Craftsman 2.3 PS/VL, model 358.350880: request assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 138447

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I acquired this little number through my fiancee and have just now gotten around to it (she know's I'm a fan of chainsaws and tinkering). The first thing I did was take off all the big pieces to see how this thing works. The fuel line was shot (big surprise) so I just bought new line and routed it properly. I disassembled the fuel tank because there was crap stuck on the backside I couldn't reach with a dental pick. I soaked, cleaned, and rebuilt the carburetor.

I've looked on acresinteret.com for info on the saw but came up pretty dry under the Craftsman section.

My questions:

1. I've seen various answers but haven't come across a clear one on AS but is this the same as a Poulan Micro XXV? If so, cool, I know there's plenty of parts from what most folks say.
  2. Do I need a new gasket for the fuel tank or mcan I get way with some RTV sealant?
  3. Where do I get a new gasket between the powerhead and carburetor cover?
  4. How about picking up a new foam filter? Or is there a better solution to the the foam?
  5. I've seen some talk about switching sprockets and chains to a 3/8". This may be incorrect as I was sleepy when I read it but I think I'm along the right lines.
  6. If there's a better way to search this information other than 'Craftsman,' I'll start there.
I'm kind of inept on some of these issues. I've been tinkering with small engines for awhile and have a very basic understanding.

Some pictures to assist: https://goo.gl/photos/hipJPRkoBuG1VyCs7

-Rob

I have several new sprokets for that saw in 1/4 and 3/8 low pro. Let me know if you want one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Pics show error. Here is the operator manual: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/494048/Craftsman-358-350870.html
It looks more like a Poulan S25D. Which is really close to a Micro XXV.
I'd just cut a 1/2" to 3/4" hunk of foam for filter.
I don't recall a gasket for carb cover (square plastic with choke). Unless you mean a carb gasket - between carb and intake. You can cut one out of gasket paper or most any one will do - provided impulse hole lines up. You have 2 bolt holes, big center hole, small impulse hole.

I don't recall a gasket for carb cover (square plastic with choke). Unless you mean a carb gasket - between carb and intake. You can cut one out of gasket paper or most any one will do - provided impulse hole lines up. You have 2 bolt holes, big center hole, small impulse hole.

I have the gasket between the carb and the intake. The gasket I'm speaking to went between the choke cover and housing. It almost looked like it was a cork material. It ripped off and was not salvageable. I think I'm going to slap on some RTV for the gas tank and go for it.

I did see this but the gasket between the carb cover and housing are unavailable which is why I'm trying to find out if this is a Poulan mimic; maybe I can rip the parts off another saw or find what I need on the Ebay. Though I should ask: is it necessary?

I dropped a little bit of 50:1 fuel in the carb to make sure it ran and it does!! So I tried this: drop the fuel line into a tank of fuel to see if it would stay running. It did not... The impulse hole is not blocked by debris or the intake gasket so I'm assuming that's not a problem. the fuel tank cap was not in so I suspect that there was no vacuum for fuel to be sucked into the fuel line. I also didn't set the air gap to .010" before I tried this test either so that may be a problem... I'll try again this afternoon.

I updated the link so the photos should be viewable now.

-Rob

Search ebay "Poulan S25"
Sometimes carb cleaning and rebuild doesn't fix it. Clear Tygon fuel line is good here - can see if carb is drawing fuel on the short prime run.
I adapted an aftermarket MS250 carb to run one of these. The impulse hole is set at 1:30 o'clock - plug it with JB Weld. Drill out brass plug at 12 o'clock that is the original impulse hole. Or an aftermarket MS180 has proper impulse hole but it's designed for 32cc saw. May be enough fuel - I dunno. Seems like I had to drill a new hole for throttle rod to link in the right place. And Idle/TAS screw was aimed upward - I got a shorter screw and tapered end... or cut off and taper current one. These MS 180 / MS 250 carbs AM cost ~$8 on ebay.

Back