Crazy Burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've come across quite a few nice burls while cutting and splitting firewood. Red Oaks tend to have some nice ones. The one I found today is really cool. I snapped a pic of it and went on working, didn't really pay close attention to it's details. After looking at the picture, I couldn't believe what I saw. There is a distinct facial/animal form to it, it looks like a small bear's head or maybe a monkey. What do you see?

Anyone else ever come across a cool looking burl and have a pic to share?

View attachment 373999

Looks like this guy formed a swim team and too the curvey route from Stockholm to Oslo!

20140722174951!The_Scream_Pastel.jpg

Saw these when I was out deer hunting today. That first one has the largest burl to trunk ratio I've ever seen. Picture doesn't really do it justice but it's a cool burl.

image.jpeg

This one was dead and is already growing fungi so it's probably beyond salvage :(
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Apparently the forester was having a good day when he marked this sale.
image.jpeg

Black ash. Only ash and spruce seem to produce burls here. I can imagine cherry burls would be beautiful.
@svk Wood turners around here like to work with cherry burls. I had a friend of mine make a couple of these cone forms for making Krumkake. Norsky's on the forum will know what kind of cookie they are. I have included a shot of the latest batch I made last week.DSC01551.JPG
DSC01550.JPG

I've eaten those many times. Lots of Norwegians up here.
That batch of Krumkake went to the Christian Women's auction this Tuesday that my wife goes to. Brought in $12.50 per dozen and we donated 4 dozen. It all goes to a good cause.

@svk Were those trees with the burls cherry? It is the cherry trees that produce the burls in my woods.

Burled cherry trees are very common here as well. I know of a city park in St. Louis where almost every cherry has at least one sizable burl. I have a suspicion it is caused by a fungal infection.

Back