Covering Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have the time during the summer and I know there’s a big rain coming I’ll throw my oiled canvas tarps on top but they don’t cover the sides. But most of the time it’s not covered.

In the winter they stay covered most all of the time but just the tops. I bring about a weeks worth of wood to my unfinished basement.

Just about done making my first holz hausen i’m going to try that method and never covering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I top cover only the wood I am planning to burn through the season. A little moisture on the ends dries out quickly.

I top cover only the wood I am planning to burn through the season. A little moisture on the ends dries out quickly.

Especially in a popcorn dry basement that has a dehumidifier going. [emoji41]

I would think a green house with adequate fans would probably dry wood pretty well. It should act like a kiln, as long as you can suck the moisture out. My buddy just had a 8x10?? green house with just vents, no fans. I am compareing this type of green house to covering a stack all the way down the sides.

My wood is left outside in piles until its split and then it usuually sets in a big pile until I get a chance to stack. I stack my wood under a metal carport with the side and ends left open. Usually My carport has 2 years worth of wood stacked in it. This year I am behind bad. I have about half a winters worth of really dry whiteoak stacked under the shed. I have a bunch of odd stuff that has been cut for two winters that isnt split and almost to the point of rot. Today I skidded out some whiteoak and cherry that had been laying on the ground for about a year. Even when split it will take at least a year to season properly. I have about a cord of a large redoak that was lighting struck and died. The bark was slipping while standing and once split, it should dry pretty quick. I keep a stack of the redoak inside by the stove to hurry up the drying while I burn the dry white oak and should be able to ake it thru the winter.

Especially in a popcorn dry basement that has a dehumidifier going. [emoji41]

I keep about a months worth at a time in my garage. Even with the top cover keeping most of the snow off it does make a difference after being indoors for a week or better. The garage is heated but I only keep it just above freezing

Well, my 2-cents here is that I cover my Pine so it doesn't get wet. When you try burning wet wood on the beach it just smokes. I dry my split and stacked firewood through the summer and cover it for the winter. We get 30-plus inches of rain and lots of horizontal rain. therefore I cover my dry wood to keep the rain OFF of it.
I wrap the sides leaving about 12-inches from the ground to let air circulate and then screw the tarp to the Chord-wood stack with my cordless Makita drill and use fender washers to firmly keep the poly tarp from being blown away by the fierce winds. I lay a ridge board on the top of the stack to prevent water puddling too.
My wife does Not enjoy fighting wet wood, and the wet smoke soots up the chimney.

Well, my 2-cents here is that I cover my Pine so it doesn't get wet. When you try burning wet wood on the beach it just smokes. I dry my split and stacked firewood through the summer and cover it for the winter. We get 30-plus inches of rain and lots of horizontal rain. therefore I cover my dry wood to keep the rain OFF of it.
I wrap the sides leaving about 12-inches from the ground to let air circulate and then screw the tarp to the Chord-wood stack with my cordless Makita drill and use fender washers to firmly keep the poly tarp from being blown away by the fierce winds. I lay a ridge board on the top of the stack to prevent water puddling too.
My wife does Not enjoy fighting wet wood, and the wet smoke soots up the chimney.

If that was the weather i was in all the time I would DEFINITELY build something to put the wood under. Maybe a steel carport with sides half way down it.

Do it once and you are done.

For a while I would stack with the tops bark-side-up all year uncovered, but this past winter was very wet so I threw tarps and corrugated roofing over them for the duration. All summer they're uncovered, though this summer had been a wet, wet one so I'm curious as to how it affects the total dryness...

This autumn I'll probably cover them again, at least what is already split be it seasoned and dry or seasoning.

Latest posts

Back