Correct model of Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X for 3/8" pitch chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyCreek

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use all 3/8" pitch chain in .050 gauge on my saws. I have been using Woodland Pro chains for years, mostly semi chisel with some full chisel for my larger saws. I have used a Husqvarna sharpener for years, but this year I tried to get fancy and ordered a Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X. After I received the sharpener, I read the writing on the side of the unit, which is where my troubles began.

Every chain loop that I have recommends a 7/32 (5.5mm) file. The Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X says that the model with 7/32" files is for .404 chain and the model with 13/64" files is for 3/8" chain. Do I take the guidance from the back of the chain loop box (7/32") or from the file manufacturer (13/64)?

Does anyone here have experience with the Chain Sharp? I don't want to waste time sharpening or ruin my chains.

(Link to Pfer Chain Sharp CS-X on Pferd's web site)
https://www.pferdusa.com//products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

(Review of Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X)
http://www.forestapps.com/articles/...inforHomeTreeCareLoggingArboristsFirewood.htm

I have used a Husqvarna sharpener for years, but this year I tried to get fancy and ordered a Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X.

Every chain loop that I have recommends a 7/32 (5.5mm) file. The Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X says that the model with 7/32" files is for .404 chain and the model with 13/64" files is for 3/8" chain. Do I take the guidance from the back of the chain loop box (7/32") or from the file manufacturer (13/64)?

One of the many reasons I don't use any of those gadgets.

7/32 is the correct size file for 3/8" chain.
Some guys swear by 13/64" for some reason. They might get more hook, (but it'll dull quicker) and it also leaves 1/64" of material behind in the gullet area that must be dealt with at some point.

Sounds like the Husqvarna guide served you well for years. You've probably gotten fairly experienced at knowing what you need to accomplish.

Might be a good time to toss the gadgets aside, return the Pferd for a refund ..... then grab yourself a good 7/32 file and go at it free hand.

You might be surprised.

Some guys swear by 13/64" for some reason. They might get more hook, (but it'll dull quicker) and it also leaves 1/64" of material behind in the gullet area that must be dealt with at some point.

Sounds like the Husqvarna guide served you well for years. You've probably gotten fairly experienced at knowing what you need to accomplish.

Might be a good time to toss the gadgets aside, return the Pferd for a refund ..... then grab yourself a good 7/32 file and go at it free hand.

You might be surprised.

You may be right. I didn't have any trouble using the Husqvarna setup. I bought the Pferd because I thought I could keep the rakers at the right height and not have to turn the saw around. The old setup is definitely cheaper.

I have the 7/32 pferd and 3/8 chain and many of my chain are the woodland full chisel with excellent results.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

You might be surprised.

I use 3/8 stihl chain and that has always called for 13/64 file. I also use the stihl 2n1 guide, same as preferd with 13/64 file with great results.

I would go with what the chain recommends.

STIHL specifies 13/64" for their 3/8" pitch chain.
Oregon (and most everybody else) specs 7/32".

Is it because STIHL cutters have a different profile? Manufacturer preference? I don't know, but Pferd offers both sizes, so you can choose the size file that you would normally used.

These 2-in-one sharpeners do a good, basic job, and a lot of people like them. They do not let you 'customize' your cutters (e.g. more or less hook, higher or lower depth gauges, etc.) as some other file guides, and do not work on skip chain. But if those are not a big deal to you, you may be happy with the Pferd tool (also sold in STIHL and Husqvarna colors). If you decide that you don't like it, put it on CraigsList or in the Trading Post - someone will buy it.

Philbert

Back