Craning some biggies today1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHOA!!!

I'm in awe. that is too cool. you're right Gord, my whole perspective on big tree removal just changed. Wow!

graeme has some amazing pics of eagle nests in malaysia he was paid to set the cameras up for a documentry lone trees on cliff sides

second time working with a crane but last time i was in a bucket , I tell ya its a real strange feeling first time you see a log lifting off, almost like being a groundie again (not quite a brown corderoy pants moment but i still think i prefer large removals where i can rope or fell in smaller sections.)
:eek:

Quite a tree there proarbor!! Is that a pinus? It's certainly a bit bigger than the pine we removed a while back that produced 40 yards of chips and around 8 cord of wood. It was 16 feet circ. on the butt. Dark pic shows me using a 42 inch bar on the 3120 at 10 feet up, and it was too small to cut through, which really complicated making the cut....one of the few times I've had the big saw aloft.

Biggest stick I've craned was a young sequoia, 24 feet long and 12 tons, 9 feet at the butt.

Can you identify some of the other trees in the photos? Most of them look huge!

More than just big euc reglans down under, it would appear!

Rumination and anyone interested, these cherries in my yard are prunus subhirtella, var. amanogawa.

plenty of big eucalypts rb not alot of the varietys you deal with it was an eye opener 4 me,i took out a large cali red wood years ago for free to get the log wood not many of them here but the grain was no good to mill as it grows diffrent here,i went and qouted the largest cypress pine ive ever seen today still scratching my head trying to work out

the biggest reglan is near my place ill post a pic its called the ada tree,another place nearby is the site of worlds tallest tree some thoughtful people cut it down to measure it!south of me is the strezleki ranges it had the worlds best hardwood but was all burnt out clearing for farm land 100+years ago it still has some huge blackwoods(acacia)

[QUOTE

More than just big euc reglans down under, it would appear! [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry to have taken so long to reply RB but i was out doing some quotes.
:p
The project tree was a Araucaria cunninghamii within the grounds of the Adelaide Botanical Gardens, unfortunately it was making a bit of a habit of shedding some of its lateral branches ( The wood is very carroty) and the gardeners were refusing to work under it for safety reasons. I have included a link to a site with information and a photo of this species.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/anbg/conifers/araucaria-cunning.html

I will take a look at the photos again later and id some of the trees for you.

:Monkey:

No stubs for this monkey MB Thanks

I Am including a pic of a Eucaluptus Camaldulensis (River Red Gum) That i think you may find to be an eye opener ( Tree size in SA) These are my fav species to climb/ maintinence prune and one of the spiecies I learnt in.

Did you spot me ? I was one of three guys who pruned this tree about four years ago (before I started Proarbor) We had to do some lateral reductions as well as a slight canopy thin and dead wood. From the top of this tree it felt like you could see forever.:D

Cool, here's a link to the only araucaria we have in the US, at least that I'm aware of. Real buggers to work on...strange wood too, sappy stuff that can eat on you and your equipment. I've only wroked on a few, and removed one...it was no more than 22 inches dbh, and 50 feet tall, but made 12 yards of chips.

http://www.victorialodging.com/monkey_puzzle_tree.htm

i'd love to hear more of the folklore about these tall trees. Robert Van Pelt, who scientifically measures big trees, has visited the euc forests, and, from his research, found no evidence or proof that eucs ever hit 400 feet....But, as fast as they grow, it sure wouldn't surprise me if they did..and I've heard stories of ones approaching 500 feet.

For that matter, he said there's no concrete proof that redwoods ever reached 400 feet, but I'll bet they did also. The tallest documented tree fell over in 1931. It was a douglas fir here in Washington, and measured 393 feet.

not sure if im 100%correct but tasmanian blue gums are worlds 2nd quikest growing hardwood,quikest is a peruvian variety i think i have cut them back serverley doing line work and there back there in no time

Back