Crazy Idea, or am I on to something here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I was out cutting wood the other day thinking bout things, and I sorta came up with this idea for a sorta glorified log splitter. Ive done a very ruff drawing to sorta help explane my thoughts.

attachment.php

Now, keep in mind this would really only be used for splitting my logging truck loads (stationary unit) so most of the stuff on the loads is pretty well dead straight. Lodgepole pine/jack pine.

The idea here is the use the log as the "push" to feed the cut pieces into the splitter head. The traiangles on the bottom of the splitter would be 16" apart so each cycle of the machine would produce perfect 16" pieces. It would feed the whole log into the machine till it just touched the splitting head at which time you would use the hinge mounted or whatever saw to cut the piece.leaving you with a 16" piece between the cutting head and the rest of the log. Now on the next cycle the ram would push the whole log over 16" getting it ready to be cut again, and in the mean time the piece you just cut is getting fed the the splitter. As your ram is cyciling back is when your running the saw portion so there is no down time waiting for things to cycle.

Now i realize this machine could really only handle 8-10' piece which is ok as i do not own anyhitng to load logs with, also its nice casue there limited things to go wrong, with only 1 cylinder and 1 valve.

I dont really think im gonna build one, but it was an idea i had and i cant tell if its just plain stupid or if theres somethign to it.

I just re-read what i posted earlier and even im confussed as to what i ment. ima do up a 3d autocad project sometime this week and ill post that, if i can figure out how to animate it, i will. Should give a better idea of what im talking about.

I think I understand from your drawing. Interesting concept. One concern would be the amount of force needed to move the log and push the cut piece into the splitter. And you would have to split into multiple pieces cause you couldn't put a piece back in - but you drawing shows a multifaced splitting wedge.

Interesting idea. If im understanding basically ts a firewood processor, but instead of the cut piece falling into the splitter portion you are wanting to combine it into a linear setup. Would require a 10'+ ram on your cylinder. Which would make the unit 20'+ long. Unless I am not undertanding the setup your wanting. Or are you talking about having a line of cut pieces pushing against each other feeding into the wedge? This would require shorter ram. In that case with the shorter ram how would you clear all the cut pieces through wedge if you didnt have another log to push them through. Im not knocking your idea or anything, just brainstorming with you. Interesting concept, definetly got me thinking.

Last edited:
had a bit of time tonight to get a start on the 3d cad project......couldent sleep....again.

anyway heres a screenshot....might explaine it better

attachment.php

204842-pic2-jpg

have more on this come tommorow.

Last edited:
Got me thinking too...
There would need to be a mechanism to get the whole log plate and ram back to the starting position once you have pushed the whole log through. Would you be cutting the logs where the yellow frame ends? If so you would really have to watch that you don't cut down to the red push plate.

I would switch things around and solid mount the cylinder to the push block and sold mount the saw tooth under the cylinder or to the black part so the push block rides in the channel on bearings with the cylinder allowing you to cut after the split with no interfierance from the sawtooth. this way the cylinder can continue to auto cycle and move up all by its self with no fancy mechanisms only the cylinder stroke and gravity. Like a ratchet. You could return the cylinder to its origional position with some large tension springs almost like the super splitters. you just have to work out how you would get the ball rolling again with the hydraulics. Just a thought.

The more I think about this the more i think it could work.

woodhooker.... i like that idea, i was having a hrd time commin up with a way to have the cylinder engage from below...played around with a few ideas and they all seemed to weak, or just simply wernt gonna work. Ill try it with the "teeth" on the lower bar and the cylinder in the "pushrod"....The cylinder would have to be lifted to miss the teeth to return it to the start tho...

anyways heres what ive got now, did this up befor i read the thread. Ive removed the hydrolic cyliiner in this pic....was gonna come back to the later. Might also add a lifting arm to get the logs up on the the machine. could man handle the 12' logs but this would be easier.....also complecate my simple machine tho.

The logs would sit on the blue bars, not between them. thus giving you room under the log so when you cut thru theres no rick of hitting the yellow bars with you saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Worm gear a long rack and pinion style as on the SS splitters. Wonder what a 12' rack would cost?

Havwnt had much time to work on this lately, but recent events have opened up some time for me.

Sell firewood..in the ad says bundles of kindling available.Anyway some yahoo calls me up, dosent want a load of wood but wants 8 bundles of kindeling and wants it as soon as possible. So me bieng me looks at the clock, says shure thing have that over to you tonight. It was getting dark soon but I thought I can get er done if I split with some pep in my step. Long story shot, 5 stitches in the side of my finger. Cant grip tight on an axe if my life depended on it.

I was having a hard time gettin over the "angle of approach" on the hydrolic cylinder. By the time I left enought room the the 5" ram, clearence for the "tirangle puch plates" and room for the whole mechanism to disengage do reset back the start the angle was greater then i wanted. Dont want to put undue stress on the rig and lose potential pushing power by exerting a verticle force with the ram. Rack and pinion solves that nicely.

Im sorta learning this autodesk program as I go, never done gears befor. Will update with pics once ive figured that bit out.

Latest posts

Back