could it be the crab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a fuel side issue, it would likely be the vent. Once it stalls, crack the fuel tank open,close it back up and try running. Or just take the vent off and clean it.

If you suspect the shut off (unlikely), but to be sure, disconnect the wires at the coil. Keep in mind you'll have to choke the saw to shut it off. Take it out and run it.

If it's running for more than 5 seconds, will throttle up, idle, doubtful its an impulse hose.

I'd start with the first two listed above. Then get a spark tester ($6 at HF) and go run the saw. When the saw stalls out, add in the tester and check for spark. If those do not solve the issue, then we'll move forward.

Last edited:
If the tank vent were a problem, the symptom in the tank would be vacuum, I think. I'd heed the sage advice offered earlier 'bout the ignition, but if you insist it is a fuel problem.. plus, you may have gotten rid of the crabs but there is still a Nun in there somewhere.

I know there are a lot smarter people than me on here, and all the advice is good, but I would pull the muffler first and look at the piston. Then you know its not that. I have spent a lot of time ####ing with a saw and then found out it was scored....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Crabs or no crabs.:laugh:

If the tank vent were a problem, the symptom in the tank would be vacuum, I think. I'd heed the sage advice offered earlier 'bout the ignition, but if you insist it is a fuel problem.. plus, you may have gotten rid of the crabs but there is still a Nun in there somewhere.

you re rite their in a Nun in it cause its nun working rite L.O.L. Really I'm trying to work on all the suggestions 1 thing at a time thanks though

OK getting out to the job (yes I work on Sunday also)cylinder is good cleaning vents now will check spark wen in the field if saw starts to act up aegean (sounds like it mite) I'll reply later tonight with outcome

It could be

angry.jpg

If you keep running it, you may very well damage the piston.

If you just replaced the fuel lines, then you need to go through the carb.

the miss spelling was caused by auto spell check I just didn't catch it so bake off you perfect s-hits

little crabby are we? calm down, folks is just funnin but nobody's making fun of you. might be all of three members that can spell fer **** here, I aint one.

OK got every thing cleaned it did shut down puled the top cover off unplugged tank air inlet it ran fine from that point on so going to fix CARB also spark staid brit and blue thank you all who helped and p.o.to all smart -sses

little crabby are we? calm down, folks is just funnin but nobody's making fun of you. might be all of three members that can spell fer **** here, I aint one.

ya you re rite I am crabby pun intended L.O.L. had some tree branch cutouts and a pin oak to fell today the oak was killed by lightning hit making it hard as concrete not fun or easy heck even had a hard time getting my Spears to bite in and the spikes are new so I do apologise for any offence to anyone

I no this is an old post but just an update the saw is running very good and it was a problem with every thing it had buildup between coil and flywheel very clogged up carb and air vent but all good now thanks to all and no more crabs

I have a jonsered 450 today it was going real good then out of the blue it acted like it ran out of fuel and shuts off but will start rite up again for a short time but if I let it cool it runs longer the cooler it gets the longer it runs till it gets hot again it gets irritating and makes the job longer could it knead a carb job what do you think it does have new lines

If your saw has crabs we have a phenom here that is fit for Ripley's. If you "knead" your carb it probably won't help. Perhaps you should "knead the crabs" and see if you can make some type of seafood gumbo.

If you have a problem with the saw when it gets hot, it may be your ignition. :monkey:

I got it all fixed it was several things that kept me from fixing one got it all fixed no more problems or crabs

Back