cottonwood tree in 20's to 30 degree weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KodiakKen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is late december and I am helping a buddy of a buddy out. Haven't even looked at the tree but will help him out(good buddy). he has according to him a 3 ft cottonwood. plenty of room to notch and drop. Told me on the phone something about cutting top limbs out first..I figured on taking my gear anyway just in case..but for a free job..would you climb? Trying to figure at roughly 25 degree weather how much extra to leave in the hinge..frozen wood busts faster..figured on either throwing a line or climbing and setting a line 1/3 to the top and tying to my truck for the anchor. kinda a crap shoot until I see it..hate to think I am heading out to a buddy job where I will be on spikes all day..either way..I am sure it will work out in the end..just wondering..in a cottonwood..how much moisture is left in the bottom 2-3 foot range for the hinge

did it today

Dropped the tree..arrived at 930 to see everyone there waiting on me..NOT HAPPY about that..told them 930 to 10...nobody else has the experience or stupidity to drop a tree. hats off to the non experienced ones. pulled in the drive..parked my truck face to the tree 30 foot in front of everyone else. got out started putting on my boots..grandpa said..well we should be okay he is the closest vehicle..he will get hit first...I let it go in one ear and out the other..kinda sized the tree pulling in...maybe 80 foot. got the gear out and the 880 fired up...let the son in law set the rope off a ladder that I damn sure wouldn't climb about 30 foot up. I really should have taken pictures..dangit..but according to him on the phone prior..has to fall one of 2 ways..both the other ways will high high tension lines. get there..440 lines on the street and 220 going to the house..yeah..would suck to pay for the 440 lines but 220 would blow quick..but either way..even crown..set the rope after 30 minutes and the guys horsing around setting the pull line(((((((un-freakin-believable))))))))))))))) set the rope...told the son in law to start dragging it back towards my truck and did my face cut and got back to the truck about the same time he did...did at 2 to 1 mechanical advantage..dunno why but it is habit...started the truck put her in 4 low and left it running..said whoever wants to be a hero drive it...walking back to the tree..they are arguing about messing up the truck and I'm not drivin....got to the tree..started the saw..yelled up..."SOMEONE GET IN THE FU**IN TRUCK" the son in law did...had his head out the window..at least he is listening...started back cut..missed the mark...dammit...close to a 40" tree and 36" bar..off about 3" snow on ground...poor chevy couldn't do it no traction..so much for the extra money spent on lockers. halted the truck so he didn't mess up the yard too bad...drove a plastic wedge..cut another 2" the "right way" and hit the wedge again..pop..pop...signaled to the truck...snow, dirt, shi* flying everywhere...thank god for rev limiters...fell good...ok..here is where free friend of a friend stops...its on the ground. start walking back to the truck..he comes out with 2..yes 2 craftsman 16" saws..oh shi*..might hang around just for the laughs...well the other guy showed up with a stihl 250 with and 18" bar..he's good....watched and took a break giggling watching this guy trying to get these 2 saws running..had enough...got out the 360 fuel check oil check..chain..sharp at a barbers razor..started it...100 foot from the tree..reved a couple times...ready to go..handed it to the father in law..before I released my grip...looked him dead in the eye.."are you comfortable with a chainsaw" yes I am...looked honest enough...hit the dirt once..he was done...walked up...tapped him on the back..said "you look like you need a break" he handed the saw over..hell maybe he did need a break..that was the last man to touch my saw...maybe a 65-75 foot cottonwood..done...2 1/2 hours cut time. cleanup..not my problem...were going to pay me..took money out of the bank...I shook both their hands and made new friends. good nuff

Last edited:
oh forgot the hinge deal

didn't effect the hinge at all..thanks for the tips..if I would have cut right to start with would have been perfect..hinge still held..just 2 cuts 2" apart..I hate looking like I don't know what I am doing..even if they don't know. self conscience is a mother!

Good read KK, I enjoyed your spin of humor on this. I think we've all been there and done that before with friends of friends or 4th cousin once removed....

This is late december and I am helping a buddy of a buddy out. Haven't even looked at the tree but will help him out(good buddy). he has according to him a 3 ft cottonwood. plenty of room to notch and drop. Told me on the phone something about cutting top limbs out first..I figured on taking my gear anyway just in case..but for a free job..would you climb? Trying to figure at roughly 25 degree weather how much extra to leave in the hinge..frozen wood busts faster..figured on either throwing a line or climbing and setting a line 1/3 to the top and tying to my truck for the anchor. kinda a crap shoot until I see it..hate to think I am heading out to a buddy job where I will be on spikes all day..either way..I am sure it will work out in the end..just wondering..in a cottonwood..how much moisture is left in the bottom 2-3 foot range for the hinge

Yea I have a bad cottonwood to contend with also,been putting it off, now worried about the effect the cold will have on a dead cottonwood. About 80.ft tall easily 60,dbh.Oh well another day in paradise. good luck with yours.

Latest posts

Back