Counting Cash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm curious your opinions...

I sell firewood...make my own...and also purchase from local guys to resell.

Two guys I make routine purchases from are interesting to me. I know them well from buying their wood...we are not friends outside of their wood lot.

When I give them their cash, the one guy puts my money directly into his pocket and thanks me. He doesn't count it.

The other guy across town will count my money right in front of me before he thanks me. It just seems odd because we have had probably 20+ transactions and I am always accurate.

Yesterday I made a delivery to a new customer and the man gave me a stack of cash for his firewood. I put the money directly in my pocket and thanked him. lol. I actually didn't count it until I got home. It was all there btw.

It just seems to me, at least in the firewood community, the people are honorable and I have yet to be "burned" by an unscrupulous individual...not saying I ever will but...

I am curious what your opinions are on this side of the business. What do you do as a seller? How does this affect you as a purchaser?

Depends on the person. If it is a repeat firewood customer, I usually will not bother to count the bills or will accept a personal check. If you are a first time customer, cash only and I will count it before I drop the wood. It usually works the same way when purchasing log length.

business is business! when it comes to payment its neither bad business to count the funds paid out or accepted! walk into any store and hand a cashier a wad of bills, its counted before/at the till and placed into the proper cash slot! as said before friends, regular clients and family really don't make a difference when it comes to "BUSINESS FOR ALL CONCERNED"..... good business and proper practice!

If I'm buying, I count it to the seller. 20,40,60,80, 100 - hand over - 20,40,60... Then there's no question what I gave him and what he received.

Went with a friend once to buy a car - looked, made a deal, he hands him the cash. Guy disappears into the house with the wad uncounted and closes the door leaving buddy in the yard empty handed. All kinds of things were going through his mind for the next 10 mins - until the guy finally came back out with a bill of sale. Since then - he counts it over to the seller too.

If I'm selling, and we're talking more than a few bills, I prefer they count it in front of me / to me, but am not ashamed to count it back to them. Always in the open, always obviously, we we both know it's correct.

Our Canadian bills like to stick to each other - more times than not you have to recount just to get it right.

If I'm buying, I count it to the seller. 20,40,60,80, 100 - hand over - 20,40,60... Then there's no question what I gave him and what he received.

Went with a friend once to buy a car - looked, made a deal, he hands him the cash. Guy disappears into the house with the wad uncounted and closes the door leaving buddy in the yard empty handed. All kinds of things were going through his mind for the next 10 mins - until the guy finally came back out with a bill of sale. Since then - he counts it over to the seller too.

If I'm selling, and we're talking more than a few bills, I prefer they count it in front of me / to me, but am not ashamed to count it back to them. Always in the open, always obviously, we we both know it's correct.

Our Canadian bills like to stick to each other - more times than not you have to recount just to get it right.
!! there's no shame in being accurate and correct....

August hunickie has a video where he tells of a deal. Guy hands him the cash and tells him he'd better count it. The guy added a substantial tip on top of the agreed upon sum. But by telling August to count it and seeing if he truthfully told him there was extra money he got to get a good reference point as to his character. Kinda clever I thought.

Could just be force of habit. Sumtimes I do sumtimes I don't. Depends on the amount involved not so much the people. Dont be offended, maybe next time just come out and say hey, I noticed you always count the money I give you, did you have a bad deal? He may even have a funny story to go with it. When I count it is never cause I don't trust the person.

It depends how much money it is for me and if I know the person or have done business with them before. That being said anybody can make a mistake or miscount. I would not be offended if somebody counted money that I gave them. I still have faith that there are more honest people out there than dishonest....unless we are talking politicians than I would count the bills and use one of those markers to check for counterfeit bills while having my other hand on my wallet....but that is for another forum :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm curious your opinions...

I sell firewood...make my own...and also purchase from local guys to resell.

Two guys I make routine purchases from are interesting to me. I know them well from buying their wood...we are not friends outside of their wood lot.

When I give them their cash, the one guy puts my money directly into his pocket and thanks me. He doesn't count it.

The other guy across town will count my money right in front of me before he thanks me. It just seems odd because we have had probably 20+ transactions and I am always accurate.

Yesterday I made a delivery to a new customer and the man gave me a stack of cash for his firewood. I put the money directly in my pocket and thanked him. lol. I actually didn't count it until I got home. It was all there btw.

It just seems to me, at least in the firewood community, the people are honorable and I have yet to be "burned" by an unscrupulous individual...not saying I ever will but...

I am curious what your opinions are on this side of the business. What do you do as a seller? How does this affect you as a purchaser?
If you read the lonely planet guide to the USA is says check the numbers on the bills while your in America as there all the same colour and you may get caught out!
I wouldn’t be offended by it.

I always count money in front of the payer. It isn’t out of mistrust, but rather for transparency. I don’t want to be underpaid but I don’t deserve to be overpaid either. As a buyer, when I pay for something with cash, I request the seller/cashier counts the money in front of me. Same deal. I always mention it to signal that my feelings won’t be hurt.

I also count my change. More often than not if there is an error it is in my favor. I’ve actually gotten into minor arguments about cashiers giving me too much change. Ive even had them refuse to take it back!

Reasonable, honorable human beings make errors. And not all human beings are reasonable and honorable. It seems like the second group is the one that gets their feelings hurt if there is a perception that their trustworthiness is in question. All the more reason to count your money.

I always count the money in front of the buyer or seller. I have had people pay me with money out of a ATM (New money likes to stick together) and there was an extra bill in the stack. If there is a problem I want it fixed before anyone puts the money away. I have sold a lot of stuff over the years and have had people short me and over pay. Had folks hold a bill out to check if you were counting. They would have it in there other hand and then hand it to you after you were done counting.

Back