could gasket air leak cause intermittent idle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the HL series carb(Thanks for the thread Gary), on a Remington PL55. While checking and cleaning the oiler lines, I had to split the air box away from the cylinder. Everything went back together fine. I can get the saw to idle fine, but when you blip the throttle a couple of times it goes back to idle then slowly dies. It does not do this all the time. It can idle for a few minutes, fine, blip it and it's still fine. Blip it again and it dies. While it is idling, you can tip the saw 360 degrees and the idle does not change, so I think the crank seals are fine. I double checked the metering lever twice during the rebuild and it is flush with the base of the carb. It's just intermittent stalling and is very frustrating! Any suggestions

with the little info there is, it seems like an air leak between carb/cylinder. Have re-usued those same gaskets? if so change them or a light coat of gasket sealant between the mating faces should do the trick. Do not use excessive torque on the mounting bolts, you're likely to pull a thread. hope this helps!
cheers alain

Any recomendations on a type of gasket sealent? I think the permatex brand will break down with the fuel.
Thanks for the reply
Drew

EDIT:Wondered if a thin layer of Seal all would work? It is good against fuel

Last edited:
i just can't spit it out right now, when i get back home tonight i'll get that info for you, i use it all the time and it's made specifically to resist gas, fuel, oil and stay flexible, anyway stay tuned i'll get back to you soon!
cheers alain

Is it called "the rite stuff"? Just talked to my local shop, that's what he recommended. Comes in a caulking tube(half the lenght of a regual tube), but at $45, it's a little pricey. Might just have so sit down a make some new gaskets...uuggg, was hoping to cut some wood today while the weather held good.

Thanks for the replies. I'll work on the gasket first. Eliminate that as a potential problem and if that does not work, then I know I have an issue with the carb.

Is your needle valve set too high?

Sorry that didn't make much sense. Is your metering lever too high?

Last edited:
ok here's the stuff i use; made by Loctite, flange sealant category, name; gasket eliminator #515. Loctite p/n 51531. You should find it in any car parts store. i use it (very thinly) on all gaskets (new or used) having anything to do with gas, fuel, oil. after years of use on all kinds of equipement exposed to heat, cold, vibrations etc i can attest that it does its job as advertised. it is not for use on engine head gaskets though. It is specifically made for use as mentioned above, it's not one of those "it also resist such and such". not very expensive and a nice thing i find is that you can disassemble things years later and not have to tear gaskets apart , saves time and grief when called out "in the bush" for repairs...hope this helps, let us know your findings!
cheers alain

Is your needle valve set too high?

Sorry that didn't make much sense. Is your metering lever too high?

I paid really close attention to the metering lever on the rebuild. It is as close as possible to flush with the carb housing. I'm going to try working with the gaskets first. I reused the old ones(As I don't have and can't get new ones), that was probably my mistake. The gaskets looked great, no tears/chips or scuffing, but like that old adage-" do it right the first time", I should have made new gaskets while I had it apart. If that doesn't cure the problem, I'll drag this thread back up.
Thanks Alain, Next time I get to town(1 hr away) I'll grab some of that loctite.

Once again, thanks all

Latest posts

Back