Craftsman chainsaw w/ 18 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My uncle passed away back in April, we were pretty close. He was retired Navy and the kind of guy who'd buy stuff, stick it in his garage and never use it. Years ago he gave me the old homelite xl in my profile pic. He bought in 1983, used it once and never picked it up again. That saw got me started on my love for chainsaws..Anyway, he must have thought he needed another chainsaw at some point, maybe to do clean up after hurricanes or something and bought this..I was helping my aunt clean their garage and found it sitting there, brand spanking new.

I was bummed because the case was partially open. When I picked it up the saw fell on the ground and scuffed up the cover plate, but otherwise it's mint. I know it's never been run before..The case is great, it fit my small stihl perfectly, but I'm not going to use it for that..Not sure what my plans are for it..I don't really need another chainsaw, or at least not this one and while it has some sentimental value, I'm sure someone else could probably put it to use..

Don't know a thing about these saws, are they any good and how much do you all think it might be worth?

Thanks.

1644533894805.png

1644534181565.png

1644581422625.png

I had that exact same saw. I got it non running. It hadn't been run much at all. There was no carbon build up on the piston crown. It had been sitting for a while because the fuel lines were brittle. I cleaned the carb and put fuel lines in it and the little saw ran great. It has no AV so it was hard on the hands. I sold it for $70.

I had that exact same saw. I got it non running. It hadn't been run much at all. There was no carbon build up on the piston crown. It had been sitting for a while because the fuel lines were brittle. I cleaned the carb and put fuel lines in it and the little saw ran great. It has no AV so it was hard on the hands. I sold it for $70.
Maybe $90 shipped. Here's my 4218 equivalent and it runs very well.
1644536960392.jpegI start and run it once a year to be sure it's OK. It also has a clean case. Good luck.

Correct. At one time, Poulan made some fine saws. A few are still around, I have one in my signature list, the 4000. There are several others and they go back over 40 years. I listed the 4218 as a Poulan only because I did not want to add another line to the list.
I just got a Sears best Craftsman 3.3. it's either a poulan 3300 or poulan pro 335. It's 54cc magnesium crankcases, adjustable oiler. No chain brake. I hope to get it running in the next few weeks.

Open up the muffler and retune they will cut pretty good. I keep my Homelite 245 in my vehicle. You just never know when it could come in handy, plus no more room in the garage.
The muffler is really stupid on those little things. Two tiny little slits on the back of the muffler.

Open up the muffler and retune they will cut pretty good. I keep my Homelite 245 in my vehicle. You just never know when it could come in handy, plus no more room in the garage.
what does it take to "open up" the muffler..Are we just talking about gutting it and adjusting the carb?

Pull muffler and it should come apart. Open up holes on the baffle if you want. Either open up fins on back of the muffler or put some holes in front and retune. Will probably have to remove carb limiters and retune.

Pulled the muffler drilled out the baffle holes a bit and bent the ports out, so she should breath a little better..
Before..
1645134159428.png
After..
1645134183659.png
Before..
1645134205854.png
After..
1645134222989.png
Then I started thinking, this thing has been sitting for probably close to 10 years in my uncle's garage never had gas in it..I should probably check the primer and fuel line..good thing I did..every piece of line crumbled apart..
1645134290950.png
1645134310851.png

Here it sits..do you guys have any recommendations where I can source some line and a new primer?
Thanks.
1645134373069.png

Back