Corkscrew Willow: Should I be worried about invasive roots? (pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow Man

Reaction score
We have a corkscrew willow planted about 6 feet from the corner of our house, near the walkout basement. We love the tree as it provides shade in front of the kitchen window, and grows ridiculously fast (I mean, 3-6 feet a year... insane). We've only lived in the house for 4 years, and since then the trunk is probably 3x the diameter it was when we moved in. Probably a great location because of the sloped lot.

Although my wife and I love willow trees, I'm worried about the proximity to our foundation and the aggressive root system. I can already see one root breaking the surface about half way to the house, then diving down again. And there are others growing under the fence towards my neighbour's house.

I do not need a $25,000 foundation repair bill down the road. If I need to be concerned about this tree, I need to remove it now. If I leave it another year, it's going to be too big to cut down myself.

Should I be worried about the roots?

I would think that the roots would be a problem but I'd remove the tree because of the proximity to structures. Corkscrews, because of their entangling branches don't do well where there's heavy snow or ice loading. Down come the branches. Down come the gutters.
Phil

The only times I've seen problems with root systems is when there has been existing cracks for roots to grow into. Sometimes if the stump is to close that can put pressure on a weak foundation. Roots will not grow through a solid concrete wall. They will however wreck havoc on your patio stones.

Can you get us a photo of your whole back yard?

Got a septic system back there?

Overhead power lines back there?

Here are some pictures of the backyard, standing on my balcony/deck, going right to left. There is another corkscrew willow in the corner at the back of the property. We are in New Suburbia, so there's no septic or overhead power lines to contest with.

View attachment 245854
View attachment 245855
View attachment 245856

Since we have a walkout, I don't have a concrete wall as a barrier against the roots. What I have is a very short foundation at that corner, plus the gravel beneath the concrete floor. The basement is finished with a subfloor and nice wood-looking laminate. I'm concerned I have no armor against roots, and some day there's going to be a bulge in the floor at that corner of the house, as some rogue root has finally won the battle.

willows grow big, grow fast and are generally pretty weak
it is my opinion its too close to your house
if you take it down now itll be relatively inexpensive
if it were mine i would watch it closely, watch for the roots to create issue and watch for structural flaws and at the point i felt it was a higher liability then an asset i would remove it
but to be fair, i would remove it myself and i have a great deal of experience in the sort of inspection im talking about
its a very safe bet it will need to come down at some point or it will create major problems
the bigger it gets, the more difficult and therefore expensive the removal becomes

Living in Ontario you would have a 4-5ft frost wall at the walk out. Roots getting under the cellar floor slab & causing damage is unlikely.

You should be fine with that corkscrew, the largest one around here is about 35ft tall and they do have a short lifespan.

Here are some pictures of the backyard, standing on my balcony/deck, going right to left. There is another corkscrew willow in the corner at the back of the property. We are in New Suburbia, so there's no septic or overhead power lines to contest with.

View attachment 245854
View attachment 245855
View attachment 245856

Since we have a walkout, I don't have a concrete wall as a barrier against the roots. What I have is a very short foundation at that corner, plus the gravel beneath the concrete floor. The basement is finished with a subfloor and nice wood-looking laminate. I'm concerned I have no armor against roots, and some day there's going to be a bulge in the floor at that corner of the house, as some rogue root has finally won the battle.

that tree is planted way to close to the house, you could trim it to clear the houses and see how it goes or you could just remove it to save the hassle its really up to you
also if you do not have a foundation wall under the rear of your house you are going to have problems greater then any produced by a tree, but i am suspecting you have a 42" minimum foundation under the rear so no worries about the roots

Twisted willows dont grow much larger and while they do have aggressive roots they are more often soft easy to control by trenching & without much harm to the tree.

If you really wish to preserve this tree. Dig a trench beside your home look to see whats below,, if you have large aggressive roots sever them you may have only feeder sized anyhoo. Back fill with a firm plastic side down sheet over the trench length to as deep as practical or at least 3 foot. This should hold the concern for awhile,,, still every few years check to see how its performing.

If you choose to cut it down pass by your local florist they luv that willow wood for fill dressing of flower arrangements. You may need some flowers to cheer up the upset wife :msp_wink:

I have 7 much older corkscrew willow trees and while I don't have to worry about the roots being near structures, those trees are the bane of my existence. Every time we get a bit of a wind, the branches break off and litter my yard. I would be far more concerned with that tree clogging your gutter than the roots. As that tree ages, it will be very difficult to keep it from damaging your roof and gutter.

Latest posts

Back