Creosote prevention question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess folks around here just like to live on the edge. i know of 6 people who intentionaly over heat their stove( by burning newspapers or cardboard) and start small chimney fires several times a year, usually when there is snow on the roof or it is raining (just in case something comes out of the chimney and lands on the roof). makes sence to me...

as long as you are there to make sure nothing gets out of hand, and your pipe can handle it, and you can damper everything down to seal it off and put out the fire if need be.... what could it hurt.

that said... i've been through a house fire (NOT related to burning wood, it was in the summer) and i wouldn't wish it uppon anyone... be careful whatever you do.

i'm sure that i have just :censored:'ed off a lot of people, so go ahead, let me have it...

Metal flues are only rated to have a couple flue fires in them for short amounts of time.
Then they need to be replaced.
Replacement costs can be in the thousands of $$$$$.
Some double wall insulated flues can have the insulation cave or droop causing a bear spot .Because 2" of clearence is all that's required ...it's prime for burning your home down.

In liew of creating a chimney fire I'd think a good brushing would be the better option.

Last edited:
I love the sooteater! I clean my round 6" liner from the basement every month with it . When its time to replace the whipline, I just use .095 string trimmer line on a bulk roll. To get the line straight, I cut all the pieces slightly longer than I need and drop them in a pan of boiling water and they straighten out in seconds, then install and trim to fit my liner. I use a 1/2 electric hammer drill set on low speed (not on the hammer settiing) for the torque, my 30' liner would kill a 3/8 cordless drill quick.

sooteater.jpg

Last edited:
Just a tip: I purchased my SooEater at our local True Value Hardware store but it does cost about $10 less on the internet but then you pay for shipping....

Shari

Thanks for the tip! :cheers: I probably would have to buy a bigger drill, though. Still cheaper though. :) It would be the time to get a Milwaukee hammer drill though! :D I have lots of projects that a beast like that would be help on. :)

I love the sooteater! I clean my round 6" liner from the basement every month with it . When its time to replace the whipline, I just use .095 string trimmer line on a bulk roll. To get the line straight, I cut all the pieces slightly longer than I need and drop them in a pan of boiling water and they straighten out in seconds, then install and trim to fit my liner. I use a 1/2 electric hammer drill set on low speed (not on the hammer settiing) for the torque, my 30' liner would kill a 3/8 cordless drill quick. (image clipped)
Very nice.

The manufacturer of our fireplace states that we should be burning at 932 degrees and up in the upper part of the firebox in the region just before it enters the chimney. I asked them what was "up"? They said the maximum temperature of my double wall stainless steel chimney which is 2100 degrees.
There is an OVERABUNDANCE of heat coming into the room so it is not done for long at these high temps of above 900 although flames look pretty neat in the firebox flowing around the red hot tubes.

There is a baffle in this region shielding the chimney entrance and when I use a Laser thermometer with adjustable emissivity I get readings between 950 and 1300 at a given fire with dampers closed. I guess I need to find a fire rated contact thermometer for laser. When I got the readings of 1300 with the firebox filled with boiling flame and all the tubes red, I was hoping it would die down soon. I could not imagine it getting over-fired above 2100. At the time the wood in the fireplace was Cherry, Ash & Ironwood logs.

Lennox also said using cardboard or lumber could produce higher temperatures and quick hot temperatures. Last year we only had less than half a 2# can of dry ash fall down from the clean out after a full season of burning.

i guess folks around here just like to live on the edge. i know of 6 people who intentionaly over heat their stove( by burning newspapers or cardboard) and start small chimney fires several times a year, usually when there is snow on the roof or it is raining (just in case something comes out of the chimney and lands on the roof). makes sence to me...

as long as you are there to make sure nothing gets out of hand, and your pipe can handle it, and you can damper everything down to seal it off and put out the fire if need be.... what could it hurt.

that said... i've been through a house fire (NOT related to burning wood, it was in the summer) and i wouldn't wish it uppon anyone... be careful whatever you do.

i'm sure that i have just :censored:'ed off a lot of people, so go ahead, let me have it...

Stupid advise; Some idiot will think I saw it on the internet so it must be good advise.
What if there was shoddy construction during the install job of the pipe like ours that we luckily caught during the install. Minimum clearance required 7 inches and installers were installing it 2 inches away from wood wall.

Our neighbor sells fire extinguishers so you think he would be smart about fire? NO! But then again he lets his kids play horsie on the splitter while he is running it.
Anyway a couple of years ago there were several fire trucks lining our street all to put his chimney fire out that spread to his attic and interior room.
He did not have enough fire extinguishers in his van he uses for sales or maybe the knowledge how to use them all to put the fire out himself before it got out of control.

Latest posts

Back