Correct replacement chain for my refurb Poulan Pro PPR5020-BRC 20-inch 50cc chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustaHatRack

Social Distancing by living 5 roads off asphalt
Reaction score
Bought a reconditioned Poulan Pro PPR5020-BRC 20-inch 50cc chainsaw. (bought a place up in the mountains of North Arkansas and plan on heating with wood) The saw came today and the bar says it is .325 (20 .325-78) but the package the chain is in says 3/8" (20" 3/8 - 70DL), the guides on the bottom of the chain are stamped 72 but I counted them and there are 70 of them. So if I order an Oregon bar & chain combo which do I order? Do I select the 3/8" or the .325 and select the 70 or the 78 ? Also what is with the hook looking drags on that chain?? How could you set the depth on those things?? Thanks!!! (yeppers noods ask noobie questions, that's the way life goes.)

Sounds like they sent wrong bar. Looked at specs and says comes with 3/8 drive sprocket. Check your manual or saw. .375 is 3/8. That bar nose sprocket is wrong pitch for that chain. 72 is 50ga chain. You need to match bar and chain to your saw. Could change drive sprocket on saw to match pitch, but I would run 3/8.

Thanks Duce. I don't feel so bad/stupid now that I know the pros messed up and sent the wrong bar. So what bar&chain should I order from Oregon? The 3/8" w/70DL ? Anything else I need to know before I hit the buy button? Again, thanks for your time.

Thanks Duce. I don't feel so bad/stupid now that I know the pros messed up and sent the wrong bar. So what bar&chain should I order from Oregon? The 3/8" w/70DL ? Anything else I need to know before I hit the buy button? Again, thanks for your time.
For that chain, yes. You want a 50ga bar for that chain. Make sure you have 3/8 drive sprocket on your saw.

That saw came with an oddball 70 drive link count. Most 20'' bars today are 72 dl, any small mount Husqvarna ko95 bar will fit that saw, 16, 18 or 20 inch, the dl count will be stamped on the bar.

I'm sure they messed up the bar. I don't think their reconditioning place is that great. I got a reconditioned one and had to do a lot of carb adjustment to get it to run and rewind the recoil.

Finally finally found one. I have forgotten how many places I have called and online shops I have checked out with the help of google and you are correct Mr 'Old Guy", all I found all day was .325 pitch and/or 72 links. I sure have an odd ball chainsaw. Guess I better buy some extras anytime I can find them. >>If it hadn't been for yall's help I would have made lots of mistakes and lost lots of money and it prob would have been winter by the time I got it all worked out,<< Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge. P.S. I still use my little Homelite that I bought 45 years ago. I've had to replace the lines and tanks and chains a few times plus a pull rope but it still has the same bar and runs like a singer sewing machine.

They are not a bad saw, certainly better than a wildthing. I have 3 of em. Most poulans come with .325 chain and it throws people off when you try to get a .375 chain for your poulan with an odd dl count to boot, I just have my dealer spin me up a 70 dl .375 50 ga. lgx oregon
They seem to run best with the high screw out a bit more than 2 turns from bottom and the low screw more than that.

Back