Stihl MS 180 vs Husqvarna 135 mk ii (and similar saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjdean01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I hate to just join the site and ask a question without providing much value but maybe this thread will help others in the future. Short story: I got a Poulan 14" from Home Depot for $75 a few years back after someone had returned it. It leaks oil down my leg, I dropped it from a tree once and kind of messed up the bar tensioner (which I actually was able to fix with a new screw), it's hard to start, it won't idle right, no anti-vibe, and I need to keep my finger on the trigger or it will stall. I used regular 10% ethanol gas at first (yes, I'm an idiot) so I know it needs a new carb or needs it cleaned, but at this point I figured: new saw. I bought the Ryobi 16" from Home Depot for $140. I used it for a day and was very happy! I paid $18 extra for a 5 year warranty and it came with a cool case. I returned it, however, because it leaked gas all over my truck seat after just one day's use. I've considering getting another one because it's basically perfect because of the warranty, but if I'm going to spend the money why not get something that will last me decades? I don't know if the Ryobi will; and so I started looking at the "big boy" brands. Note that I have rental properties and only use the saw when one gets vacant and I need to cut down some tree. Not a heavy user at all, but when I spend money I want it to go towards something that will last. Echo seems good too but I hear less about them and they seem to cost 50% more. I'm not interested in battery/electric. I'm a man! :)

The Stihl MS 180 is $200 (I don't want the quick start or quick tensioner version, just more stuff to break). The Husqvarna 135 mk ii is $250 (but similar Husqvarna models can be under $200). In a similar size and price range Stihl also has the 171. Husqvarna has the 120 mk ii, 130 135, and 240 which are all confusingly similar. Main thing is to have it start when I want to use it and be reliable. After that of course lighter weight is better, more power is better, I like the pokey thing by the bar, etc. I've seen a thread here where the Husqvarna 135 seems to be the better choice than the Stihl 181, but the 181 is too expensive for what I need anyway so not on my list. I like the appx $200 price point (but, of course, logically, I'd be willing to spend more for a feature I really liked). Husqvarna better warranty but I'm looking to have the saw last 10-20 years, not 3 or 5 anyway.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/

Thank you!

I can’t say about the Husky. Being a Stihl guy, it’s most likely junk, just like the rest of their stuff. LOL
But the MS180 has good power for its size. It is an occasional use saw. Mounts are very soft, for comfort.
Its definity not for any type of production. Used as it was designed, which is for light trimming and small
fireword, you’ll be fine. Absolutely critical with any small displacement saw is a razor sharp chain.
Or move up the a MS 251 (or better yet a MS250 if you can find one left) and don’t look back.

Keep your options and mind open. There are ok saws, good saws and great saws. The difference between a ok saw and a great saw is normally a matter of opinion. Any consumer saw can be hit or miss. I have owned and used small Stihls, Husqvarnas, Echos and Makitas. The only small saw I would by again would be the Makita EA3500. That's my experience and opinion.

How does “I’m a man” fit in the same frame of mind as “it leaked oil down my leg,” “it leaked gas on the seat of my truck,” and “I had to keep my finger on the trigger?” All those things are badges of chainsaw honor.

Well, I like a saw to idle reliably, but I’m kind of a cupcake that way. All those other things? Pppsshewwwww. Those are man things.

I have had good (and manly) luck with a couple of consumer Poulans over the last 20 years, but the new Stihl MS170 I recently inherited is light, starts easily, does not leak and seems like a worthy tool for occasional yard tree jobs, cutting a little firewood and rough carpentry around the farm, like notching fenceposts and cutting 6 x 6 timbers. A MS180 should be similar, only a little more so.

Since reliability is a factor for you, maybe you should choose based on local availability and dealer quality. Where I live (east central MO), you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting at least two or three Stihl dealers, which for me offsets the price of Stihl equipment...at least parts and supplies are easy to get. There’s a good Husqvarna dealer pretty nearby too, but Stihl has the best coverage around here without resorting to big box stores or small engine parts supply houses (Poulan, take a bow).

There are a lot of places to buy Echo around here too, but they are big box stores and farm supply stores.

I cut up an oak tree that was the effective bar length of my MS180 in diameter. The chain was sharp, but the least bit of forcing the cut and the clutch would slip. You just need to let the saw work at its own pace. My MS461 would have made short work of the task, just I wanted to see how the little saw cut. Better than I would have expected, but as stated its best application is as a limbing saw. It's light, nimble, and doesn't burn much fuel making it a perfect truck/camp saw.

Welcome! Firstly a word of warning having just joined - If you think Covid19 is contagious, you should be very aware of the “CAD” Virus. (Chainsaw acquisition disorder) spreads like wildfire and there is no cure. It affects everyone. I started with an ms 180 and was very happy. 1 year later I owned 8 saws (now just 4) and did total rebuilds on 6.

There are guys on here with 20-30 of the same model of saw and some guys have hundreds of saws in their sheds.

When I went to the store to buy my 180, I told the shop I want a saw that will cut and I don’t want to be messing around with the thing.

Anyway, that said, the 180 is a wonderful saw that punches well above its weight. I cut up to 14” green cherry no problem. It’s also happy cutting up to around 8 inch dry harder woods too. It screams, chomping through smaller wood like an angry little beaver.

Good replies, guys. Thank you. I'm trying to narrow it down. The Stihl MS 180 is still on the list, but it seems the consensus is that it's good for its size but maybe a bit underpowered for some jobs. What do you guys think about the Husqvarna 120 mk ii? The fact that Lowe's sells it is good for catching a sale or buying chains/bars. Under $200 and on-paper more power than the Still MS 180. But Amazon reviews show that the Husky 120 mk ii has problems starting and need adjustment out of the box. I don't want that.

Also, I read that lower-cost Husqvarna saws are just rebadged Poulans. Is this true? If so no thanks!

Would a sub-$300 saw be built better and be more likely to last me several years? Examples from Lowes: Husky 435 or 440. And, at this sub-$300 price range now, I should be comparing those to the Still MS 251 or MS 211, which I've also seen guys say is under powered.

REPLIES:
@stihl86 - the MS 251 "Wood Boss" can be had for $329. 45 cc and only 11 lbs. Is the MS 250 somehow better? It's older $30 more, and has 2 bar nuts instead of one. Is only 1 bolt holding the bar on adequate?
@mexicanyella - ya got me there! You're right, availability, parts, etc are all pretty important. Stihl seems more popular around here. I think if both companies made the same saw I'd go with Stihl.

Thanks again!

Echo makes a great saw, i find them to have a better feel in the smaller range of saws...plus all echo products are backed by a 5yr warranty and are rated Class C epa (300+hours) which stihl and husky cannot do..or arent willing to do.

The Cs370 comes in under 300 and is very solid

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

How does “I’m a man” fit in the same frame of mind as “it leaked oil down my leg,” “it leaked gas on the seat of my truck,” and “I had to keep my finger on the trigger?” All those things are badges of chainsaw honor.

Well, I like a saw to idle reliably, but I’m kind of a cupcake that way. All those other things? Pppsshewwwww. Those are man things.

I have had good (and manly) luck with a couple of consumer Poulans over the last 20 years, but the new Stihl MS170 I recently inherited is light, starts easily, does not leak and seems like a worthy tool for occasional yard tree jobs, cutting a little firewood and rough carpentry around the farm, like notching fenceposts and cutting 6 x 6 timbers. A MS180 should be similar, only a little more so.

Since reliability is a factor for you, maybe you should choose based on local availability and dealer quality. Where I live (east central MO), you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting at least two or three Stihl dealers, which for me offsets the price of Stihl equipment...at least parts and supplies are easy to get. There’s a good Husqvarna dealer pretty nearby too, but Stihl has the best coverage around here without resorting to big box stores or small engine parts supply houses (Poulan, take a bow).

There are a lot of places to buy Echo around here too, but they are big box stores and farm supply stores.
Any Echo will be better build quality Than a MS180 or similar Husky. Full stop!

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

... but I'm looking to have the saw last 10-20 years.
Forget the warranty. Few successfully collect... on ANY brand.

Longevity is more a function of the correct care that the saw receives from the owner.

Try to shoot for the largest displacement (power) in a given footprint. For Stihl this would be the MS180 &MS250. These are a proven design that has been out there in various forms for several decades. Used parts are plentiful. The Stihl "1" series is a newer updated design that is stratocharged. I'll let others chime in with their experiences and reliability.

Keep this in mind, the lower grade "consumer" Huskys are indeed the same as Poulan saws.
I think I've read on here that the Poulan 4218 is the same as the Husky 435.
That being said, it's a 42 cc saw versus the 135 being a 38 cc saw. It's also only $155 at Tractor Supply versus the Husky 135's $250 price at Lowe's.
Now..
If I were in the market for a new saw in that size range, I would definitely look at the Echo 370.
And as many will tell you, regardless of brand, if possible but from a servicing dealer. Case in point, the Echo 590 is $399 at Home Depot and the same price at my dealer. I'd actually get 10% off at HD but I chose to buy from my dealer.
One, supporting my local business and two, I can run 10 miles up the road and have him check out anything that goes wrong with it.
And, the Echo has a 5 year consumer warranty, if that's any factor in your decision.

I had a Stihl 180 before it was stolen - it was a steal for some low life!

Light weight, handled nicely - the "go to" saw for small jobs. But the power was soft - would bog down easily. Maybe had it been fully run in ....

I have a MS170 as a small (round the house) saw and when we go out to chop wood I take it as a clearing and limbing saw, Last week the main saw we use A Husqvarna 450e stopped running So I had to use the 170.

I was really surprised how well it went in the bigger hard wood, The only point I could mark it down for it the air filtration, it's very average.....

Attachments

• 20200711_133107.jpg
    20200711_133107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200711_133101.jpg
    20200711_133101.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200711_134332.jpg
    20200711_134332.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
These are all great options...
However...
Consider You're asking for a things that a $200 saw a just cannot do. If you up to the 50 CC category your saw will perform a lot better however price goes up considerably.

If longevity is a concern consider a pro series saw ...

Like the ms 261 if you like Stihl.. but that's mid $500s.

I own a ms180 and it's a great saw. But I would not expect it to last 10 years.. but it fits the 30cc category perfect for me..

Well, this has been a fun learning experience. Since I'm not getting a professional grade saw, I won't get Husqvarna because it might be a rebadged Poulan and I don't want to deal with not knowing if it's the same as the crappy saws my dad and I had. As I see it now, after reading posts from others much more knowledgeable than me, Echo seems like the way to go over Stihl. A bit lower cost, easier to find pricing, a bit easier to start over time, a bit more reliable, and the basic parts are available at Home Depot. .
  • 30cc, 14-16" If you are only using your saw when a tree falls in the backyard or cleaning up smaller things a few times a year I would say the $200 Echo CS-310 (30cc) would do you very well. In this small size category, I can make a case for the Stihl MS180 (32cc, $200) because, for me anyway, I might like to upgrade to a larger size in the future and the Stihls, from what I've seen, really hold their value.
  • 35cc, 16-18" - This size category seems kind of useless: anything a 35cc and do the 30cc's can probably do for around 25% less cost and you can spend only a little more to get a 40cc saw. The Echo CS-352 (34cc) is $260 and the 35cc Stihl MS-211 is around $280 (but only one nut for the bar).
  • 40 up to 60cc, 18-20" - This is where Echo/Home Depot start to charge $50 per 10cc: Echo CS-400 (40cc) is $300, Echo CS-490 (50cc) is $350 (and only 8 oz heavier than the CS-400), and the Echo CS-590 (60cc) is only $400 (but adds 3.4 lbs to the CS-400). If you want 45cc, the Stihl MS-250 is $360. There are other Stihls in this category but I don't want to hunt for the pricing since I think Echo has me covered.
I might not fire up any chainsaw for another month or 2, but based on the above, the 32cc $200 Stihl MS-180 is still on the list. But, I know most of would recommend a bigger saw, which for me would be an Echo, and the $350 Echo CS-490 is 50cc, only 8 oz heavier than the 40cc version and nearly 3 lbs lighter than the 60cc version. I know you guys are going to say this is a no-brainer. Plus, Home Depot could put it on sale and I could get it for $299!

Well, I pulled the trigger! I didn't get Husqvarna because it might be a Poulan rebadge; and I didn't get Echo because a) maybe (?) they are cheapening them up to sell at Home Depot, b) I can't understand why some randomly have a priming bulb, and c) there is no one locally who knows anything about them and not as much info online.

$299 on sale. $334 out-the-door including a 2-year warranty and a 6-pack of 2 cycle oil.
1600283738737.png

I found a very knowledgeable Stihl dealer the next town over (I don't like the guy near my house). He told me how the MS250 is probably better than the saws meant to replace it: MS251 CB-E (with the heavier easy start spring that could break and single plastic hand-tensioner) and MS251 WoodBoss (without the extra features) The MS250 has 2 strong bar nuts. It isn't regulated by emissions so has a piston unhampered by reburning exhaust gas. This piston is smaller, lighter, and theoretically runs cooler than the newer one because it isn't by default "lean." It's the cheapest saw in their line that uses the wider chain with the cutters placed closer together because 45cc is big enough to handle it. The saw feels light in the hand. I'll go to mom's this weekend to do some cuttin'!

Latest posts

Back