couldn't go milling today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Battery is kaput on the wood hauler and I needed to work on the woodshed project, anyway. This is how far I've got. At this rate, it should be finished in 5 or 10 years. :laugh: It's 24 x 36 and will have a loft, and a gambrel roof. Just a non-level dirt floor, since there was no budget to level the site or pour a pad.
attachment.php

But I did go scouting for more trees to mill.

This is an area that I worked over a couple years ago. It was seed-tree logged about 3 years ago, the slash fire got way out of control, and many of the seed trees were killed by the fire and/or blown over. I hauled off quite a bit of wood until the state decided to do a salvage sale and kicked me out.

So they salvaged some of the dead wood, had another slash fire ...... and more trees got burnt, and more trees blew down. An ecologgers work of cleaning up the forest is never done. :laugh:

It's practically a clearcut now.
attachment.php

There were several dead standing dougs, killed by the slash fires. Doug is adapted to natural wildfires. Its thick bark protects it from a "cool" fire. But if the fire gets too hot, it can burn through the bark or even burn the roots.
attachment.php

This one blew down because there is no longer a thick forest to block the wind. It's terribly crooked and limby, but the 26+" trunk is quite usable.
attachment.php

Then I drove to the top of the ridge and looked down at the Snake River at the bottom of the canyon. That's Oregon on the horizon, where all the smog is coming from. This is a south facing slope that has prickly pear cactus and rattlesnakes.
attachment.php

Then I drove to the top of the ridge and looked down at the Snake River at the bottom of the canyon. That's Oregon on the horizon, where all the smog is coming from. This is a south facing slope that has prickly pear cactus and rattlesnakes.
attachment.php

I really like that shot - I don't know why but layered mountainside lighting like that give me goosebumps.

Last edited:
I really like that shot - I don't know why but layered mountainside lighting like that give me goosebumps.
Glad you like it. My photography doesn't do it justice.

BobL, if you lived here, you'd never get tired of taking pictures of the Salmon and Snake river canyons. Sunsets are neat. A sprinkling of snow helps, too. Rainbows ....... are you sure you want to go back to Australia ? :laugh:

Let's see if I can find a few more.

Looking towards the head of the same canyon.
attachment.php

The woodhauler doing snowplow duty on the one-lane logging road to the Salmon river.
attachment.php

This time on the Snake river side.
attachment.php

BobL, if you lived here, you'd never get tired of taking pictures of the Salmon and Snake river canyons. Sunsets are neat. A sprinkling of snow helps, too. Rainbows ....... are you sure you want to go back to Australia ? :laugh: [/IMG]
Very nice pics mtngun.

Yeah - I have to admit your scenery is pretty amazing and the photo-opportunities here are just awesome, but while those pics of the snow are also very scenic, it reminds me that for day to day stuff I would rather live in our heat than in your cold.

I have to admit that despite the summer heat, Perth has a very good climate. We have as much annual sunshine (3000+ hours a year) as Phoenix and LA, but 4 times the Phoenix and twice the LA annual rainfall and most of it falls in the 3 winter months of the year. On winter days the temperature typically ranges from 50 to 65F if its raining and 40 to 65 if its sunny and sometimes we have periods of up to two weeks with no clouds or rain. In summer, even if it reaches 110F during the day, on those days the mornings and some evenings get down to 65F. I can wear shorts and sandals to work for about 8 months of the year - here in Calgary I'm battling to do that 2 days a week in the middle of summer! My favorite season is between summer and winter (we don't really have a "fall") where its 60 to 80F and periods of up to 4 weeks with few clouds, no rain and very sunny skies. A few years back we had 6 weeks of this - perfect milling weather - pity about the day job!

Last edited:
Had to make a trip to town to get a new battery for the woodhauler (see, this is on topic :laugh:). Took a few pics along the way.

Looking back at the drainage where I get my wood (arrow). Smog is due to forest fires in Oregon and Washington.
4858152302_4521981882_b.jpg

Looking down at the Salmon River. Like much of the American West, the south slopes are grass, sagebrush, rocks, and weeds, while the north slopes are usually forested.
4858150768_09e227e750_b.jpg

The famous "River of No Return."
4858153100_4dc998cb3f_b.jpg

We've been enjoying some cool weather, so it was "only" 110 F at the river. 120 F is not uncommon.

A few hardwood trees grow on private land near the river -- walnut, cherry, locust, ash -- but so far I haven't snagged any hardwood to mill.
4857532481_f491f4cd6f_b.jpg

While I was in town, I picked up a wood cutting permit, too, so now I'm semi-legal for the next 60 days. :D

Last edited:
That's some great country you live in!
My wife and I want to float the Middle Fork someday.
Thanks again for the pics.

What are you snow plowing? Your driveway?:laugh::laugh:

Beautiful country.

If one has never been to the Snake river canyon, it is indeed hard to imagine the sheer steepness and just overall natural beauty of the area.

I've had the good fortune to be able to chase around ...I meant:, hunt Elk during archery season years ago on the Oregon side of those pics. and I was glad that I was younger and in great shape.

The Snake River drainage is perhaps the most beautiful drainage in North America. Thanks for the Pics.:clap:

great pics, another reminder of why it has been called "America the beautiful."
Thanks for posting!

Back