Cracked tree--lost cause?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet pics; gorgeous tree--where is it?

Istanbul, Turkey

Yes, nice tree. I first saw it from the good side and was shocked to see the 15' hollow section. Although the wife couldn't really understand why, I had to snap a few photo's. :camera:

187288d1308112029-sspx0022-jpg

187287d1308112008-sspx0019-jpg

187286d1308111990-sspx0017-jpg

your frankentree pictures

Looking at the pictures I don't think I'd of been to concerned with the cracks, but sence you've already placed and drilled you braces, I would do as someone else suggested, get your self some smaller washers, then trace around them and then with a sharp chisel or knife remove the bark tell you see the cambium, then put it all back together. Cut off any excess from the braces with a hacksaw. You should be good to go. Beastmaster

The tree you described sounds like a reasonably small tree; about what we would privately call "a twig" among the tree crew. Trees that are rather young grow quicker than when mature, and the % gain in a few years is probably equal to doubling the mass of the tree.

In about 10 years, you won't be able to find the injury. That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

Cracked tree

I also have an issue with my cracked tree, it is by no means this large of a tree. Its in its third year now and is about 3" diameter at the base. I has multiple cracks on both sides of the tree, about two feet long, up the trunk and maybe a third of the way through the tree. Dont know if its from the wind, we live in Colorado, but I shure would love to save it, it was doing so well in till the cracks.

Dont have pictures as of now but can post later.

Help!

Dion

As before: Pics please!

There are lots of ways to get cracks in a tree. You might not think so, but an experienced arborist is very likely to be able to tell you why it cracked and how to repair the damage, providing you give us good enough pictures.

The only way to describe the crack adequately for our evaluation would be if you already knew how to evaluate the damage.

Latest posts

Back