craftsman 3.3 surging...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockbill

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i was just using the saw, and it started surging,,,, i didn't notice it before, but i haven't run it much either, as i just got it ,,,

i tried to adjust the carb, but it didn't respond, so i looked for air leaks,,, i found teh impulse line was cracked, so i replaced it... the saw started right up, but still surged, so i pulled teh fuel line out of teh tank, and found some holes in it when i stretched it out,,, i replaced teh fuel hose, and tried to tune it in a cut, but it still surges,,,

i pulled teh plug, after running it, and it was wet,,, so, i may have an ignition problem??

i haven't rebuilt the carb yet,,,

whats next, carb or ignition? i could vacuum test it, but i don't think it would surge, would it?
thanks for any help....

I would do a vacuum test and if there is another leak, find and fix it. I would then put a kit in carb. Does the spark look good? Hope you get it figured out. :msp_thumbup:

I would do a vacuum test and if there is another leak, find and fix it. I would then put a kit in carb. Does the spark look good? Hope you get it figured out. :msp_thumbup:

thanks for the reply,,, i can do a vac test, and rebuild the carb...spark is good cranking, may be breaking down at speed tho (wet plug)??
seems like there's more than one problem here,,,
i like these challenging repairs....its gratifying to sort them out...

craftsman 3.3 update

i vacuum tested the saw this afternoon, and it held well,,, i'm going to rebuild the carb next, if i have a kit for it,,, it has a BMP8Y ngk plug in it,, i'm not sure thats right,,,,my p3300 uses a champ cj4....
any other thoughts??

+1 on the carb kit. Sounds like it's gunked up if it's not taking a tune. Probably starved by blockage.

Back