Crazy Burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Reaction score
I've come across quite a few nice burls while cutting and splitting firewood. Red Oaks tend to have some nice ones. The one I found today is really cool. I snapped a pic of it and went on working, didn't really pay close attention to it's details. After looking at the picture, I couldn't believe what I saw. There is a distinct facial/animal form to it, it looks like a small bear's head or maybe a monkey. What do you see?

Anyone else ever come across a cool looking burl and have a pic to share?

IMAG0606.jpg

So far I haven't done anything with them except for admiring them for a minute and then throwing them in the pile. But this one is special. I thought about cutting it into a block and leaving the face of the burl(literally) as is, but I kind of like the natural look. I might just trim the ends so it sits square and display it as is.

go to the political forum. they'll love you there............

Olyman, Iron Worker was joking. His signature at the bottom says Atheist. It's all an elaborate plan on his part to get that burl for next to nothing then sell it on ebay for super high $$$ to some holy roller that's sitting there saying to themselves "hey...I see jesus too!" Very slick Iron Worker. very slick on your part. :D

I see $ sitting there in that picture. I have a few loggers at Church who bring me one from time to time. Before the kids I would make pens and bowls on the lathe out of them. Some burl pen blanks went for $10-$20 a pop 5-6 years ago when I had time. The blanks are typically a 1x1x6" piece for an idea. Not sure what the prices are now.

that one show that guy goes around buying burls for thousands, course thats the whole tree/root. Yours is pretty, should be worth something. And for the record first thing i saw was the cocker spaniel.

I was thinking the face at the top looks like a cocker spaniel too. So many different forms in it, it's just mesmerizing to look at.

I'd like to keep it because it's so unique. But I wouldn't be against selling it, especially to someone who would use it for turning out pieces.

Back