Counterfeit STIHL Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been posted before, but fits here.

Philbert

I'm not defending the counterfeit, but that saw is not a copy of any Stihl - only the color scheme looks like Stihl. This is what I wrote about that video before:

The saw they tested is not a copy of any Stihl, it is clearly a RedMax G5000 clone. I suspect the original G5000 would have performed the same. Does that make it a bad saw?

Do the tests represent what you would do with a saw? If those kinds of forces were placed on the saw, what would happen to the operator? Did the added strength needed to pass those tests increase the price or weight, and would you make that tradeoff if it did?

Basically, they tested a mag construction pro saw against a saw with a two-piece alloy engine case but plastic tank/handle assembly. I'd like to see a comparison of an authentic model to the counterfeit of the exact same model.

I'd like to see a comparison of an authentic model to the counterfeit of the exact same model.

Sounds like a GTG event to me!

Philbert

PS - I was amazed at the number of counterfeit saws seized, and wonder how many made it through. There is a difference between a copy/clone/imitation saw (copyright, tradmark, and patent issues remain, of course) and one intended to deceive a customer. o8f150 is probably wondering what they did with the ones seized . . .

Philbert

The only thing I saw with the Stihl name was on the bar. It didn't even look like any Stihl saw I've ever seen. Couldn't be any worse than any other Chinese made product out there.

I was amazed at the number of counterfeit saws seized, and wonder how many made it through
Yeah, that is a big number. I wonder how it compares to actual Stihl saws sales during the period?

I've heard plenty about the counterfeit Stihl saws, but have yet to see one first hand.

I've also heard about the Chinese clones / copies. But still, have never seen one first hand.

So.....is it the general public at large, falling for these fakes, or is it saw users that just don't know any better? I'd like to think that anyone that's been around chainsaws for a while, would know the difference between the real deal and the crap stuff right off.

I'm going to assume that I would.

That fake is one I could easily fall for. Especially when it is dirty and used, it is hard to spot things like missing stickers, finish, etc., unless you are very familiar with that specific model.

While I do not speak Hebrew he does show many differences between the fake and real saw

Google Translate:
Jeremy Tillman explains how to identify a saw Stihl fake. Stihl's garden tools are sold only in licensed stores and over the Internet or persons details.
For further questions or concerns regarding operations on tools can call us
Service station.

Philbert

It's not all about Stihl. Reportedly there's a brisk flow of Husqy 262 "clones" also, IIRC.

Alibaba dot com is a veritable smorgasbord of such crap.

It's not all about Stihl. Reportedly there's a brisk flow of Husqy 262 "clones" also, IIRC.

Absolutely. I posted the STIHL comments due to a news release I saw. A lot of guys here on AS complain that STIHL does not seem to be doing anything to stop the stuff on eBay, etc. It looks like they are making some effort. I assume Husqvarna is as well.

Philbert

As many of you know I purchase and resell a good number of Husky saws, I went to purchase a brand new "husky" 372xp this evening for a really good price.

Ended up meeting the husband wife combo at a local gas station. Husband stayed in the car, wife pulled the box from the back seat and quickly placed it in the back of my truck and held out her hand for some money. I brought the saw around to the tailgate and began removing items.

1. I noticed the bar cover was red in color and really cheaply made.
2. The bar was grey no apparent markings
3. The owners manual and box had the "Q" missing in every place it said Husqvarna, she literally cut out the "K" the clones use to spell husqvarna
4. No stickers anywhere on the saw, recoil, top cover, chain cover etc.
5. Missing a ID tag, the hole for the rivets were present but no tag.

The saw actually looked spot on to a real husky other than the obvious clues mentioned about. I offered her $100 figuring it might be a interesting saw to play around with, when I asked her where she purchased the saw she said ebay, there was no doubt she knew exactly what she was trying to sell. I hope someone does not take the bait.

Back