couple 066 pics and a big oak I had an encounter with this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
My buddy called and said to load up the truck with the big uns to help him clean up a tree that came down in last weeks storms. It wasn't as big as he told me but was still big to say the least. The 36" bar had some troubles not being long enough a few times.

First pic is the pic of how the Pin Oak looked when I showed up:

attachment.php

Next is the mid section from the first pic that is half stuck in the ground.

attachment.php

Some of the damage to surrounding trees...

attachment.php

Some decent sizes logs up by the loading area.....

attachment.php

066 pics to follow.....

-Steve

Here is the trunk with my pair of 066's. The newer 066/660 sporting a 36" bar. The red light Special is wearing a 24" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A couple other saws that contributed today...

attachment.php

And of coarse, one shot of me and my ugly mug with one of my 066's

attachment.php

-Steve

I miss the big hardwoods back 'home'. Grew up in Medina County. We had about 20 acres of woods on our land - consisting of oak (various), hickory, locust, ash, elm, and poplar that was hard as nails (actually it would bend 16 penny nails) and some other stuff - ironwood, beech, etc. Farmed during the summer months, and logged our woods in the winter months - ran a firewood business to stay active, and to keep the woods up, and of course for a slight profit.

The softwood stuff out here is easy to split, but burns up before you throw the next piece in the wood stove! Nice looking tree!

just checkin

Does the first photo of the second post show a face cut one way and a tree off at about 135 degrees?

just checkin,

Freakingstang said:
And of coarse, one shot of me and my ugly mug with one of my 066's

attachment.php

-Steve

Goddang son, you're almost my age! By the way you type and talk online I thought you were like 50 years old! (That's a compliment! :cheers: )

And I miss the hardwoods too. I'm from Indiana, and I haven't seen an oak tree in I don't know how long! :cry:

smokechase II said:
Does the first photo of the second post show a face cut one way and a tree off at about 135 degrees?

just checkin,

Smoke, I knew someone would ask....

Originally I was gonna drop the trunk to the downhill side. I made a small notch and stepped back to rethink. The pics don't really show the hill on the backside.

I change my mind before making a bore cut so, I made another notch and dropped it to the uphill side, with the downhill notch, it made placing a couple wedges fairly easy....lol The guy that owns the property wanted it to the downhill side, for other reasons. I was uneasy with it, and dropped it the way I felt comfortable. I would not have made any "other" notches, had this been a full standing tree, instead of a 15-20 foot trunk. No, I do not fell trees for a living, but have had my share of big trees off of this hill before.

-Steve

fishhuntcutwood said:
Goddang son, you're almost my age! By the way you type and talk online I thought you were like 50 years old! (That's a compliment! :cheers: )

And I miss the hardwoods too. I'm from Indiana, and I haven't seen an oak tree in I don't know how long! :cry:

Cool, I'll be 27 at the end of August. I have gotten that from a lot of people. That is scary, cause I don't think I act my age half of the time. lol. That is really a bad pic, but one of the few I have on my dig camera. lol.

Jeff, I know you are a big dawg kind of guy...Notice the red light doesn't have any? Just got it together the night before (I woods ported it from a burned up parts saw) Got an extra set kickin around? It runs extremely well, I should have had the 3 footer on that one instead of the stock one, but I wanted to be easy on it during it's maiden voyage!

Four Paws said:
I miss the big hardwoods back 'home'. Grew up in Medina County. We had about 20 acres of woods on our land - consisting of oak (various), hickory, locust, ash, elm, and poplar that was hard as nails (actually it would bend 16 penny nails) and some other stuff - ironwood, beech, etc. Farmed during the summer months, and logged our woods in the winter months - ran a firewood business to stay active, and to keep the woods up, and of course for a slight profit.

The softwood stuff out here is easy to split, but burns up before you throw the next piece in the wood stove! Nice looking tree!

Wayne county here, Wooster actually. Got great loads of hardwoods out here. I have three more good sized trees to finish taking down next weekend, there is a nice hickory that I want to save the wood for my chainsaw mill, a couple cherrys and one more elm. The only problem with this whole deal, is that my best friend Dave, who's property is in between Cambridge and Zainesville.... A little bit of a haul, but believe it or not, they don't burn wood, so once I get my trailer finshed, I'll have lots of loads coming back with me!

-Steve

This pic shows the backside of the hill a little better

attachment.php

My buddy Dave trying to be He-man (and that chain stayed up there for quite a while until most of the underbrush was gone.

attachment.php

multiple face cuts

Multiple face cuts can be a smart move.

One can always claim, "Hey, it went where I faced it, whats your problem?"

Hope that was humor.

Nice chunk of wood, good job and looked like fun (in a working sortta way). Visions of nice thick tabletops. The two black spots on the round, fencing per chance?

Hope you had PPE !!!

I work in the bush part time like you. I use a helmet with a face shield,safety glasses,safety gloves,chainsaw pants and boots.I have two 066's and a MS660.These saws and the size of trees your are working with are not kid's stuff!I took a two day cut and skid course and and work as safely as I can.My next large tree in our bush is a White Oak 40" DBH and 30' to the first limb.It looks solid and should make lots of lumber and has a very large top for firewood.Remember, Safety Equipment may not prevent an accident but you have a better chance of a less severe injury.

Freakingstang said:
Cool, I'll be 27 at the end of August. I have gotten that from a lot of people. That is scary, cause I don't think I act my age half of the time. lol.

Jeff, I know you are a big dawg kind of guy...Got an extra set kickin around?

I'll be 28 in September. I got the same thing when I first got here. I get it now. Just the other day, I guy I work with thought I was 37!

And sorry, no extra dogs. I just sold my last spare set a couple of months ago. Sorry man.

Jeff

Looks like someone was having fun this weekend working on a big old tree.

Nice pictures Freakingstang! I also gave my 346 a workout last weekend. The Bobcat is not quite as strong as your friends Newholland, but it would move this water willow.
Woods_02.jpg

woodfarmer said:
is pin oak really hard?, most of our large oaks were logged out 30-40 years ago, there should be a winters worth of firewood in the limbs alone.

It is pretty hard, might not be as hard as the red oak I am used to splitting, but it burns quite well, It does take a while to dry out though. I don't know how hard it is compared to white oak, I haven't messed with any in a long time.

attachment.php

The big, long limb that is still attached to the standing trunk in this pic was over 20" in diameter. It was probably closer to 22". My 372 only had a 20" bar, and it would not clear it....There should be quite a bit of firewood in the "limbs" of this tree. I am saving a couple of the bigger straighter sections of the oak and a couple of the cherries for my mill. The rest will be firewood for a couple winters from now.

BRNCREEPER-How you like that 346? I love my little Dolmar 5100. The more time I get on it, the better it runs and the more I like it! Nice pic

-Steve

CaseyForrest said:
Steve, the dogs are $12.50 each at the dealer. At least at mine they were.

Thanks Kris, I didn't even think about them when I was at the dealer the night before getting the last little pieces I needed (kill switch/choke shaft, gaskets, etc) My Amish guy is quite a bit cheaper than the rest of them, And he stocks every part for a 066 as that is what the loggers run. He must not have an up to date price list....lol. When I bought that 36" ES bar, it was 70 bucks and some change, and the two chains in skiptooth were 44.00 total. He has a deal if you buy two or more, the first is regular price, 2nd is 4 dollars more. It wouldn't really work on 3 chains, but you get the idea. I think after 4, the 5th is free or maybe the 6th. I have never bought that many of the same chain at once, so I really don't know. I have a ton of oregon chain that I use on the play saws, but when I go to the woods to cut all day, I prefer the Stihl chain on every saw I own. It cuts faster and stays sharper longer, even in dirty conditions. The oregon chain is ok, but the second it sees a little bit of dirt 5 feet away, it is dull. Must be the same steel used in their bars.....You look at them wrong and the wear funny. lol.

-Steve

Back