Craftsmen/Poulan saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeNCa

Reaction score
I have a model 358.356091 craftsmen saw, 3.7/20 I am trying to adjust the carb. so that it will run, made mortal mistake allowed a friend to borrow it hasn't run since, need help with adjustments, any ideas would be helpful and appreciated, Thanks Mike:chainsaw:

Hi Mike, the saw looks like a poulan 3700 judging by sears parts diagram.
Carb adjustment- initial adjustment of low and high speed mixture needles is 1 turn open from a lightly seated position.
Make final adjustment with engine running at operating temp.
Adjust L needle so engine will accelerate without hesitation.
Adjust high speed mixture needle to obtain best performance under cutting load. Do not operate saw with high speed mixture setting to lean (needle turned to far clockwise) as
engine damage could result from lack of lube and overheating. The H needle shouldn't be set less than 3/4 turn open from lightly seated position. Adjust idle speed screw so engine idles just below clutch engagement speed (chain doesn't turn).

I have a model 358.356091 craftsmen saw, 3.7/20 I am trying to adjust the carb. so that it will run, made mortal mistake allowed a friend to borrow it hasn't run since, need help with adjustments, any ideas would be helpful and appreciated, Thanks Mike:chainsaw:

You would be best off posting this in the chainsaw forum. That being said, remove the muffler and look at the inside of the cylinder and at the piston. I have a feeling you aren't going to see anything shiny and nice, but some scratches and scoring. I'm going to bet it isn't the carb.

Pull the muffler first, if things look good in the cylinder/piston area, then you will have to pull your carb and clean it out. You are probably either suffering from a bout of raw gas, or bad gas. That is the two most common things that happen with "loaners".

Friends don't borrow chainsaws from friends, unless they really know what they are doing. Unfortunately, most people are too dumb to realize that they don't know enough to know that they shouldn't be borrowing a saw. Because of that, the list of guys I would loan a saw to is very short.

Mark

Back