036 carb/ intake boot air leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiotwithasaw

another row to hoe
Reaction score
Hey all, I picked up a fairly mint 036 with a burnt top end. Saved the cylinder and put a new piston, fuel line and impulse hose in. Also cut the base and set squish at .020 while I was at it, cause why not 😜 . Anyways after I got it back together it fired right up I did a vac test In a can. Hit the usual spots and no change but when I sprayed the base of the carb it dies pretty quick.

I have pulled the carb multiple times, and o what a pain cause this one has an intellicarb. Both the inner and outer rings are in place and the rubber appears to be proud of the outer ring so it looks like it should seal. I've even tried an 034 gasket and no change.

I guess the question is do I need to swap in a new boot or could the rear face of my carb be deformed in some way that it won't seal. Or has anyone run into this and found a solution I'm not seeing. Thanks guys.

It is the rubber boot that makes the seal to the carb so there must be something not right there, since I cannot see the part you need to check it closely for deformation, out of round or any cracks or bits missing, I really doubt the face of the carb is not flat enough to seal it. If you can turn a cylinder base you can easily check the carb for true flat.

When I'm looking at the boot head on it appears that impulse hole doesn't fully line up with the boot. I attempted turning the boot on the cylinder to get it more in line but the outer ring interferes some.

I did call my local dealer to order a boot and they are on backorder from stihl. Now I'm thinking aftermarket cause I'm wanting this project done at this point I've got others I want to move on to, like an echo 501p, And husky 572.

What has everyone's experience with either the dukes or wolf creek been on their aftermarket intake boots? They are about 2 dollars different buy which would be better, the dukes going by their ad Pic looks like the mold seam goes into the sealing surface and I'm not sure how that will be.

Sorry that I'm so long winded. 😔

Thanks to @GoBigBlue1984 he urged me to pressure and vac test it properly and I found a leaky flywheel seal. However now it is flooded and I can't see if it's still leaking at the carb base. So when it dries out I'll try it again. I suspect that I sucked too much oil into the bottom end during the vac test, combined with its probably tuned a little rich.

Ok update: I found a used ms360 boot in my pile-o-parts cleaned it inspected for rips and put it on aaaaannnnd nothing, still same problem, and when I used the paper 034 gasket it seems to have gotten worse. I did also find a used carb in unknown condition that I could swap on but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Thanks to @GoBigBlue1984 I found a leaky flywheel seal.

There are many different reasonable repair sequences possible.

If this was my saw, my next step would be to order an OEM gasket and seal kit, install both seals and...and, then P/V test without the carb boot installed.

I agree with Nutter...way past time for some pics.

Roy

The first boot in the post is the original

The second one thats in the saw was the oem used one I found, it's a little smaller than the original.

If you look at the back of the carb where it mates with the boot it's rough from factory, I don't know if this is causing any problems

I'm also starting to wonder if my leak isn't the throttle rod being wore and letting air around it. I found a used carb in my pile and swapped it out just to see, surprisingly it fired right up but it is still showing the same symptoms.

I haven't tried it in the wood so I don't know if this is affecting runnability. I may be chasing a wild goose with my tail in its mouth.🤷‍♂

I'm also starting to wonder if my leak isn't the throttle rod being wore and letting air around it. I found a used carb in my pile and swapped it out just to see, surprisingly it fired right up but it is still showing the same symptoms.

I haven't tried it in the wood so I don't know if this is affecting runnability. I may be chasing a wild goose with my tail in its mouth.🤷‍♂

Are you testing a saw with a known crank seal leak?

Roy

I somehow had a new oem seal and already swapped it in after I found the leak. But I'm still having an issue, or maybe it's not an issue, with the carb/boot area or the throttle rod. Maybe this is something that all of these saws do and I haven't been into enough of them to notice.

You mentioned a possible carb leak. Have you pressure tested the carb?

I, too, have an 036 which runs tip-top. It's not all 036s...something is wrong with your saw.

Roy

Latest posts

Back