couple 066 pics and a big oak I had an encounter with this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 346, it’s much better after the muffler is opened up. Not a very forgiving saw with a dull chain though. The heated handles are nice in colder weather. The Bobcat has a 16 hp Kohler which seems adequate. It would drag the log in the picture easy enough, but the backend would come up if I tried to pick it up.
I like the looks of that New Holland compact tractor. Sometime I’d like to try an 066. The Dolmars sound like they are light and powerful, I wish I had a Dealer close by!:rock:

I found a little better pic on me online from a GTG this spring. That is Gypo getting ready to swing at me. :laugh: Speaking of the Canukian, where has he been these days?

FreakjohnSmall.jpg

-Steve

Steve, your prices for bar and chain are a tad cheaper then I can get. 36" ES cost me $75, and two skip rs chains came to $45, with buy one, get the second whatever off of the first...

Freakingstang said:
I found a little better pic on me online from a GTG this spring. That is Gypo getting ready to swing at me. :laugh: Speaking of the Canukian, where has he been these days?

FreakjohnSmall.jpg

-Steve

Must have been the OCC hooded sweatshirt...

04ultra said:
Must have been the OCC hooded sweatshirt...

What is that suppose to mean? I met a few of those guys before the show was ever on. They are a good group of guys, but I think the fame got to their heads....

He really wasn't swinging at me, but I honestly don't know why the pic looks like that. lol. It is funny what the camera can pick up at least expected times.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
but I think the fame got to their heads....

-Steve

That is true..The first few shows were good..Then.....It turned sour..same thing every week..LOL Sr. yells at Jr. and Jr. quits and Mikey saves the show..LOL

big oak

Things you didn't mention or show a closeup of: The black stain is from iron or steel. May have been a fence nailed to the tree years ago. Did you hit a nail or wire? The pics do not show a leaf close up. The bark appears to be that of a white oak, not a pin oak and without a closeup of the leaf I can't tell. I have to take your word for it, Pin Oak. I can tell you the white oak around here are harder than the red oak and any time you see the deep purple or black stain it's time to check the chian for damage. How many cutters did you chip on the chain? All in all it's a good size oak though.

Hardwoods

Four Paws said:
I miss the big hardwoods back 'home'. Grew up in Medina County. We had about 20 acres of woods on our land - consisting of oak (various), hickory, locust, ash, elm, and poplar that was hard as nails (actually it would bend 16 penny nails) and some other stuff - ironwood, beech, etc. Farmed during the summer months, and logged our woods in the winter months - ran a firewood business to stay active, and to keep the woods up, and of course for a slight profit.

The softwood stuff out here is easy to split, but burns up before you throw the next piece in the wood stove! Nice looking tree!

I think you are having wistful memories. My friend had a cherry tree that was down in his yard. It was 35-40 inches in the trunk, up to about 6 foot from the base. It's a long story but a tree service had left the trunk after cutting it and his neighbor had tried to cut it with a dull saw and made a bunch of curved cuts but couldn't cut it up. So the cherry from the 10 foot base was was worthless with all the bad cuts. Anyway, I came over and cut it up for him. I cut it into 12-20" thick pieces....like giant slices of pizza. I loaded them into my trailer and dumped them in my back yard about 3-4 months ago. The trunk had been laying in his back yard for 6 months.

Two weeks ago I went out on a cool Friday night to try to split it with my favorite maul. After all, this was well seasoned wood. The wood was nice and dry with lots of big cracks, at least big enough to slip a quarter in two into. I'm 40, about 220 pounds, and in pretty good shape. And I've split a lot of wood in my lifetime. And I have a nice fat splitting maul that normally splits a 14-18" piece of wood with one swing. I almost killed myself trying to split some of that stuff. I finally gave up after splitting 3 or 4 pieces. I got my Stihl 041 w/16" bar and cut down the pieces with the grain (I know, you are supposed to do that). I cut those pieces from every possible angle until I could get them small enough to fit into my Buck stove this winter. I spent at least an hour cutting that wood up. My saw threw out huge, giant slivers and created mounds of cuttings that filled several large yard garbage bags as I cut up this cherry. This stuff was as hard as bricks. It was simply unsplittable unless you cut it into a very small piece.

My point is this. Your fond memories of hard wood as just fond memories. While I like how it burns, there are times that I wish we had more pine and less oak, ash, cherry and hickory around here. And my back definitely wishes we had more soft wood.

Hack said:
Hey Steve -

So did the 5100S partake in this fun fest? :cheers:

Sorry. I'm just, uhh, biased. :biggrinbounce2:

Yup.. center of the tailgate right beside the Husky 372. Actually, I used the 372 for about three cuts, the rest were from the 066's and the 5100 on the small stuff.

attachment.php

Freakingstang said:
Yup.. center of the tailgate right beside the Husky 372. Actually, I used the 372 for about three cuts, the rest were from the 066's and the 5100 on the small stuff.

LOL! Well, that wasn't the glowing endorsement I was looking for, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Hack

Future 5100S owner, t-minus 3 days and counting...

Hack said:
LOL! Well, that wasn't the glowing endorsement I was looking for, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Hack

Future 5100S owner, t-minus 3 days and counting...

MY modded 372 in my favorite saw of the bunch, so that should say wonders that I used a little 50cc saw more than my baby..... And besides, small is relative. 16" bar on the 5100 that was buried most of the time. Not exactly small, especially in hardwoods....

lol. Sorry, didn't take any pics running the 5100 this weekend. When I make it back down there, I will just for you. Maybe even a vid. lol

-Steve

Latest posts

Back