Craftsman saw....Poulan ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman saw Model 358.352162. It's a 36cc, 16" saw. I know it's made by Poulan, but I'd like to know what model Poulan is comparable? I'm trying to find a service manual for it, and think I might have better luck finding the comparable Poulan manual.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks Roanoker494. I've been digging around, and it looks like Poulan may have used the cubic inch figure in their model numbers...that might make this a model 22?? something. Somebody here posted that it might be a model 2250?

I bought this saw new back in '98 when I lived in the city.....served me well, but hasn't been used much. I recently went to cut up a fairly large tree(30" at stump) that had fallen on our property and it won't stay running. Most likely, it's because it sat for a looong period. I've ordered a carb kit and new fuel lines, and a filter too.

We have 2 acres now, and need to clean up a bunch of downed trees. I got frustrated with the craftsman saw, so I went and got a new 455 Rancher. I know the varied opinions on it, but for my homeowner use, I think it will serve me fine.

I'd like to get this Craftsman\Poulan 16" running again for limbing, etc...

Poulan has changed their numbering a few times over the years and there are also circumstances where different model numbers are actually the same saw.

Now that you mention it I have a Poulan 2150 that is 36cc and originally came with a 16" bar, though it is now running a 14" bar.
attachment.php

attachment.php

In my experience most of these saws can be fixed with new fuel lines, just makes sure you get the right configuration on them. The larger line from the primer is the return and the line enters the tank on the other side of the saw. The smaller line on the primer goes to the lower nipple on the carb. The upper carb nipple is for the fuel pickup and the line enters the tank right above the fuel cap, this is the line that gets the fuel filter. These saws use a smaller than normal fuel line and kits can be bought at Lowes for around $10, though I drilled the tank opening out so I could use regular 1/8" line on the last couple I have done.

Thanks for the help with the fuel line routing. If the lower half of that saw were grey....it would look like mine.

In my experience most of these saws can be fixed with new fuel lines, just makes sure you get the right configuration on them. The larger line from the primer is the return and the line enters the tank on the other side of the saw. The smaller line on the primer goes to the lower nipple on the carb. The upper carb nipple is for the fuel pickup and the line enters the tank right above the fuel cap, this is the line that gets the fuel filter. These saws use a smaller than normal fuel line and kits can be bought at Lowes for around $10, though I drilled the tank opening out so I could use regular 1/8" line on the last couple I have done.

---that's what I have done a couple times now, just drill them out so you can use generic line. I guess two sizes might make some sense at the factory so the assemblers don't screw up.

I get the original sized line (in Tygon) at the local mower & small engine shop. There's another shop nearby that has it too, just not Tygon.

Check the EPA sticker on it and see what the displacement actually is - it might be 42cc, regardless of what the is advertised. It's basically a WildThing. I like them.

Get some extra line. Cut the end of the line in a long taper and give the hole a squirt of silicone lube or similar. The best thing to grip the taper and pull it into the tank is an old surgical forceps, otherwise you have to try to get a needle nose in there.

I just worked on one of these for a friend. It was a mess under the top cover but I figured out the fuel line routing with help from a donnyboy 73 youtube vid. Search for it if you need help in that area.

Thanks!

Hey guys....thanks for all the help....much appreciated! :cheers:

Hope to get this saw up and running again very soon.

Well it's been awhile since I have had a chance to work on this saw. I ordered a carb kit, a filter, and new fuel line too. The diaphragm in the carb was really stiff, and the fuel lines were black and stiff too. Got it all replaced, and fired up the saw, spent a few minutes tuning it up. It's running just fine now...thanks for the help!

While the saw was out of commission, I still needed to do some cleanup around the yard, so I got myself a new Dolmar 421......very nice saw! I'll keep the Craftsman to loan out to neighbors if they need a saw.

Thanks again for the help!

Well it's been awhile since I have had a chance to work on this saw. I ordered a carb kit, a filter, and new fuel line too. The diaphragm in the carb was really stiff, and the fuel lines were black and stiff too. Got it all replaced, and fired up the saw, spent a few minutes tuning it up. It's running just fine now...thanks for the help!

While the saw was out of commission, I still needed to do some cleanup around the yard, so I got myself a new Dolmar 421......very nice saw! I'll keep the Craftsman to loan out to neighbors if they need a saw.

Thanks again for the help!

If you search the archives here, you'll find a wide variety of reasons to NEVER loan a chainsaw. Definitely not one that runs, and cuts. Unless you're feeling really masochistic, or keep release forms handy.

If you search the archives here, you'll find a wide variety of reasons to NEVER loan a chainsaw. Definitely not one that runs, and cuts. Unless you're feeling really masochistic, or keep release forms handy.

Man that's the truth. I don't lend saws. I WILL lend my saws with me running them (burning MY fuel) at times however. It's a package "all or nothing" deal that involves a good lunch/dinner and/or some cold beverages at the least.

Good advice....and most likely, the saw will end up on CL. I can always use the funds to buy a bigger saw!

Back