Cordless Impact Wrenches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody have or use a cordless impact wrench?

Tried one at work today and it seems like it may be just the ticket to put on the tractor or truck for equipment repairs when the nearest compressor is 2 plus miles away. The forklift we were working on didn't have any really rusty nasty bolts, but this thing spun M14 and M16 off and on far better than I expected.

Never really thought about one until today, would like to here anyone's experience and and manufacturer recommendations.

Thanks & Take Care

Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita all make them. I would only buy one with lithium batteries, and I would stay away from the Milwaukees, they have had battery issues for awhile, with both their older and newer batteries. Personally I would go with the DeWalt.

I have the Makita 18v lithium-ion and really like it...I also have two of the matching 18v drill drivers...best cordless drills I've ever used...small, light and powerfull....the impact will drive lag bolts like a monster...they have two sized batteries..blue is much bigger than the white...I have the white to keep it lightweight but you can go through battery charges pretty quick with the white...no big deal though, charges in 15 minutes! I ditched all my dewalt to switch over to these...and I had alot of dewalt around the shop...

have always used a cut-off 3/8 drive extension in a Dewalt 18v hammer drill or a Milwaukee 18v hammer drill.

works exactly like a cordless impact wrench.... never felt the need to buy a specific cordless impact wrench.

I used one two years ago in the field while harvesting sugarbeets and I couldn't believe how handy that buggar was!! It was a Snap On brand, so I don't know who manufactures for them. It belonged to a service man who came out to the field for a major repair on the harvester. I haven't talked the boss into one yet, but I'm workin on it. I have seen them advertised in different magazines and they seem quite expensive, what have you guys paid?

Kyle

We used my makita 18v litihium ion impact to build 120 OHRV foot bridge. At first the consencous was it wouldnt have the power and the head shovel holder trucked the compressor, generator, hoses and impact gun out to the site. It never got plugged in. Well, the generator did to charge the battery. We were driving 3/8 lags all day long. I think its on the clubs list to purchase with the next grant.

We have a Dewalt on our farm and we love the thing. When we are working in the fields and 60 miles from the home farm and away from air we just haul out the cordless impact and go to town with the repairs. It has plenty of power.

If it is not able to get the job done, it isnt a job that we should be working on in the middle of a corn field.

love my snap-on impact

i bought the snap-on 1/2" ct 4850 early this spring , it is big ,,,,,,,, but is rated at 400ft lb for working on equipment in the field it is great,,,,,if it will fit in the space,, snap-on also has a smaller 3/8 that i also like alot and it's really compact i have used both impact's and can recommend ether one
i have ingersall titanium impacts........i like stout tool's but i dont spent excess money if i cant use it,, i also have cheap tool's

i will say they are expensive i gave $500 for the 1/2" drive" would i say a home owner needed one no,,,,,,,, but a person who service's stuff in the field or pull's a trailer often long distance's,,,,, also great for setting up a camper

dewalt,makita and ingersall rand make good one's too

They work well...

A buddy of mine has the 3/8" 18V Dewalt. I was a doubter before I used it, but that thing is pretty impressive for a cordless tool!

I have the DeWalt 18v. I use it everyday in my detail shop. I have had it for three years+ and have worn out a bunch of Snap On impact wobblies and the ol wrench just keeps a hammering. After three+ years of daily use with the original batteries I can say nothing bad about the DeWalt, other than I can not imagine being without it.

I've used the dewalt and the rigid. The rigid is as well built as the others and they warranty them for LIFE, and that includes BATTERIES, Dad took his weak 2 year old one in, and they gave him a brand new one. He also had their 500 rpm 1/2" corded drill that we crank up/down the feed lines in our turkey houses with that the switch went out on after 3 years of hanging in all that dust, and they gave him a new one of them also. So with customer service like that home depot will have most of my tool business.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys.

The one we had at work was a Milkwakee, and as Wet1 said I was a doubter 'til I tried it.
OK just what I needed, another reason to get on the Snap-On truck.

Take Care

one more question.. what type of cordless tools do you have now? I would get the one that matched your other tools. that way you can swap the batteries around.

i'll admit i like it when brand "a" battery's fit several tool's and usually have good performance at a fair price but understand brand "b" "c"or "d" may make the tool you need, has more power,better form and funtion or just get's the job done better.... unfortunately most battery's dont crossbreed very well

good point.. but I cant say that I have found too much wrong with dewalt cordless tools.

I am actually getting away from cordless tools. I love my cordless drills and cordless Sawzall but I never liked cordless Skilsaws, I like my old corded sidewinder. Battery expense is a big deal, I hate throwing money away on batteries. I might look into the Rigid cordless tools in the future.

I have a dewalt 18v cordless impact wrench and driver. I rarely use the wrench but use the driver all the time. It is by far my fav, I reach for it all the time. The wrench is much more powerful than the driver though.

i'll admit i like it when brand "a" battery's fit several tool's and usually have good performance at a fair price but understand brand "b" "c"or "d" may make the tool you need, has more power,better form and funtion or just get's the job done better.... unfortunately most battery's dont crossbreed very well

I'm kind of in the same boat.

With so many different cordless tools with different batteries accumulated over the years, one more is going to be much of an issue.

If I had it all to do over again commonality of power sources certainly would be a consideration.

Take Care

I actually like the Black and Decker 18 volt system, because there are so many different tools that can use it, lights, dustbusters, drills, weird stuff you wouldn't think of, and the batteries are only about $30 a peice. I know, they're made in china crap, but seem to work fine for around the house. Something like an impact meant for heavy duty use it would be worth picking up a good, quality one.

Back