Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my legal expereince has been learned the hard way. Keep the words short and sweet, no more responses, and keep the paper trail. You are in fine shape. He has no ground for anything, and if he files small claims court, you counter with arborist wages lost for the day (although some states don't allow that.) You were civil and didn't do anything to excalate it.

Space, here's a nice case for you.everything done right IMO..

His threats remind me of 'the quoations of Cole' on the scambaiter site. hilarious stuff.

http://thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109

k

Holy Schizz-nit!!! I've been reading this thread over and over - the updates are more and more crazy:jawdrop:

I've been following this and having a greater sense of anger and upset for what people on CL are proposing. Just in the last two days:

http://madison.craigslist.org/zip/861579183.html

"cottonwood free if you are willing to cut it up and haul. some small some large "

SERIOUSLY??!?!?

This one is even better - smacks of what Avalancher is going through...

http://madison.craigslist.org/zip/859518067.html

"Hi, here is what we got: All NICE Hardwood, big woods, most all is standing dead. Easy access, with a truck. I would be interested in sharing it. Make a load for you, then make a load for me. If you are interested please call 920-960-1763

thanks!! "

I would be interested in sharing it... Bull F**K ing S**T!!! get your own G-D equipment, drop the trees on your own time (or your own head).

I HATE it when people get rich, think they want to be country folk, buy acreage and then want others to take care of them. Stay in the city where you belong.

Sorry, hijacking the thread.

Pi**ed off in Madison.

Actually, Avalancher, this guy does sound like a real blow hard A-hole who can't back anything up. Some of the statements in the e-mail sound really 'shrill' like someone who's trying to piss you off. OR the person has some serious mental issues. I mean SERIOUS issues.

But just in case, I'd DEFINITELY keep a paper trail - print out all e-mails and correspondence, save voicemails if you've got them.

What's the statute of limitations on this kind of thing? My wife and I had a freind who went to law school - Intellectual Property (patents & things) - and he said you can sue for ANYTHING. You won't always be successful but you CAN sue for anything.

Good luck and Pax Vobiscum.
Tony

avalancher---as said---KEEP ALL THE PAPER TRAILS, AND EMAILS--that guys a KOOK!!! someone needs to pay that idiot a visit late at night---and then tell his wife why it happened--she might beat him also---:)

Any further communication will only further incite him. Good thing you didn't dump the clutch in his yard or then it would have added criminal destruction to his complaint.

You acted admirably in your patience with this nutjob. Print and keep your emails, print the original ad before it expires on CL and makes some notes to yourself in a journal of sometype while your memory is still fresh on this. Tuck them away and forget about. If you hear from him, make a note of his communications in the journal and forget about it.

Do NOT tell him that you will return to finish whatever it is that he wants or his list will keep growing. "He who holds the gold makes the rules." He has your money and if you want it you will have to jump through his hoops , so to speak to get it.

I liked the idea of filing a public nuisance complaint on the guy.

I wonder what the chances are you might be able to place a lien on his home for work preformed. Building supply outlets do it if the contractor doesnt pay up on time after the home is built, mechanics do it on cars so they can sell it to recoup their expenses.

Anybody ever heard the one about the high powered lawyer riding in his car and sees a man and his family along side the road eating grass and tells his driver to pull over for a minute?

If not, He rolls down his window before asking the man what they are doing . The man replies , "Sir I have been on hard times and my family and I are so hungry, this is our last resort."
The lawyer tells him to get his family and get them in his car. He will take them to his house to feed them.
Once they are all in the car and headed to the lawyers house the man is very grateful to him and says as much to the lawyer.
The lawyer waves it off as if it a small thing for him to do this for them and says, "Think nothing of it, I have plenty of grass at my house and you can have all that you want."

Sorry to hear about your aggravation with this guy.

After a bit of thought it came to me that if you returned his precious wood he'd not have any grounds to complain about anything. As it stands all he can claim is that you took his valuable tree without justly compensating him. So, if you want to make a point whilst taking away his only possible (if not at all probable) legal standing, take the wood back. How and where you leave it is up to you.

As has been said, this guy is just a chump with a Napoleon complex. He's blowing hot air in hopes of getting you to do his bidding.

After a bit of thought it came to me that if you returned his precious wood he'd not have any grounds to complain about anything. As it stands all he can claim is that you took his valuable tree without justly compensating him. So, if you want to make a point whilst taking away his only possible (if not at all probable) legal standing, take the wood back. How and where you leave it is up to you.

As has been said, this guy is just a chump with a Napoleon complex. He's blowing hot air in hopes of getting you to do his bidding.

Returning his wood is out of the question, its already split and stacked. But I did as several of you advised, I printed out his original CL posting, all his emails, and made a recording of his rants on my voicemail. I got one brief voicemail from him last night, just a bunch more of his rants.
Thanks to all that have read along with this post and gave me some good sound advise. I have never had to deal with someone like this before, but hopefully I wont have to anymore.
All of you here have been a great help, if nothing more you have reminded me to keep my chin up and retain my sense of humor. Thanks again guys!

Looking at it from another angle...

Rereading post #3 (below) if you did decide to take this job (which you surprisingly did do), you probably should have at the minimum verbally told him you were not going to do any of these additional things before hand. If he did not agree to these terms, that would have been the end of it right there before you ever touched his property. OTOH, by you not not disputing these additional items before taking the red oak, your subsequent actions tend to imply that you were indirectly agreeing to his terms.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1148880&postcount=3

The guy is a POS and what's done is done, but if nothing else you've learned a thing or two from this. Let's just hope this clown is full of hot air and this is the end of the story...

BTW, how wealthy does he appear to be (house, cars, neighborhood, etc)?

Rereading post #3 (below) if you did decide to take this job (which you surprisingly did do), you probably should have at the minimum verbally told him you were not going to do any of these additional things before hand. If he did not agree to these terms, that would have been the end of it right there before you ever touched his property. OTOH, by you not not disputing these additional items before taking the red oak, your subsequent actions tend to imply that you were indirectly agreeing to his terms.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1148880&postcount=3

The guy is a POS and what's done is done, but if nothing else you've learned a thing or two from this. Let's just hope this clown is full of hot air and this is the end of the story...

BTW, how wealthy does he appear to be (house, cars, neighborhood, etc)?

Trust me, that was part of the first conversation that we had when I got there. I really didnt mind knocking down a few trees for him in the back with the idea that he would drag off the wood himself. The real issue was the pine tree he had close to the house that had a lot of broken limbs hanging from it. I explained that to get up there meant climbing of which I dont do for free, plus gaffs would certainly destroy the tree. After I told him that I had no interest in the trees for firewood in the back, he seemed alright. then he borrowed my saw without asking, tore it up, and began his list of demands that i needed to meet before he would pay up for the repairs to my saw. His language at first was "can you do for me" and quickly escalated into "you are going to do." I get requests like that quite frequently, and for the most part I dont mind knocking off some limbs or removing a small dead tree. The problems arrive when they expect me to not only knock the limbs down but haul them to the road as well. More than once I have followed a guy around the yard, knocked off limbs, and had the homeowner haul them away.
The first meeting seemed to go alright, and he seemed perfectly normal and okay.
If I had an inkling at that time that he was a nut, I would have walked.

As far as wealthy, his neighborhood is nothing but high end homes, most Im sure would run in the 800K neighborhood or better(big dollars around here)hes got money, just doesnt want to spend any of it.

Avalancher,

The guy is a total nut case. And any judge that gets this in his court room will laugh him right out the door. You did the right thing. Keep all the paperwork, because in the end, it will wind up costing him money, if it gets that far. And if he files, then you counter, for the torn up saw.

It really stinks that there are people out there like this, and the sad fact is, they are breading. :dizzy:

Edit: Another thing you might want to think about, is going back, without him knowing and taking pictures, the way it sits now. Just as a backup.

Last edited:
Edit: Another thing you might want to think about, is going back, without him knowing and taking pictures, the way it sits now. Just as a backup.

Very good idea! CYA as much as possible since it sounds like he has the funds to be a prick by filing some type of legal action.

Last edited:
Like running a business without a license?

Tax evasion?

What would be the value of the removed trees if the homeowner claimed the wrong trees were removed?

Insured?

Come on man, cut me some slack here, will you?
Sheesh, a guy cant win sometimes.

those fishtanks are quite expensive with all of that stuff in there, especially if he has any exotic fish. it dosent take long to rack up the cost with fish, since they need lots of special care.

Depends on how much a cord is going for up that way. Being that it appears to be a planted tank he may have all kinds of expensive goodies like lighting, CO2 injection. Not cheap to do.

Lets say he ment face cords and $75.00 is the going rate. A fish tank costs over $1,000.00? WOW!--thats stupid--can't even pet them!

Lets say he ment face cords and $75.00 is the going rate. A fish tank costs over $1,000.00? WOW!--thats stupid--can't even pet them!

I don't wanna make you choke on your wheaties or anything but that tank alone was probably $500. $1000 for just an empty 150 gallon aquarium with an oak stand and canopy would be cheap.

The only plant I can make out there may be Elodea (sp?), which won't grow well with a regular old canopy. I would venture he's got at least $350 in lighting to boot.

Last edited:
Can you fence a yard? I will give you old shed - $1 (Dustin Ok)

Can you fence a yard? I will give you old shed - $1 (Dustin Ok)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-09-29, 1:50PM CDT

My mom lives out in the country and there are alot of coyotes and bobcats around here. I tried helping her get a dog but she doesn't want one because we lost our favorite one a few months back. Maybe if someone can fence in the yard for us that has old fence or unwanted fence then that would keep them out we could give you our old shed. It still has some tin on it and all the wood from it you could have too. We will be moving soon and she is there by herself since my dad passed a few months back. I hope if anyone can do this or has a better idea just call or write, my number is 618-xxx-xxxx,thank you. Here is the picture of our shed.

1241411g6ZZZZZZZZZ89t4f296db5af661324.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back