Craftsman 3.7 / 18 saw resurection. model 917353762

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After being stored for several years this will be the oldest saw I've saved so far. I already see that parts availability will be an issue. But it's in great shape. Low hours. Piston and cylinder walls are excellent, great compression etc. And it's all there and runs strong other than WOT fuel starvation which I've already fixed via Tillotson HS carb rebuild kit (hard metering diaphragm).

1st chore is repairing fuel leaking between case halves which I'm in the process of doing now. In doing so I want to replace both crank seals Craftsman part# 8998H. I believe the Roper part# is the same? I need help locating these seals?
Also, I have the IPL but I'd like to get a service manual if I can find it. I've posted in the "Beg for Manuals" thread with no results so far.
Thanks for any help on this project!
Mike

I think you can go online to Sears and still download a manual. I'm not 100% positive though, it's been a while.

Upon further thought, that saw should have plastic tanks inside of the body. If you have a fuel leak, then it is either a split tank or leaking around where the fuel line enters the tank. The body should come apart as an upper and lower half with the engine in between. Post pics of the saw please.

Last edited:
IIRC, Chicago Rawhide/SKF 6119 will get you the seals you need at your local bearing house or auto parts store.

Aaron,

253747 national is the number I have noted for the seals. May be the same seal. I didn't try to cross it.

Aaron,

253747 national is the number I have noted for the seals. May be the same seal. I didn't try to cross it.

Those two do cross. Thanks for confirming it Kris. Same as Poulan 530019097 as used on the 3400-4000 series (both sides), and same as what's used on both sides of a Homelite XL-700/800/900 series saw. Several other saws use that seal on at least one side too.

if you do find a shop manual i'd like to have a copy. mine's a 917.353770 but they appear to be similar where it matters. good luck on your rebuild. i've got two. one's a runner, the other's been painted and awaiting reassembly. i seem to have lost my round tuit somewhere.

I think you can go online to Sears and still download a manual. I'm not 100% positive though, it's been a while.

Upon further thought, that saw should have plastic tanks inside of the body. If you have a fuel leak, then it is either a split tank or leaking around where the fuel line enters the tank. The body should come apart as an upper and lower half with the engine in between. Post pics of the saw please.

No service manual available from Sears online that I can find.
Model 917353762 is different than most other Craftsman 3.7 saws that I've found info for. For instance here's a Craftsman 3.7 model 917353770
My camera crapped out on me so I'll get pictures next week when I borrow my friends camera.

Eccentric and Wagnerwerks said:

Thanks guys. These both show the same specs except for the SKF 6119 shows Width: 0.188 in. and the National 253747 shows Width: 0.125 in. Will either work for me and if not which should I order?

jerrycmorrow said:
if you do find a shop manual i'd like to have a copy. mine's a 917.353770 but they appear to be similar where it matters. good luck on your rebuild. i've got two. one's a runner, the other's been painted and awaiting reassembly. i seem to have lost my round tuit somewhere.

If I ever find a service manual I'll get you a copy sent. I've got an extra 'round tuit' you can borrow if you like. :D

I borrowed a camera yesterday but forgot to take it with me today to the saw shop where I work, which is where the saw and my tools are. But I brought the tank case halves home so I could show how the model 917353762 differs from other 3.7 models. I'm not sure by looking at the 917353762 IPL on the Craftsman website but It looks like these halves are sold as 1 assembly - part #642A104. These 2 halves were tough to get separated even after all screws were out because of the bonding agent (whatever that was). I've seen a post where they used black RTV silicone to go back together with these but I think I'd feel better using JB Weld. Any thoughts/ideas/advise on this?

I'll get some more pics next week at work. :msp_smile:

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

Last edited:
3M weatherstrip adheasive and gasket sealer would work for that. Available at your auto body paint store.

Yep, I've used 3M yellow for a bunch of sealing task over the years and it's great, and I always hated to scrape it off the surface on a repair because it's really tuffff!!! But is it gasoline resistant? I don't think I've ever used it for fuel system repair so I don't know?
Thanks for the help!
Mike

Yep, I've used 3M yellow for a bunch of sealing task over the years and it's great, and I always hated to scrape it off the surface on a repair because it's really tuffff!!! But is it gasoline resistant? I don't think I've ever used it for fuel system repair so I don't know?
Thanks for the help!
Mike

Yes and you will not want to take it apart again.

After being stored for several years this will be the oldest saw I've saved so far. I already see that parts availability will be an issue. But it's in great shape. Low hours. Piston and cylinder walls are excellent, great compression etc. And it's all there and runs strong other than WOT fuel starvation which I've already fixed via Tillotson HS carb rebuild kit (hard metering diaphragm).

1st chore is repairing fuel leaking between case halves which I'm in the process of doing now. In doing so I want to replace both crank seals Craftsman part# 8998H. I believe the Roper part# is the same? I need help locating these seals?
Also, I have the IPL but I'd like to get a service manual if I can find it. I've posted in the "Beg for Manuals" thread with no results so far.
Thanks for any help on this project!
Mike

I have an old 917.353762 that I bought new. I loaned it out once and it came back not running and with a bent chain bar. I am going to try to resurrect it when I find my round tuit also. I'm going to need a clutch, as mine is in pieces, and a Tillotson carburetor gasket set, if anyone knows what I might replace the clutch20190925_080450.jpg with. The reason it wasn't running was because my fuel lines were hardened and cracked. I'll try to get back into it in the near future, not sure exactly when. I have the original manual of 32 pages. I'm new on this site, how is the best way to upload the manual, with a scan or with a cell phone picture?

I have an old 917.353762 that I bought new. I loaned it out once and it came back not running and with a bent chain bar. I am going to try to resurrect it when I find my round tuit also. I'm going to need a clutch, as mine is in pieces, and a Tillotson carburetor gasket set, if anyone knows what I might replace the clutchView attachment 761655 with. The reason it wasn't running was because my fuel lines were hardened and cracked. I'll try to get back into it in the near future, not sure exactly when. I have the original manual of 32 pages. I'm new on this site, how is the best way to upload the manual, with a scan or with a cell phone picture?
I also have one of this model, trying to clean up and get it going now. Do you think you could share the manual with me? However is easiest would be fine, I just have found so little info to help me figure the old thing out. Would love to get her running again!

Latest posts

Back