Crabapple Dying??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny Lang

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg My raindrop crabapple was planted this April, and has done great all summer long (I'm in Oklahoma). This week, about 1/4 the leaves have started turning yellow/orange and are falling off. Is this normal? What can I do? Pictures attached. Thanks for the help!

Another thought... It was much cooler the last couple of weeks and I have still been watering quite a bit. Would overwatering cause this? If so, how long should I let up on the watering?

Jenny,
Can you post a pic of the very bottom of the tree and surrounding soil?
Yes it is time to reduce watering. You want the soil to dry some between waterings. Check by sticking your finger deeply into the dirt a little ways in from the edge of the hole you put it in.
Good news is it doesn't look like a disease. Just nutrients/water probably not fatal.

I will get one in the morning! How far into the soil should I go to check water? I also have a Chinese pistache in the front yard and several leaves have started to turn black around the edges. Would that also be overwatering? I'll take a pic of that as well in the morning.

At least past the mulch and to the 2nd knuckle. Or use a pencil.
Rule of thumb is: water deeply rather than often.
Also the branches coming straight out from the trunk (@ 90°) are temporary and should be clipped back incrementally to encourage growth higher.

Here is the bottom of the tree. I think it's too wet. Also, here is the Chinese Pistache... You can see the black around the edges of the leaves. Would that be overwatering as well?image.jpeg image.jpeg

Actually neither tree looks bad.
The pistache looks like it got dry. Maybe a hot wind dehydrated it. Not badly though. Check the moisture the same way.
Looks like the crab is in a little low. When you dug the pit did you cut smooth sides? You want to rough up the sides and bottom before you plant, to allow for drainage. Otherwise it's like you are putting it in a clay pot with no way for water to seep out.

Would you recommend taking the crabapple back up for adjustment? I'm not 100% sure if we roughed up the sides when we planted it. The pistache has gotten a ton of water... It's definitely not dry, but it has been windy. Both look decent though?? While I'm at it... Can I post a couple pictures of my maples? Both were planted last August and one hasn't looked great since it was planted. The other looks good, but also has some black on the leaves.

I'd wait until it goes dormant, but yes I think it would benefit. Check out an online planting guide to refresh before you do.
The lower branches all seem to be the problem and they are not going to stay. The crown looks full.
  • If you have a yard full of baby trees I suggest you contact a certified arborist in your area.
Have them prune for proper habit. It will be relatively cheap and will save you thousands later. Not to mention beneficial to the health of the trees. A little cut now goes a long way.
They should also be familiar with issues particular to your area.

I don't mind peeking at your maples. It warms my heart to see your concern for your tree s. I'm sure they are in good hands.

Thanks! I'll check that out... Just google one for my area? Here are the two maples... The full one looks great but I think it may have a disease in one of the branches? And the second one hasn't looked well since last August when it was planted. Think that one is a lost cause?image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Not all arborists are the same. Certification shows that an arborist has began the scientific study of trees and has a basic threshold of knowledge. Some arborists specialize in removals while others specialize in plant health care. Where in Oklahoma are you? I am out of Shawnee and may be able to recommend someone in your area.

Latest posts

Back