Could y'all sharpen this one more time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
What's that sir?
This here chain.
What chain? That's a hunk of barbed wire.
No, I been using it as sawchain.

A guy actually had this on his saw.

:eek: ROFLMAO :laugh:

I can thankfully say that I have never before seen, a chain that bad off. WOW

Last edited:
Well, the bar was in equally good shape so he got the whole shooting match, bar/chain/sprocket. He should get another 20 years out of that.

I think that's the "scratcher chain" Art mentioned once.  I can see now why he'd said it would take 50# geared saw to run it.

;<i>)</i>

Some of you guys have it to easy. We see at least one or two of those every month. Half the time the dude wants to argue it only needs touching up.

Some of you work your saws for a living, I'm sure many of you who work the shop side see these sort of things often enough. It's really sad.

The pro sawyers around here usually take better care of their stuff than this. The landscapers are another story, the most battered and abused equipment ever. One guy has a BR400 (backpack blower) that got dragged behind his trailer, an old liscense plate and some duct tape and he had fixed "Good as new". The weekend warriors are the worst for saw abuse. One guy threw a fit because we "put his bar on upsidedown" We tried to explain it was like rotating the tires on his car but in the end it was easier to flip the bar for him.

I hear ya on the up-side down bar. I know longer even try to do that for homeowners, just isn't worth the hassle.

The manufactures should put the logo on up-side down on one side and make the colors a little different on each side ( so we could remember when we flipped the bar) . Then the homeowners wouln't be so upset about having the bar on "wrong".

I'm learning how to do the most critical maintainence on my saws, but I'm not as bad about it now as I was a year ago. My chains are mostly in better shape than that, my bars are straight and true (most of them are anyways) my entire home looks like I live with leatherface and his psycho family. I have saws everywhere except for the bathroom bedrooms and kitchen. Not too often have I seen a chain like that, but I did have a neighbor with a little Eager Beaver 2.0 with a 12" bar on it, a worn to death drive sprocket, and the sprocket in the nose of the bar came out one day while I was cutting, I dont know how that happend but it did, then I swapped the 12" with a 14" I had from a Mac 130 I had once and it worked just fine, then he goes out get a new bar and chain, but no new sprocket to go with the other new parts, I'm going to see if I can bring the saw over soon to rebuild the carb, and I'll order a drive sprocket to replace the one on the saw at the same time.

Some people just dont understand the sawchain has to be just so for it too work properly, others just dont see that uneven bar rails will cause the saw to cut circles in the wood, some are just not supposed to have a saw at all. Then there are the people that think that you can run plain gas in a 2 stroke engine, I wont even begin to get into those people.

I really do not understand you guys. I thought you knew, that is SKIP chain. Instead of cutting it skips over the wood.

Bill

Lewis,

I believe you have added a C-5 to the collection since I last talked with you. I have a couple C-5's myself.

Bill

So it's settled it's a 'skip and scratch chain', cool never seen one of those before. :D

C-5, Homelite added to the list:

Originally posted by Bill G
Lewis,

I believe you have added a C-5 to the collection since I last talked with you. I have a couple C-5's myself.

Bill

I'm surprised that this was noticed so quickly. Yes, I've added a Homelite, model C-5, to my collection, that I recieved from one of the AS members. I've cleaned, repaire what was needed to get her to run, sanded, primed and painter the saw. Couldn't get any Homelite metalic blue paint locally, but found some that is a real close match. Managed to save a couple of the decals and think she turned out rather well, if I do say so myself. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my 35mm film developed and scaned to my computer.

This July I have a friend who will be home, on vacation, from Ohio. He has obtained two more saws for me to restore. They are a Homelite, model C-51 and a Bolens, model 3900-10. Both are said to be in running condition. Can't seem to find any information to do with the Bolens, 3900-10. I can find a model 3910 on Mike's site, but have not found this model listed anywhere else. My friend in Ohio says it looks like the model 5700 listed on Mike's site, but will have to wait untill I see it to see just wht it is. He's not a chainsaw person and insist that he sent me the right numbers for the model. Mabe, some one here knows if such an animal exsist. Probably some variation of the 3910 model. Would be nice if it was some sort of prototype saw made before production of a particular model saw was introduced. But that's hoping too much to ask for, but I'll keep dreaming on, in my old age. Ha. Also have a couple other friends who are keeping there eyes open for me. One I talked to recently says he might know of a couple old saws, that he can pick up for me and would check into it and let me know. He's 60 ish and says his father had a couple that might be still kicking around in an old shed and would check it out and give them to me, if I wanted them. Course I said sure. He says one looks like the C-5, but wasn't sure what it was. Showed him my collection and information I've collected on some of my saws and he liked what he saw. I don't pretend to me any sort of expert restorer, but I try. Well, rambled on enough, so will end it for now. Talk later and take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
I bet a butter knife cuts better than that chain :laugh:

A contractor I work for gave me his 372 with a 28 bar and a chain like that to cut firewood with. I asked him what in the h*ll I'am I gonna cut with that. I went back to the shop and grabbed the new 372 with 28" bar and new chain.

tellim u sure understand him getting rid o that saw. way too heavy or something..just dont lettim see u having fun with it..:)

Reply to Tony:

Originally posted by tony marks
tellim u sure understand him getting rid o that saw. way too heavy or something..just dont lettim see u having fun with it..:)

Hi Tony. Don't know for sure if this directed to me or not. But I have fun tinkering and running any saw, I can can get my hands on. I love giving them a little TLC and see what they'll do. The bigger the better. I'd like to get ahold of a couple old 2 man saws to tinker with and mabe someday I will. There used to be a few around here, but have probably bit the dust a long time ago. The local saw shops, junk them out to the scrap heap, so they don't have to work on them or service them, if someone should happen to buy them and bring them back for repaires. They would rather sell new. OK, take care. Lewis.

Back