battery you used in that second photo?

Philbert

It is the larger battery 4.2 amp hours which correlates with the c330 charger. 330 watts input. Of note is both the saw and the charger blow air through the battery. The charger sounds like an inverter I have to get 120 volt ac out of a 12 volt vehicle battery. The run time is wildly optimistic in what I read on the internet, and told in person at the Paul Bunyan show, but the recharge time is not. They claim 35 minutes, I have never timed it all the way. It comes with a blue plastic piece I think is to block off some of the cooling air in winter conditions if it is in the manual I missed it. I suspect adverse/dusty conditions would be more suited to blowing cooling air across aluminum fins of an internal combustion engine than through the electric components this would apply to rechargeable dirt bikes and other things as well.

Something else of note is they say the bottom use temperature is -5 Celsius but the charger and battery should be stored no lower than plus 5 Celsius. It sure isn't impossible my battery has been frozen judging from the layout of the place I got it and that box looked older than the saw and charger box.

Oregon offers a Standard and a Rapid charger for their batteries. I have only seen/used the Standard. But I understand that heating the batteries is the main concern, so the fan makes sense. Assume that they also use some type of thermo-sensing circuit as well.

Philbert

Right It won't even start charging if the battery temperature is above 50 Celsius in that case it blows air for a while first. I really think it would take hard work and summer conditions as by the time I got back to the charger I could not even be sure the battery was warm.

I am well past 20 charge cycles by now and will add an update.
Revisions to above post. It seems the air blocking piece I mentioned was for the 540t not supposed to be in my box. The turn off due to idle time now seems perfect maybe 5 minutes. There is more stuff on the ipl than I thought but still can not find some things.

I did some timed cutting in a pine cant 8x18 inches and oak log 10 inch diameter. It is not that easy to get repeatable results probably due to the narrow kerf side drag and how straight the cut actually went. Surprisingly the slowest turned out to be the 0.043 3/8 lo pro. The fastest 13RM and a used (compared to all others I tested) ps3. I converted my results to square feet per minute. 1.5 square feet per minute in the 10 inch oak log and 2.0 square feet per minute in the pine "cant" are the numbers I choose to put out. It really works best leveraging off the bucking spikes which are quite inferior to the ones on the 338.

Compared to the gasoline saws (stock) running the exact same bar and chain or chain type and sharpness in the case of the Dolmar. Make the electric 100 and the gasoline gets the following
Dolmar 351 9 tooth drive 13RM (1=quarter inch pitch, 3=0.050 drive link) 147
Husqvarna 338xpt but 7 tooth drive. 116 on the ps3 and 155 for the origional equipment 0.043 which I think is essentially a px Oregon.

In my actual use for a purpose I found the Oregon 25ap nice, the 13RM and the full size 3/8LP a bit bumpy.
The original chain is good but the nose characteristics are lacking. The Stihl pmm3 still has all of it's good characteristics on the Husqvarna shaped bar.

The bad features are pretty much in that picture of the sprockets. The sprocket cover gets jammed super easy, probably not an issue for strictly cross cutting. The area inside the chain loop near the sprocket is always full of stuff even if the cover does not clog. That plate between the bar and saw body is loose unlike the 338 and the Dolmar 351 and it is hard to know if you allowed some crud to get behind it. I really have my doubts that those two flats on the drive shaft are really going to stand up in the long haul.

Realistically for what I do 2 or 3 batteries and 2 chargers probably are in order so think $1000 for realistic use.

I put it on slow chain speed and was able to run it down in 850 seconds/13 minutes and estimate it was throwing chips half the time. That was with the 13RM chain. This (1/4 chain and low speed) is the most pleasing sounding. After a while the sounds are not annoying but to start off the original equipment might not be enjoyed.

Attachments

• close.up.of.sprockets..JPG
    close.up.of.sprockets..JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
  • pine cant b.JPG
    pine cant b.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 18
I am well past 20 charge cycles by now and will add an update.
Revisions to above post. It seems the air blocking piece I mentioned was for the 540t not supposed to be in my box. The turn off due to idle time now seems perfect maybe 5 minutes. There is more stuff on the ipl than I thought but still can not find some things.

I did some timed cutting in a pine cant 8x18 inches and oak log 10 inch diameter. It is not that easy to get repeatable results probably due to the narrow kerf side drag and how straight the cut actually went. Surprisingly the slowest turned out to be the 0.043 3/8 lo pro. The fastest 13RM and a used (compared to all others I tested) ps3. I converted my results to square feet per minute. 1.5 square feet per minute in the 10 inch oak log and 2.0 square feet per minute in the pine "cant" are the numbers I choose to put out. It really works best leveraging off the bucking spikes which are quite inferior to the ones on the 338.

Compared to the gasoline saws (stock) running the exact same bar and chain or chain type and sharpness in the case of the Dolmar. Make the electric 100 and the gasoline gets the following
Dolmar 351 9 tooth drive 13RM (1=quarter inch pitch, 3=0.050 drive link) 147
Husqvarna 338xpt but 7 tooth drive. 116 on the ps3 and 155 for the origional equipment 0.043 which I think is essentially a px Oregon.

In my actual use for a purpose I found the Oregon 25ap nice, the 13RM and the full size 3/8LP a bit bumpy.
The original chain is good but the nose characteristics are lacking. The Stihl pmm3 still has all of it's good characteristics on the Husqvarna shaped bar.

The bad features are pretty much in that picture of the sprockets. The sprocket cover gets jammed super easy, probably not an issue for strictly cross cutting. The area inside the chain loop near the sprocket is always full of stuff even if the cover does not clog. That plate between the bar and saw body is loose unlike the 338 and the Dolmar 351 and it is hard to know if you allowed some crud to get behind it. I really have my doubts that those two flats on the drive shaft are really going to stand up in the long haul.

Realistically for what I do 2 or 3 batteries and 2 chargers probably are in order so think $1000 for realistic use.

I put it on slow chain speed and was able to run it down in 850 seconds/13 minutes and estimate it was throwing chips half the time. That was with the 13RM chain. This (1/4 chain and low speed) is the most pleasing sounding. After a while the sounds are not annoying but to start off the original equipment might not be enjoyed.
GREAT review.
Reads like Husky is trying to sell cheaply built units at pro prices.

I was looking for an electric to be carried up in the tree.

I'll keep looking.

Back