Couple Homemade Porta-wraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE=oldirty;

if you are going to use the small one wouldnt your figure 8 work just as well? that was a theoretical question i guess.

Do you think you could use the little port a wrap to lower yourself? Seems ok to me.
I don't think you can get the holding power with an 8 than you can with a porto wrap.

We finally had a good winter for snowmobiling this year. The last 10 or so haven't been much to speak of. I will try to get a pic of the blaster soon, if I remember to take the camera to work.

My full time job is a welder/fabricator/engineer/foreman. My family and another have built a fabrication business from the ground up. I have been welding a lot since I was 16 or so. I have built a lot of different things out of steel and aluminum. I learned everything on the job.

My education is in Electrical Power Distribution.

My favorite work is tree work. I have done that my whole life.

I like to do everything I can myself, keeps it interesting . Most jobs have things in common with other jobs. A lot of skills cross over. When I want a piece of equipment I first see if it is cost effective to build, most of the time it is. Then I plan the job, attack and complete. Save money and learn at the same time. I have a lot more pics of stuff the put on here, just waiting for the right time. You are right though, it all takes tools. :cheers:

You are right about seeing if it is cost effective but for some without a fab shop, like me ,I shell out the buck twenty five. You have to add the years spent building up your shop into each job you do, but now, after doing that, you can do things right for a nickle. Nice job and for some reason they do look smaller in the picture than mine. I don't weld that nice, I can, but I don't,usually.
This has got me very tempted to take some pictures of some basic stuff i built and am buliding. One thing I am afraid of: I'll go camera happy on the job or something and get killed.

Dan, that is the problem with taking the camera to the job. You want to have pictures when it's all done, but don't want to take the time to do it during the job. I have found that you just have to suck it up and take them cause you know you will want them later.

I married into this digital camera and really like it. Anyone can talk, but pics say it all. I wish I would have had pics of some jobs we did in the past, I will just have to take what I can for now to make up for it. Good motivation. The forum is cool, but I really take them so my kids can brag when I'm dead.

I use a small port-a-wrap to control speedline lowering if needed. Sometimes to lower limbs as in JPS' case (new groundies). I perfer the small port-a-wrap over the figure 8. With the wrap you can easily add more friction if needed.

oldirty; if you are going to use the small one wouldnt your figure 8 work just as well? that was a theoretical question i guess. Do you think you could use the little port a wrap to lower yourself? Seems ok to me. I don't think you can get the holding power with an 8 than you can with a porto wrap.[/QUOTE said:
The figure 8 is a pain for lowering limbs, because you have to unhook and rehook your caribeener every time. A port-o-wrap is fast and easy to put the rope in and to take out, and yes it is easy to add friction.
I think the fast and easy to take the rope out feature is why it is not used for lowering people.

I did like wise with building my own portawrap/hobbs device looking thing. What I would reccommend though is to go out on a job that you're not going to really need to rig stuff down adn do it anyways and test it out and put it through the paces so you know exactly what it will take as far as abuse.

I did like wise with building my own portawrap/hobbs device looking thing. What I would reccommend though is to go out on a job that you're not going to really need to rig stuff down adn do it anyways and test it out and put it through the paces so you know exactly what it will take as far as abuse.

Thanks Roehler, I am going to get on that this weakend if the blizzard we got going on quits.

The figure 8 is a pain for lowering limbs, because you have to unhook and rehook your caribeener every time. A port-o-wrap is fast and easy to put the rope in and to take out, and yes it is easy to add friction.
I think the fast and easy to take the rope out feature is why it is not used for lowering people.

Awww, once its loaded it is not going anywhere, heavy to take in the tree but I usually get to the point I while lower limbs while the guys down there are trying to cope. Figure 8 is OK for what I will lower myself.
There is the common school of thought that you should never climb on your rigging stuff. Well, if my rigging equipment won't hold my scrawney heiny then I am sure not to use it to hold serious weight. That is: MY rigging stuff.

Homemade Porta-wraps

Inspired by Nailsbeats , this is my version before welding (Wrap A Rope).

WrapARore001-2.jpg

What are the dimensions for the Homemade Porta-wraps Nailsbeats ?, a 1:1 = to Porta-wrap?

B

Hey nice job! Looks great so far.

For the dimensions, just match a factory one or do whatever looks good to you. I guessed at mine since I had no previous experience with them and have come to think that it isn't all that critical. It's a simple device.

I have used mine quite a bit now with no complaints, no bending, no paint problems, I wouldn't change anything. If you want my exact dimensions just give a shout back, I'll be around.

Hey nice job! Looks great so far.

For the dimensions, just match a factory one or do whatever looks good to you. I guessed at mine since I had no previous experience with them and have come to think that it isn't all that critical. It's a simple device.

I have used mine quite a bit now with no complaints, no bending, no paint problems, I wouldn't change anything. If you want my exact dimensions just give a shout back, I'll be around.

What do you think the maximum weight you subjected you porta wrap to is? Its nice to have 2:)

Back