Couple of loads today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well my buddy called this am and said he had his crew there and ready to cut some trees.
Of course I grabbed the truck and trailer, touched up the saw and headed. It was 4* and windy all day but we did well.
The first tree I cut was a big cherry and then a nice hickory then an ash and some maples. I only made two trips with the trailer loaded, on the third load the starter in my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 HD with the 5.7 Hemi crapped out!
There is probably another 3-4 loads all cut with another 3-4 loads still standing.
I did take some pics but left the camera in my truck. My wife had to come and rescue me. LOL
I called around an the only starter I could find is at my dealers and it's cheaper than anyplace else quoted me and they were all 3-4 days out. They are going to hold it for me until I can take the old one out tomorrow and trade it in.
I should have pics tomorrow night.
Stay warm,
dave

Good start to the day, bad ending.
Not much worse than working on a vehicle when it's 0 outside.

Don't ya hate that? Buy a newer vehicle so you don't have trouble, like starters going out, alternators, etc.... Got to burn your butt!

Sounds like you did better today than I did, for sure!

Ted

The big problem with Dodge Ram starters appears to be worn solenoid contacts. An easy replacement and cheaper too. If yours is a Denso starter make sure the replacement is a Denso. If not, have the Denso rebuilt or replace the solenoid contacts if that is the problem. Denso are HD starters and are a keeper IMO.

The big problem with Dodge Ram starters appears to be worn solenoid contacts. An easy replacement and cheaper too. If yours is a Denso starter make sure the replacement is a Denso. If not, have the Denso rebuilt or replace the solenoid contacts if that is the problem. Denso are HD starters and are a keeper IMO.

I did this on my Dodge CTD, of course I had to wait for the contacts but it was cheap and really quick to fix. I ordered the HD contacts but you could check for stock replacements at some alternator/starter rebuilders in your area.

Thanks for the advice but it's a done deal, new one went in first thing this morning. The sad part is I had to fire up my 20 year old jeep Grand Cherokee that has been sitting for two months and go take the old starter out, it was smoking yesterday so I assume it was cooked, wouldn't even try to crank, then off to the dealers to get the new one. Temp was about 3* this morning :) good times! Worst part is my brother lives about 2.5 miles from where the truck broke down and he has a lift and heat in his garage. Sigh...................
I can't wait to get back there, we have about 7 more large trees to take down. At this rate I should be working on 2016 wood :)

Anyway, back to the wood ...LOL
Yesterdays two loads,

After all the commotion this morning I decided to see if the splitter would start, it did so I dragged it up there to split up the big stuff, I'm gettin' old and didn't feel like lifting them :)
Here is today's haul,

this is only a partial load as the splitter ran out of gas and so did I ...LOL

And here is what's left for maybe Friday

Well as luck would have it I ran into the owner of the wood lot this morning at the local Stewarts shop. He told me he had his crew up there and they were getting ready to cut some more trees and burn some brush, I already had my trailer on and was headed there to split up the leftovers from yesterday. :) I cut a very large ash, a couple smaller ash and a decent size maple. He had one of his guys help me split the trailer full twice and then it was quitting time, 3:30. I was very happy to have the help and to get two more huge loads of already split wood in my trailer. We even cut some 12" stuff for one of the guys that works for him. Weather permitting, tomorrow I would like to finish splitting up what is cut.
On with the pics:

Thanks guys. Firewood is a lot of work! I spent a good part of the day just stacking the split stuff. I'm putting it on pallets so it can dry nicely.
I know one thing, working with firewood by yourself is a LOT of work. I still have 3-4 loads here I have to split yet, I don't mind that. My wife said she would help stack, haven't seen her out yet! LOL
I did split up a huge load yesterday, I can't remember if I took a pic or not. I will check in the morning, heading to a wake now.
dave

Latest posts

Back