Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avalancher,

That is one for the books. That guy has some serious nerve. I'd be inclined to sabotage one of his trees and let the next stiff breeze blow it into his attic. Either that or set fire to the brush pile in his yard late one night. I wouldn't do it but I'd want to real bad.

Trust me, I could hardly resist the impulse when I left to leave some serious ruts in his yard. My trailer was loaded all the way,and I was in 4 low to give it some more grunt until I got on to pavement. I was seriously tempted to dump the clutch and floor it and give him something more to clean up.
But, I am glad that I didnt. I just got an email from him a mintue ago, says he has referred this to his attorney:jawdrop:
If this goes to small claims court, I want EVERYTHING to show I did what any gentleman would do. Treat him with respect even though he is an idiot.

You've got to be :censored: 'n me!? It crossed my mind while I was reading you're most recent post that a weasel like this might try to sue. I'd be interested in reading this emailed threat of legal action, would you cut and paste or screen capture the ENTIRE email to AS? Maybe there is some information we can use to dissuade him or at least cause him some discomfort.;)

Here is the email that was waiting for me when I got home.

i dont appreciate being talked to like u did when you where here.i dont really care how big you are,u are not going to talk to me like i am some child. i have friends in high places that would love to make your life rough.
please let me know when u can get the rest of the brush up
to the road, including the pine & mulberry in the back that is on the
ground, & when you will be back to cut the stump down, as i want you to
help me carry the black kettle from the back to sit on the stump once it
is cut down to the ground level. i also have sections of poplar in the back that aren't split that i can't get in my fireplace,i will need you to split them up for me. after that we can see about getting you your money
thanks, mark

This is the email that i sent in return

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:43 AM
To:MARK
Subject: FW: hi ed

Two things amaze me. One, you actually think you are entitled to free work around your place, as if I am nothing but as you put it, "a yard boy"

Two, you keep adding things to the list that you want me to do. The original deal was I cut up the big oak in your yard, take the good wood, and haul the brush to the road. Now it has escalated to

you want me to climb up your pine tree and provide my own spotter at my expense and lower the limbs to the ground. Did you really expect me to rope climb YOUR tree and put my life on the line with you as backup? I don’t climb for free, period. It is dangerous work, and I get paid to risk my life.

Then loan you my saw so that you can tear it up after I said point blank that I am not interested in the trees in the backyard. Then you expect me to go clean up YOUR mess that you made with MY saw.

Then you want me to haul all the branches in your backyard to the road.

Then you want me to cut the stump down. I already told you that I don’t grind stumps. Any further down the ground and you run into dirt splashed up by rain and it ruins your chain. I already explained this to you.

Then you want me to haul some kettle out to the stump.

You don’t even have the courtesy to ASK, you issue orders, IE "I want you to...." Well, I am not your yard boy. I have thousands of hours in the woods to learn my trade and I don’t work for free. The original deal was the wood in exchange for the brush of the tree taken to the road. Nothing more. Take the 40 bucks that you owe me and hire the work done. I am not returning to your home under any circumstances.

This is the email that I got in return

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:03 PM
To: Gelstuff.Com
Subject: hope you got a good lawyer

so you want to play hardball huh?do you know who i am?i have sent all emails to my attorney and instructed him to file a suite against u. u have no idea who u are dealing with.my yard is a mess, i have branches hanging over my house that u need to remove,and my neighbor is furious that u havent trimmed her trees yet.u have until the end of today to get this work done,or u will spend a long time in jail.

so you want to play hardball huh?do you know who i am?i have sent all emails to my attorney and instructed him to file a suite against u. u have no idea who u are dealing with.my yard is a mess, i have branches hanging over my house that u need to remove,and my neighbor is furious that u havent trimmed her trees yet.u have until the end of today to get this work done,or u will spend a long time in jail.
:popcorn:
Wow, that's almost as funny as the original "yard boy" comment!!! I really like the part about the neighbor being furious because you haven't done her work for free yet! :D

I don't think I'd bother wasting my time responding to this azz-clown, you'll just be giving him ammo in the event he does attempt some type of legal action... Then again, I don't think I would have responded after seeing the initial email either (sorry to rub salt in the wounds). :dizzy:

:popcorn:
Wow, that's almost as funny as the original "yard boy" comment!!! I really like the part about the neighbor being furious because you haven't done her work for free yet! :D

I don't think I'd bother wasting my time responding to this azz-clown, you'll just be giving him ammo in the event he does attempt some type of legal action... Then again, I don't think I would have responded after seeing the initial email either (sorry to rub salt in the wounds). :dizzy:

The first emails werent too bad, I took them as a guy who had no idea what his wood would buy them. I get them quite frequently. Some folks seem to think that the tree is worth a boatload of money for firewood. some even think that it is worth a bunch for timber.
But, as you noted, things quickly went to he11.
Live and learn I guess.

The first emails werent too bad, I took them as a guy who had no idea what his wood would buy them. I get them quite frequently. Some folks seem to think that the tree is worth a boatload of money for firewood. some even think that it is worth a bunch for timber.
But, as you noted, things quickly went to he11.
Live and learn I guess.

Yeah, I don't think you have much to worry about if he doesn't even know the difference between criminal and civil court. I'm fairly certain you don't hear anything from this guy again.

Maybe you should ask him if the "law suite" is as big as the honeymoon suite.

What lawyer in their right mind wouldn't laugh that request right out of their firm? Even if he did you've got a written record of what happened, the only thing civil action would amount to is a good opportunity to counter sue for the $40 he never paid for damaging your property and the time and aggravation .

Man oh man the nerve of some people. Don't you just love it when people keep tacking on things they want you to do AFTER the deal is struck. This guy is a joke and just wants something for nothing... I don't see where he has a leg to stand on legally. You fulfilled your original commitment and even went above and beyond.. Tell this A-hole to pack sand.....

You should have given him a quote, your hourly rate for the other work, would have solved everything before it started. He could sue, for the principle, you never stated that you would not do the things he asked. You have to be careful of shady people. get it in writing before taking equipment out.

I feel for ya man! But this $hit is funny!

Keep us posted!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm calling BS!! Avalancher, either you're being punked or your punking us! No one can be that ridiculously over the top. I think I might be inclined to forget to omit his email address when I posted his next missive to the forum. But that's just me...:angry2:

You should have given him a quote, your hourly rate for the other work, would have solved everything before it started. He could sue, for the principle, you never stated that you would not do the things he asked. You have to be careful of shady people. get it in writing before taking equipment out.
The majority of these things were not mentioned to begin with, so there was nothing to worry about from the start. it was a simple drop the tree, buck it up, and haul the brush to the street.
Your right, I never said that I wouldnt do all the other stuff, but i also didnt say i wouldnt paint his house, re roof the place, and take his old lady out to dinner. There is no way I could have possibly have forseen any of this. it just got crazier and crazier as it went.

I'm calling BS!! Avalancher, either you're being punked or your punking us! No one can be that ridiculously over the top. I think I might be inclined to forget to omit his email address when I posted his next missive to the forum. But that's just me...:angry2:

What the heck are you talking about? punking you? Are you kidding?

and let me know when you intend to drive up here and strip all of these pine needles from my trees because they keep dropping on the lawn and making it look bad. And when your done with that I'm sure my neighbors here on AS are looking forward to having a yard boy to do a little work.

Have you considered changing your user ID yet? :check:

and let me know when you intend to drive up here and strip all of these pine needles from my trees because they keep dropping on the lawn and making it look bad. And when your done with that I'm sure my neighbors here on AS are looking forward to having a yard boy to do a little work.

Have you considered changing your user ID yet? :check:

your getting out of line here man. I aint out to start any trouble with you.

Okay maybe a bit too far. My sincerest apologies.

I got your PM, sorry I have lost my sense of humor and took yours the wrong way. Like i said in the PM, I aint used to no courtrooms, spent a few years in the Navy, but it did little to interest me in anything but country living. talk about lawsuits and courtrooms rattle my cage big time.

I wouldn't go back and actually I would call the city nuisance department and file an anonymous complaint about the condition of his yard.

He is a not a threat IMO. A person with a credible standing would have the werewithall to pay for your services in the first place. Fat chance a scum like him would shell out the steep fees to hire an attorney at a $200/hr clip. No attorney would take this on a contingency as the damages are likely inconsequential.

The way I look at the evidence in the emails is he is performing usury and all you have to practice at most is ordinary care. There is nothing out of the ordinary for you to perform the labor in the most convenient way for you.

The wood also has no value since an arborist would charge more for its removal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back