Creosote problem solved - hopefully!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, I always heard on here that burning cans works because you had a hot fire to dry out the creosote. Now I'm hearing it actually has a chemical effect on the creosote. :dizzy:

Manganese does permeate sticky and glazed deposits loosening them up, I used to use a manganese spray to treat chimneys that were glazed or sticky that wouldn't come reasonably clean from brushing.

I find that TSP (trisodium phosphate powder) two half cup treatments in the fire over a weeks time prior to sweeping a really dirty bad chimney get's it all gone in one cleaning. Lots of people buy TSP based branded cleaners, you can get a whole pound of powder for just a few dollars at most hardware stores.

I use a couple spoon fulls in my stove added to a hot fire before I sweep it, what little accumulates near the last top two feet of the chimney and on the cap just falls off and lays in the bottom of the clean out lid in my T on the outside wall before the brush has a chance to get at it. There's really nothing left to sweep out aside from some fine ash and dust.

Back