Craftsman chainsaw fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so my fuel lines are setup correctly. The only thing that I did not check was to reverse the lines on the primer bulb and try it. I do not think that this is necessary though because gas is going into the carb. If the lines were reversed there would not be gas going in correct? Also, is it possible that the carb adjuster screws could be out of alignment? Thanks all.

That's what I keep telling my Craftsman 42 with an 18" bar--"Cut now or you are gone." Then it always starts immediately. The dang thing loves to run and cuts wood like a bandit. I decided to fool it one day and installed a semi-chisel chain that wasn't low profile. It loved that too, as if I were challenging it. The bigger cutters taking out larger bites seemed to mean nothing to it.

Forgive, me Forum, for I do not list this saw in my signature and have no idea why.

I'm somewhat attached to my 42cc 18" craftsman too. It's basic, not a ton of power, lots of vibration... but it's perfect for strapping onto the 4 wheeler to check on fences. It starts easy and cuts anything that may be laying over the fence. In the 4 or 5 years I've had the saw, only a couple trees were too big for it to take on with a little patience. BTW, I got mine in perfect "factory refurbished" condition (saw looked new) for free when I bought a Husky 41 for $50. The Husky had the chain on backward (guy said it just didn't cut very well) and the Craftsman never did run since he got the saw off the shelf (bought it new as a discount priced 'factory refurb'). The craftsman had the fuel lines mixed up... FROM THE REFURB FACTORY/SHOP!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Check an IPL to make sure all lines are routed properly.

Most likely the thing is just clogged up. Pull the carb off and spray it out with a crapload of carb cleaner. If you see dirty crap coming out then keep spraying until you can get it clean. Install and try again.

Still now working properly then you can get a rebuild kit for about $10 or a new carb runs about $20-25. There are youtube videos that show you how to rebuild a carb.

Go to the carb manufacturers website for details on how to tune it. Some of the best advice I've gotten.

I'm somewhat attached to my 42cc 18" craftsman too. It's basic, not a ton of power, lots of vibration... but it's perfect for strapping onto the 4 wheeler to check on fences. It starts easy and cuts anything that may be laying over the fence. In the 4 or 5 years I've had the saw, only a couple trees were too big for it to take on with a little patience. BTW, I got mine in perfect "factory refurbished" condition (saw looked new) for free when I bought a Husky 41 for $50. The Husky had the chain on backward (guy said it just didn't cut very well) and the Craftsman never did run since he got the saw off the shelf (bought it new as a discount priced 'factory refurb'). The craftsman had the fuel lines mixed up... FROM THE REFURB FACTORY/SHOP!
This all sounds too familiar. Mine showed up with a missing pull cord and a loose spark plug. The guy said, "If you can fix it, she's yours. It won't start." I replaced the plug and the pull cord, checked for a spark (it was there), pulled it three or for times and it roared to life. Saw runs perfectly.

I added my own common tension adjuster so I can run about any common bar with it rather than be locked into a craftsman.

Okay, so my fuel lines are setup correctly. The only thing that I did not check was to reverse the lines on the primer bulb and try it. I do not think that this is necessary though because gas is going into the carb. If the lines were reversed there would not be gas going in correct? Also, is it possible that the carb adjuster screws could be out of alignment? Thanks all.

Possible. Turn both screws 2 turns out from lightly seated and see if it helps. You should have a small and a large line at the primer bulb. The large line is the return to the tank.

Last edited:
Palmer Knows His Stuff

Possible. Turn both screws 2 turns out from lightly seated and see if it helps. You should have a small and a large line at the primer bulb. The large line is the return to the tank.
Excellent advice, as usual.

I kind of wish primer bulbs were never invented. In eight or nine years they start to fall apart on some equipment although some last for 30 years. One never knows.

Excellent advice, as usual.

I kind of wish primer bulbs were never invented. In eight or nine years they start to fall apart on some equipment although some last for 30 years. One never knows.

I just replaced one today on an Echo weedeater...couldn't figure a way to eliminate this one other than to change carbs. Easy to do away with them on Poulan chainsaws though.

Back