Cordwood saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg I am interested in learning the rpm to turn a circular blade vintage cordwood saw. I recently brought home a air cooled VW engine with a gear reduction gearbox with a clutch setup and I'm thinking of a permanent setup to buck all the small -6" stuff that is time consuming with a saw. I have a few saws available with blade diameters from 24" to 36". Do any of you use a setup driven by PTO or engine power?

That looks complicated and time consuming compared to a chain saw and a sawbuck. I can drop 4 or 5 small diameter branches like your 6 inch example into my sawbuck and cut them all at once using my chainsaw. It takes maybe 20 seconds to cut all of them, then reposition the wood and make my next cut. A big engine driven saw has its uses but bucking small limbs is not one of them IMO.

Axfarmer, I have 2 of them that are pto driven. I use them a few times a year. I can cut up to 12" diameter stuff with mine. Last year I got a bunch of free wood that was anywhere from 3 to 10' long, I cut it all up with the buzz saw. I run mine at about 1/2 throttle on my 35 hp tractor. I think that's around 750 rpm but I really forget. I mainly use them to cut limbwood up to 12' long and you can cut a pile of wood quickly. 1st and 2nd pic is deadfall from the bush. 3rd and 4th are the free hardwood pieces. I was wanting a buzz saw with it's own motor but ended up buying 2 that were pto powered. One less motor to maintain and I usuallu get a bunch of wood together then put on the buzz saw and cut it up. Lots of pictures in my threads if you search my user name.
arch46.jpg
arch52.jpg IMG_00000205.jpg IMG_00000456.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try the sawbuck for now and build the engine driven saw when I'm stuck inside the garage this coming winter.

That looks complicated and time consuming compared to a chain saw and a sawbuck. I can drop 4 or 5 small diameter branches like your 6 inch example into my sawbuck and cut them all at once using my chainsaw. It takes maybe 20 seconds to cut all of them, then reposition the wood and make my next cut. A big engine driven saw has its uses but bucking small limbs is not one of them IMO.

Why reposition them?

sawbuck1.jpg

Harry K

My electric saw with a 70cm blade is running at 1400rpm, i suppose my PTO saw also is ca 1400 rpm with the same blade.

Back