Craftsman 3.7 / poulan 3700 value and specs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Thank you very much. I saw the outlets... I love to fabricate/weld so the outlet is already brewing in my brain, but the inner parts I was a bit fuzzy about. Thanks again!

I'm liking the cut in side deflectors even more now days. Quick, easy, effective and attractive. Here is one on a Craftsman just like the OP picked up.

attachment.php

I agree with mark Bob and the rest. My 3.7 runs right along with my 2 4000s. Mine has a 20" bar, 4000 intake and custom MM muffler. Its also the chrome bore thin ring saw. I just recently had it in some big maple cutting wood deeper than the bar and it just dug straight down. Now for comparison, my bIL brought along his 2 season old husky 460 with an 18" bar. Both saws 61ccs, the husky turns faster, but in big wood, my 3.7 had faster cuts, giving up 2" bar length. Not saying the 460 is a bad saw, I like Huskys and have a few myself. My 3.7 also started on 1 or 2 pulls while his took at least 10 and needed full choke, something not right there. Those saws are bringing North of $130 no problem lately. You got a good deal on a great saw.
157.jpg

SummerFall2010218-2.jpg

Best saw series ever built IMHO and easiest to work on,paid 250.00 for a 3400 in mid 80's and cut 30-40 cords a year for 12yrs. with it,parked it in 97 due to parts availabilty,resurected it this spring found parts via internet,recently parked it again due to bad crank seals,probably use it for parts as CAD sat in,recently paid 140.00 for a low hours near new 3400,and paid 60.00 for a good running low hours Crapsman 3.7 put a 24" bar on it and it rips,BEWARE OF CAD,it may already be too late as you metioned your mechanical skills,chainsaws are a cheap hobby when compared to Trucks or Motorcycles though.I now own 3-3400's 1 a bowsaw ,1-3.7 ,1 husky 460 rancher ,1 stihl031 bowsaw and 2 3314 woodsharks 1 I got free (crank snapped off at clutch) put a crank from a low compression saw in 2weeks ago (my first clamshell) I may never catch up with Guido but seems i have CAD just as bad

Best saw series ever built IMHO and easiest to work on,paid 250.00 for a 3400 in mid 80's and cut 30-40 cords a year for 12yrs. with it,parked it in 97 due to parts availabilty,resurected it this spring found parts via internet,recently parked it again due to bad crank seals,probably use it for parts as CAD sat in,recently paid 140.00 for a low hours near new 3400,and paid 60.00 for a good running low hours Crapsman 3.7 put a 24" bar on it and it rips,BEWARE OF CAD,it may already be too late as you metioned your mechanical skills,chainsaws are a cheap hobby when compared to Trucks or Motorcycles though.I now own 3-3400's 1 a bowsaw ,1-3.7 ,1 husky 460 rancher ,1 stihl031 bowsaw and 2 3314 woodsharks 1 I got free (crank snapped off at clutch) put a crank from a low compression saw in 2weeks ago (my first clamshell) I may never catch up with Guido but seems i have CAD just as bad

Sounds like you have a nice collection starting but I am here to throw a wrench in your works..... Why park that 3400 when a complete gasket/seal kit can be had for around 10 bucks? Might as well put the ole girl back to work.

Sounds like you have a nice collection starting but I am here to throw a wrench in your works..... Why park that 3400 when a complete gasket/seal kit can be had for around 10 bucks? Might as well put the ole girl back to work.

Your probably right,just a matter of time,she was my first 3400 and my first bowsaw,but fixin to be 7 days a week until April so she'll rest this winter,come spring first project is chainsaw shed,with an AC unit lol,the're taking up too much room in bikeshed and by spring hope to own a 100 cc saw with at least a 36" bar.

With those mufflers I've done em both ways, welded the MM style, and most just because of ease, I just cut a slit. It's really easy, I just put the muffler body on a piece of steel and use a very sharp chisel to cut the slit, then a few different pliers to open the hole. It works great.

As far as what you paid, I got my Grey Craftsman 3.7 for $60 but it didn't run, needed fuel lines, filter, A/F, and a carb kit, plus I put an LGX chain in place of the safety chain. Then sold the saw for $125. The saw was very mint I will say. I also had a Poulan 3800 that I fixed up and put on a 24" Oregon B/C that I sold for $225:msp_biggrin:. As was said this series of saw is not really selling below $100 anymore for any model. I see a lot of non running 3400s on the bay going around $75-100. Also as was said, for some reason the Poulan branded saws sell much higher then their Craftsman counterparts.

I have a 3700, but am looking for a mint Red Craftsman 3.7/20, I just missed one the bay a few days ago.

I was watching that 3.7 too. I was watching a 3.3 craftsman that needed a carb kit and a few other items when i saw the one I bought. I figured by the time I got the smaller one going I'd have the same amount in it. Hopefully when it arives it's all the seller says it is:wink2: Here are some of the sellers pics...

Last edited:
You got a good deal!!!

ANY split mag cased, 61cc saw that runs, cuts and oils as it should is worth $150.00 as a user!
A Husky 455 is well over $300.00 and the Craftsman will still be putting wood in the stove long after the Husky has been recycled into pop cans!

Mike

You got a good deal!!!

ANY split mag cased, 61cc saw that runs, cuts and oils as it should is worth $150.00 as a user!
A Husky 455 is well over $300.00 and the Craftsman will still be putting wood in the stove long after the Husky has been recycled into pop cans!

Mike

I couldn't agree more

Latest posts

Back