Could I be converted to a Husky lover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Used my 371 XP for the first time today, and i really liked like its performance , great power and less vibration then my Stihls. I have a 20 inch bar with a new chain on it and it really cut the wood like butter, cut up a 32 inch oak with it. I found i was only using about half throttle most of the time. seems like the perfect firewood saw. I feel bad for bashing huskies now. had been running my 066 for about a half hour and grabbing this saw was a welcomed relief.

It's not just the full-fledged Husqys/Jonnies that have the primo AV. A few months back I got a PP4218 refurb, and got it ready for service. While clearing some Superstorm damage off trails with a friend and his stihl 250, we did a swap for kicks.
Immediately he commented about the much better AV on the PP, and noticeable extra power. That stihl 250 is available for $250. He wants to get a PP4218 refurb also, from VMInnovations. He now ignores his "stihl-head" buds. Likes his PP5020.

It's funny, you see Stihlheads come to the light, but you rarely see a devout Husqvarna lover bash Stihls (Niko not withstanding J/K). I think as a group that Stihlheads are more narrow minded in their appreciation of saws- it's Stihls, and Stihls only. Those that love Dolmar and Husqvarna tend to accept Stihls as well. As a saw nut grows and matures, they come to realize that other manufacturers make very good saws, ones that are often superior to the comparable Stihl offering.

I did manage to wreck the chain brake . it looks like it went through a wood chipper, and i didnt drop any logs on it or anything. not sure how it happened but it could be built a little stronger. a solid design like the stihl ones would be better. maybe they have changed this on the newer ones.

019.JPG 018.JPG 023.JPG I have 20 acres of big oaks and hickory trees to cut the biggest oak is 6 feet plus in diameter. I think i'm gonna leave that one it isnt worth the time it would take to cut it up.019.JPG

OP....That's how I felt when I ran my Husky 365XT. Little vibration and great power very smooth cutting saw. The 365XT really pulls like a beast. The Stihls seem to have better fit and finish but the Huskys handle great and seem to pull hard with the bar fully buried in hard wood.
I have kept it stock. I took a look at the Husky 346xp and the 550xp but bought a new Stihl MS261CM I wanted a 50cc saw with electronic carb and out-board clutch.

It's funny, you see Stihlheads come to the light, but you rarely see a devout Husqvarna lover bash Stihls (Niko not withstanding J/K). I think as a group that Stihlheads are more narrow minded in their appreciation of saws- it's Stihls, and Stihls only. Those that love Dolmar and Husqvarna tend to accept Stihls as well. As a saw nut grows and matures, they come to realize that other manufacturers make very good saws, ones that are often superior to the comparable Stihl offering.

Most intelligent/enlightened post I have read on AS in weeks.

I was a diehard Stihlhead.... grew up with them. Before AS I thought there was no saw made that was better than my 044. AS opened my mind to the idea but it took putting a 288 in my hands to open my eyes and see the light. Sold the 044. Just bought another one and it's sitting in Mastermind's shop. Strangly enough, Im not in any big hurry to run up there and get it. I thought I needed it..... but I know for a fact that it can't run with my 2171 (per the builder) so I guess I will either use it as my beater saw or wind up not using it at all and flipping it when the replacement for the 372 comes out. Thought about selling it and another one and buying a 461R but then again..... that saw cost more than a 390/2188 and they will both out-perform it side by side. I could buy 3 nice 288s for the price of a 461. It's funny how I thought I'd get back into the Stihls....... and am having a hard time getting the momentum and justifying the effort to do so.

OP....That's how I felt when I ran my Husky 365XT. Little vibration and great power very smooth cutting saw. The 365XT really pulls like a beast. The Stihls seem to have better fit and finish but the Huskys handle great and seem to pull hard with the bar fully buried in hard wood.
I have kept it stock. I took a look at the Husky 346xp and the 550xp but bought a new Stihl MS261CM I wanted a 50cc saw with electronic carb and out-board clutch.

Doesn't the 261CM have an inboard clutch like the other Stihls?

I bash Stihls once in a while. I was supposed to run the skidder the other day on a logging job so I only brought a small saw. Turns out they found someone to run the skidder and I needed to cut some wallnuts much larger than my 359 and 20" bar could handle. I had to use a 660 from the logging company. I was cursing that heavy pig all day and bore cutting with semi chisel is nearly impossible (when compared to square ground RSLK).

I think pro stihls are great saws, and I think xp huskies are great saws. As Stihl moves more models to spring AV, they will probably start to feel more similar. My only complaint about stihls is they are much more expensive on the used market, but I wouldn't complain about that one bit if I were selling one!

Stihl makes some great saws, and some dogs. Same as Husky.

Now that Stihl decided to blatently copy Husqvarna on filtration, and made a half hearted attempt at decent AV, they are even closer overall.

OP, wait until ya get some time with a 395XP that has been tweaked a bit. A little heavier than the 066, but it's like there's a couple plow mules pulling the chain, and dead smooth in the hands.

If a guy gets himself cornered with one make, he's cheating himself.

I've had a couple Husky's and they were pretty darn good saws. A few missing screws here and there but hey Stihl had a number of cranks break in the 660's. All saw makers have there good and there bad. There all good till they break. The only reason I'm a Stihl head is because I get all saws and parts at cost.

I used to be everything Stihl. Chainsaws, backpack blower and string trimmers, but after my eyes have been opened mainly from reading posts on AS the last year, I now run the best saws regardless of whose name is on it. Husky, Stihl or Dolmar.

Latest posts

Back