Correct Saw For My Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipper_dp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and am in the process of researching a new saw. I thought this would be the best place to start. I currently live on a 1 acre lot (by no means a logging operation!) But it has plenty of trees for one acre and needs some cleaning. We are also prone to some pretty substantial thunder storms, wind shear, ice storms and snow storms. I have grown up in a family who has always had a chainsaw (HSQ, Stihl, Poulan Pro). I would like to find a good saw for my humble piece of land for cleaning and in case of a tree/branch down in my yard. Personally, I feel a pro model is wise, as (I assume) will be tougher, will be maintained properly and last longer than a Lowe/s or Home Depot Special. First question is, if money is not as much of a concern...is this logic correct? Will it be more beneficial to purchase a pro model over a home owner model? I have a good sense with a saw and have used my dad's plenty. I want to clean up small trees and trim small to moderate branches. My first two choices would be a Husky 346 XP or a Stihl MS 210. Are these good choices for what I am looking for? Eventually, I would like to have a little more land (hence a little more wooded area to clean). For this reason, I do not want something too small, which would require me to get another, bigger saw. Are there any other recommendations? I am thinking one of these with a 13"to 16" bar. Another question...is there no longer a 346 XP? Is it the 550 XP now? Is there any major noticeable difference between the two, in anybodies practical experience? I appreciate everyone's advice and comments.

346 vs 210 is like comparing Chevettes to Corvettes. If you can afford it, a pro saw will likely serve you the rest of your life. 346's are out of production but both new and used can be found if you look a little. The 550 is the replacement but it has not been without some teething pains.

346 vs 210 is like comparing Chevettes to Corvettes. If you can afford it, a pro saw will likely serve you the rest of your life. 346's are out of production but both new and used can be found if you look a little. The 550 is the replacement but it has not been without some teething pains.

So, I can I assume you are talking about the Stihl being the Chevette, and Husky the Corvette? I think the last saw my Dad bought was a Husky and that was about 20 years ago...he has an older Stihl...both are still working well...hence my question between the two.

Look into the Husqvarna 545. Pro grade lower pricing should fit your needs well.

So, I can I assume you are talking about the Stihl being the Chevette, and Husky the Corvette? I think the last saw my Dad bought was a Husky and that was about 20 years ago...he has an older Stihl...both are still working well...hence my question between the two.

He meant that the ms210 is not a pro saw. Stihl's version of the 346 is the ms261. Now it's apples to apples.

Get a 60cc saw. It'll last you into your next property and will be good for pretty much anything you'll ever cut. 562xp or ms362.

I would look for a used 036 pro. Muffler mod it and it will suit your needs just fine. Hang around here for a while and you'll start to notice your garage filling up with saws.

I would look at a Stihl MS 250 or a Husky 445. Both are comparable machines that may fit your requirements.Anyway I own both and they are tough saws for the money.I would not use over an 16 bar and chain, Ken

He meant that the ms210 is not a pro saw. Stihl's version of the 346 is the ms261. Now it's apples to apples.

Get a 60cc saw. It'll last you into your next property and will be good for pretty much anything you'll ever cut. 562xp or ms362.

Sorry...I meant the MS 261. My Bad

I would look for a used 036 pro. Muffler mod it and it will suit your needs just fine. Hang around here for a while and you'll start to notice your garage filling up with saws.

HA...That is what happened in the Tractor and Gun Forums too, Much to my wife's dismay!

:blob2:

I would look at a Stihl MS 250 or a Husky 445. Both are comparable machines that may fit your requirements.Anyway I own both and they are tough saws for the money.I would not use over an 16 bar and chain, Ken

I thought he was asking for pro models.

A saw is a chain with a motor attached

We all have our favorites, but being honest, I don't remember the last time I grabbed a saw in decent working order with a sharp chain that didn't get the job done. For the typical homeowner, maintenance, proper usage and good storage practices are going to have more of an effect on your experience than what particular model you choose. As far as brand goes, I would shop for dealers over models, they are going to be your partner so to speak as long as you own the saw. Right now I am only running stihls. Not because I haven't used plenty of huskies, echo's' shindawas, etc. In the past and been happy with them, but because I have two great Stihl dealers within 5 miles of me, the nearest huskies dealer is 40 miles away, and ....well.... hell, I just realized both my Stihl dealers carry echo too, I just walk right past em. Never mind, just get ya a Stihl 440 and never look back, I tried.

In all seriousness, good gas, good maintenance, good filing and keep in it out of the dirt, are more important than the particular saw you get. Some of these guys even manage to cut wood with poulans and macs, so anythings possible.:msp_biggrin: Jeff

If you are going to be doing more cutting (heating with firewood, firewood sales, farm/ranch maintenance) than a typical homeowner, the popular setup is a 50cc/70cc combo. Start with the 50cc model and add the 70cc+ saw when needed.

Examples:
Stihl 261 & 441/460/461
Husqvarna 346XP/550XP & 372XP

The one saw plan usually is a good 60cc saw:
Stihl 361/362 or Husqvarna 562XP

Me? If I put one saw on the tractor for cutting anything that happens to have fallen on trails or in fields, it's often the MS-361. If I have a full day of cutting, I'll take my 346XP for limbing and small bucking and the Makita 7901 for large bucking, stump making, and noodling. The saw I most frequently run is the 346XP/16" because it's light and nimble and with power to get through the size wood I typically need to cut.

Last edited:
Start visiting dealers,figure out which one you like the best and buy a saw from him,be brand blind.

We all have our favorites, but being honest, I don't remember the last time I grabbed a saw in decent working order with a sharp chain that didn't get the job done....

Good point. I just went on a little vacation only to spend one of the days cutting wood at my brother's place with a 42cc Craftsman and a Stihl 025. Apart from more noticeable vibrations, those little suckers cut nicely after I sharpened all chains.

He is. The 346xp is a state of the art pro saw, and the 210 a really cheap and weak "homeowner" saw.

Good point. I just went on a little vacation only to spend one of the days cutting wood at my brother's place with a 42cc Craftsman and a Stihl 025. Apart from more noticeable vibrations, those little suckers cut nicely after I sharpened all chains.

I find it impossible to ignore the excessive vibes and the overwhelming feeling of soft plastic (Stihl). No doubt a true "carpal tunnel" machine, if you use it often.....

Why would he require a pro saw with a 1 acre lot? I would think a 45/50cc would fit the bill.IMHO, Ken

I was really jsut looking at the pros because I am under the impression that they will be a better overall, heavier duty saw. There must be a reason why there are pro and why there are homeowner models. I usually go under the guide of buy the best, take care of it and it will last forever. Ultimately then, what is teh fundamental difference between a pro and homeowner saw?

Back