036 carb/ intake boot air leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not use the paper gasket. The gasket was only used with the Tilloston carburetor. The gasket will block the impulse port
on the Walbro carburetor. Make sure the impulse hose is connected. They have been know to come off. The face of the intake boot looks compromised. I would change it out with an OEM. If the saw had previously had a scored piston and cylinder I would stop and change out the crankshaft seals. Again I would only use OEM crankshaft seals. There is a 50/50 chance on aftermarket quality and it’s not worth the hassle! Seal presses are readily available and definitely worth the investment especially when installing the flywheel side seal. The flywheel side press counter sinks the seal to proper specifications. The Stihl 036 is a great saw!

Magic string. I like that!
And if you have used it, you understand.

Acrylic yarn works great. Soft and won't cut into the boot and flattens out when you pull in through the tank housing. My girlfriend knits so I have a free supply....

jug and string trick.jpg

Filed down tooth brush handles work good for helping to pry the boot through.

DSC_0018.JPG

Also handy for working rings into a cylinder and not mucking up the piston.

And by chance, that's also a 036.

DSC_0014a.JPG

I'm not sure I've ever heard of the magic string method for stihl intake boots but it looks like it would work. Honestly this design is why I don't tend to work on too many stihls, great saws lots of power but a PITA to work on.

Also I ordered a new west boot from wolf creek saw shop and as expected it didn't really seal either, as soon as i saw that the mold line went right though the sealing surface I had major doubts. I need to just break down and order an oem boot tho I'm not sure that's the solution.

I wish i could machine a metal ring that I could remove the studs from the plastic install the ring on the back side of the divider wall and reinstall the studs through the ring to support the plastic. Ine thing thsy would have to be worked around tho is the impulse elbow on thw back side. I'm not sure I'm describing this well enough but I hope you get the idea.

I do like the idea of a block off plate I know stihl makes one and I have one for the strato saws but not the older ones for some reason, maybe I should order one.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of the magic string method for stihl intake boots but it looks like it would work. Honestly this design is why I don't tend to work on too many stihls, great saws lots of power but a PITA to work on.

Also I ordered a new west boot from wolf creek saw shop and as expected it didn't really seal either, as soon as i saw that the mold line went right though the sealing surface I had major doubts. I need to just break down and order an oem boot tho I'm not sure that's the solution.

I wish i could machine a metal ring that I could remove the studs from the plastic install the ring on the back side of the divider wall and reinstall the studs through the ring to support the plastic. Ine thing thsy would have to be worked around tho is the impulse elbow on thw back side. I'm not sure I'm describing this well enough but I hope you get the idea.
Never had a new OEM boot leak at the spot. The issue is age of the original boot. Get the OEM.
Like we say, order two aftermarket parts. You MIGHT get a good one.

Update, I ordered this blockoff and was able to vac test it and it will hold pressure but vaccum is kinda weird. Vac will bleed off and I can watch oil/brake clean be sucked in, but it seems like once the liquid gets between the boot and block it seals up. Where i was able to notice it was around the impulse but I don't know if that's the only place.

I ordered some new oem boots off ebay because my dealer told me they were NLA from stihl, can anyone else confirm that.20240314_202004.jpg

Update, I ordered this blockoff and was able to vac test it and it will hold pressure but vaccum is kinda weird. Vac will bleed off and I can watch oil/brake clean be sucked in, but it seems like once the liquid gets between the boot and block it seals up. Where i was able to notice it was around the impulse but I don't know if that's the only place.

I ordered some new oem boots off ebay because my dealer told me they were NLA from stihl, can anyone else confirm that.View attachment 1162137
That part being no longer available sounds like we don't want you to repair that tool. The second half of that sentence is we can sell you a new one.

Have you checked the impulse line port to see if it's clogged?

I ordered some new oem boots off ebay because my dealer told me they were NLA from stihl, can anyone else confirm that.View attachment 1162137
Rubber or wood blocks do the same thing.

Boot not available. Guess I need to check that out. Was last I knew. We do seem to be losing part quite a bit lately. Stihl isn't the only one. Tried a part for a cutoff saw with Husqvarna. NLA

Latest posts

Back