Cost effective to build own splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

I checked in with Speeco on this. Their pumps will do 3400 peak, and sustain 3000, so it's a true 34 ton. :dizzy:

I checked in with Speeco on this. Their pumps will do 3400 peak, and sustain 3000, so it's a true 34 ton. :dizzy:

But is there valve set for a 3400# bypass? Will the hoses handle that? Where are they getting a cylinder rated at over 3000#?

I call some BS on that....

Speeco told me that their bypass valves are set at 3500. They said that there are two ratings for components... sustained, and intermittent. IIRC They told me that the pumps are 3000 sustained, 4000 intermittent.

Ian

Last edited:
I'm glad I built my own

I Got the I beam 12" tall 8" wide 9' long for free
16 hrs Koler for $50
Ram 5" by 27", traded a metric tap, die set, $50 value
Valve was free
Hyd tank $34 for the metal
filter, tank fill, sight glass about $25
Tires and rims $45
3/4" steel for pusher $60
I got 15 gallons of oil for free, it was in a new dump truck but had blue die and the owner wanted the same oil as his other trucks.
hoses and fittings were $96
and $120 in paint and POR15

To get back to the original question.. is it cost effective to build your own splitter?

If you want an entry level basic splitter and you have to buy everything new, no. If you want one with a fast cycle time, log lift or hoist, catch tables, one with a little more attention paid to ergonomics, absolutely.

Price a splitter with an 18hp electric start engine, a 28gpm pump, 3/4" hoses and a 16 gallon hydraulic tank, and the $1500ish I have in mine suddenly got cheap. Now that store bought splitter will look much better than mine with much nicer paint or powder coat, the welds would hopefully look better and the whole thing would be more polished in design, but I bet you'll drop $3-4K on it. Personally, I wish I had the cash to buy one. They come standard with a lot of "Tim Taylor" grunts and such. LOL

Ian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back